Community
Wiki Posts
Search

duty situation

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 12:26 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Not a chance I would do this. First, if the jewelry was lost or stolen during your trip they'd probably hold you accountable. Second it's very easy to ship stuff from Paris to North America so the only reason I can see not to ship it is they're trying to avoid taxes. No win scenario for you, and in the end you're doing a risky favor for a not close friend.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In ca 20 years of marriage where we have been travelling together, neither my wife nor I have ever been asked about any jewellery we were wearing. Now, I don't really have anything other than a moderately expensive watch, but my wife has a few pieces that she often wears. No one has ever asked whether the jewellery belonged to us, or to produce ownership certificates or whatever. YMMV.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 23, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 11:25 am

What type of jewelry are we talking about? If you can wear it, just wear it through customs. I've bought a handful of expensive watches in Hong Kong and just wear them back each time.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
What type of jewelry are we talking about? If you can wear it, just wear it through customs. I've bought a handful of expensive watches in Hong Kong and just wear them back each time.
and what do you do with the box and papers?
Old May 23, 2018, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thelark

and what do you do with the box and papers?
Eh, mails them to himself?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by T2A
Not a chance I would do this. First, if the jewelry was lost or stolen during your trip they'd probably hold you accountable. Second it's very easy to ship stuff from Paris to North America so the only reason I can see not to ship it is they're trying to avoid taxes. No win scenario for you, and in the end you're doing a risky favor for a not close friend.
Exactly. I can only think of 2 nearly lifelong friends for whom I would even consider doing something like this - and those friends would never ask me to do it in the first place.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Thinking about smuggling/violating US Customs policy for a "not very close friend"?

Really?
ajGoes and Proudelitist like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP's situation sounds too much like a possible scam. Asked to do it by a "not very close friend" I would not even entertain the idea.

Even asked by a person I trusted, I would not entertain the idea of making an untruthful statement to customs officials. (Note, simply failing to list the item on a customs form is not just a "white lie" but an outright lie as you are instructed to list ALL items and sign your name affirming that you have done so.) I would inform the friend that s/he needed to understand the applicable import rules and prepare declarations/tax payments to my satisfaction prior to the trip.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ente_09
I mentioned to a ( not very close ) friend that I will soon going to Paris . He said there is a jeweler there holding a pretty expensive piece of jewelry for him and wondered if I could pass there and pick it up for him .

I'm a little hesitant because I think you're supposed to declare such items and the duty tax on this could amount to hundreds of dollars .I don't want to get in the middle of having to be detained at the airport and pay these fees . I know most people just hide the jewelry in their suitcase and don't declare it , but again don't know what the downside is .

So my question is what's the likelihood of me getting into trouble if I just put this in my checked in suitcase and don't declare it ?

Basic rule....never carry anything for anyone other than you.

YOU take on all the risk here. And there is more than you think. Jewels are a means of laundering or hiding money. It also may be stolen. They can finance other organized crimes or terrorism. Sounds like you would end up getting involved in a criminal enterprise as their patsy.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Eh, mails them to himself?
This will not work.

i personaly know 3 people on a huge watch forum who had said box and papers confiscated and then they were flagged for future reference in the CBSA computers.

Last edited by KDS777; May 27, 2018 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.