Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic Economy vs. United Premium Economy

Old May 16, 18, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Flying IAD > LHR

My options are VA Economy (A330-300) or United Premium Economy (787). Seat width looks to be the same. More pitch on the United flight.

I've never flown VA but have done this route a few times with United 787 Premium Economy with no complaints.

Wondering if it is worth sitting economy on VA?
Old May 16, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
Since you've flown UA you know that it's not a true Premium Economy product but just an Economy Plus section with extra legroom and a bit more pitch.

VS (VA is Virgin Australia) PE is a true PE so if that's available it would be worth it (bigger seat with significantly more pitch, better food / drink / service / etc.).

VS Y likely has better service (though YMMV) than UA but if pitch / legroom is important to you, UA in E+ is probably the best option if VS PE isn't in the cards.
Old May 16, 18, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
OP is asking about UA Economy Plus v VS Y (not PE, which will be significantly more expensive). In this case, since all you care about is maximising sleep on a short flight, I'd choose UA. Y+ legroom is very generous.
Old May 16, 18, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Since you've flown UA you know that it's not a true Premium Economy product but just an Economy Plus section with extra legroom and a bit more pitch.

VS (VA is Virgin Australia) PE is a true PE so if that's available it would be worth it (bigger seat with significantly more pitch, better food / drink / service / etc.).

VS Y likely has better service (though YMMV) than UA but if pitch / legroom is important to you, UA in E+ is probably the best option if VS PE isn't in the cards.
Unfortunately VS PE is not an option
Old May 16, 18, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
OP is asking about UA Economy Plus v VS Y (not PE, which will be significantly more expensive). In this case, since all you care about is maximising sleep on a short flight, I'd choose UA. Y+ legroom is very generous.
Yes my focus is on comfort and room. Drinks and food doesn't matter.
Old May 16, 18, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
@RedWingNut, if you happen to have any points that can be transferred to VS you can potentially find an off-peak award in PE for your dates. The availability has been pretty good to me over the years. Taxes & Fees are still what they are but for a small amount of points you get high value by being able to sit in PE instead.

Otherwise. I see the UA EconomyPlus option for comfort & entertainment to be nice and the later departure helps many get solid sleep on the short flight over and arriving late morning instead of before breakfast time.
Old May 16, 18, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
@RedWingNut, if you happen to have any points that can be transferred to VS you can potentially find an off-peak award in PE for your dates. The availability has been pretty good to me over the years. Taxes & Fees are still what they are but for a small amount of points you get high value by being able to sit in PE instead.

Otherwise. I see the UA EconomyPlus option for comfort & entertainment to be nice and the later departure helps many get solid sleep on the short flight over and arriving late morning instead of before breakfast time.
I don't fly often so I don't rack up points real fast. And I enjoy that late flight arraving late morning. Works perfect. Spend the rest of the day in London. Good night sleep. And ready to go next day for work. Then grab the 730am back to Dulles and be at my house before 1230 pm.
Old May 16, 18, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by RedWingNut View Post
Then grab the 730am back to Dulles and be at my house before 1230 pm.
I have taken this flight many times. What is awesome about it, is that you are the first international flight into IAD, so CBP takes about one minute.