Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FAA requirement for working fasten seatbelt lights?

Old May 18, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

I was on a US domestic flight yesterday that did not have working fasten seatbelt lights. They never lit up. The pilots were aware and would still trigger the chime and then announce over the PA whether the sign should be considered on or off. Is this compliant with law/regulation? Does it matter whether the issue was noticed on ground or in the air?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2018, 12:33 pm

I can't post links yet but Google the FAA CFR Title 14, volume 3, part 135.

Scroll to the bottom right-hand side of page 424, section 135.177(a)(2).

This appears to relate to all flights capable of seating more than 19 passengers.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am not aware of any rule which would ground the aircraft so long as the crew made the proper announcements.

There are a broad array of maintenance issues which may be logged and deferred, but do require additional care and action by the crew.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by tjtjtjtj
Does it matter whether the issue was noticed on ground or in the air?!
Every US airline (121/135) operates under a Minimum Equipment List (MEL). These MELs and their cousin NEFs (Non-essential Equipment and Furnishings) allow the airline to operate aircraft with certain specific equipment inoperative. Through these FAA certified programs once an item is discovered broken and that item is listed accordingly then it can be deferred per the MEL/NEF for a specific length of time. Each deferment requires a signature and usually some type of remedial action like the voice announcement in your example. These deferment programs are highly regulated and used in all areas of the aviation industry.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JMorgana
I can't post links yet but Google the FAA CFR Title 14, volume 3, part 135.

Scroll to the bottom right-hand side of page 424, section 135.177(a)(2).

This appears to relate to all flights capable of seating more than 19 passengers.
§ 135.177 Emergency equipment requirements for aircraft having a passenger seating configuration of more than 19 passengers.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft having a passenger seating configuration, excluding any pilot seat, of more than 19 seats unless it is equipped with the following emergency equipment:

(2) A crash axe carried so as to be accessible to the crew but inaccessible to passengers during normal operations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.