Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

SFO to SYD. Best Business Class Experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to SYD. Best Business Class Experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Duke787
I understand not wanting to give UA your money but are you really willing to give up 75k RDMs (let's say $7k after taxes x 11 1K MQM bonus and the 75k cap)? The VA option gives you ~31.2k SkyPesos (15.6k in total distance at 200% RDMs for a J ticket).

If you were a DL person, I'd say the VA option is the easy one. It nets 40% MQDs which puts you at $6240 (aka enough for DL Gold off one trip) but presumably you don't have the 50k MQMs that you'd need to go with that (you'd likely net 150% MQMs so 23.4k).

31.2k SkyPesos gets you a OW Y TATL flight or a perhaps a OW domestic F ticket if you hit the right timing vs. 75k additional UA miles gives you a OW TATL J ticket or a OW TPAC J ticket (or nearly if you are using partners).

It sucks to give the dollars to United but if it were me, I'd rather just suck it up because of the higher ROI.

I'm surprised that NH requires a change of airport. You should be able to go SFO - HND - SYD but maybe United isn't willing to sell that since it competes with their SFO - SYD flight (you'd have to fly United on SFO - HND and then connect to NH for HND - SYD with a long layover at HND).
Thank you for the opinion. Yes, but I don't need any more United Miles. I am already cleared for 1k with my crazy traveling, and 1K is near useless these days. I almost never get upgraded as a 1k, despite using GPU/RPU/ or whatever the PU's you can think of. 1K is near useless, so I am done playing the frequent flier game. I couldn't care less about the stupid frequent flier programs any more; they are just a stupid game that these airlines set up. I just want a nice product and a nice experience, especially since I am not paying the full priced airfare.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Thank you for the opinion. Yes, but I don't need any more United Miles. I am already cleared for 1k with my crazy traveling, and 1K is near useless these days. I almost never get upgraded as a 1k, despite using GPU/RPU/ or whatever the PU's you can think of. 1K is near useless, so I am done playing the frequent flier game. I couldn't care less about the stupid frequent flier programs any more; they are just a stupid game that these airlines set up. I just want a nice product and a nice experience, especially since I am not paying the full priced airfare.
Fair enough! In that case I think VA is probably the best option
Old May 16, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thank you so much for the correction. Yes, you right. I should have stated that I would rather not fly in the herringbone business class. I have flown the herringbone business class, and it just does not seem very luxurious.
Thank you! There seems to be some great love of ANZ's product on this forum but I just cant get over the herringbone product. I mean who wants to stare at someone else the whole flight. Plus anyone in the aisle can see everyone. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by nrunning24
Thank you! There seems to be some great love of ANZ's product on this forum but I just cant get over the herringbone product. I mean who wants to stare at someone else the whole flight. Plus anyone in the aisle can see everyone. It doesn't make any sense to me.
You cant see anyone from your seat on NZ's herringbone seats because of the angle, and no one can see you unless they lean out.
Actually far more private than United's set up
Old May 17, 2018, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think you are emphasizing the wrong thing. I have flown LAX to either MEL or SYD a few times. Mostly on UA747s and once on a Qantas 747 or 777. But the one that was really different was the Qantas A380. And I wasn't even in business but in premium economy. In fact on that trip I went to Australia on the A380 and back on the 747. The difference was night and day. When I landed in Australia I was literally thinking, I don't feel like crap like I usually do on a flight this long. The newer generation of planes have better pressurization systems and I think moisture and air circulation systems as well. Take the UA787. On a flight that long it matters.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
One other option I don't see anywhere:

SFO - MEL - SYD on QF

Would give you 1-2-1 on the new 787 for the long hop. However, it's not a daily flight so might not work for you
Old May 20, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Fair enough! In that case I think VA is probably the best option
Agree! Thanks for your help.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

One other option I don't see anywhere:

SFO - MEL - SYD on QF

Would give you 1-2-1 on the new 787 for the long hop. However, it's not a daily flight so might not work for you
Awesome. Thank you. This is a great suggestion that I hadn't thought of!!

I am so surprised that given the amount of wealth and money in the San Francisco bay area, neither Qantas nor UA want to put in their best product on flights to SYD. They still use their crappy old products and charge $8000 for the flight.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrunning24
I agree. plus, it's so narrow and seems like a coffin
Old May 20, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You cant see anyone from your seat on NZ's herringbone seats because of the angle, and no one can see you unless they lean out.
Actually far more private than United's set up
I agree. However, one is continually staring at other people's feet. Some people take their socks off, and it's quite nasty. Plus, I don't like the "coffin-like" experience.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Awesome. Thank you. This is a great suggestion that I hadn't thought of!!

I am so surprised that given the amount of wealth and money in the San Francisco bay area, neither Qantas nor UA want to put in their best product on flights to SYD. They still use their crappy old products and charge $8000 for the flight.
If that schedule works for you it is a great option since it's a 787. Really, focusing on seating arrangements on a flight this long is like the proverbial "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic". The differences in seating are trivial compared to the cabin environment in the current generation of planes like 787s of A380s.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
If that schedule works for you it is a great option since it's a 787. Really, focusing on seating arrangements on a flight this long is like the proverbial "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic". The differences in seating are trivial compared to the cabin environment in the current generation of planes like 787s of A380s.
Very true. However, I have flown the 787 vs the 777. I didn't notice a significant difference in the 787 and the cabin environment. That is, I didn't feel "fresher" after being on the 787 compared to the 777. It did not feel as dry in the 787, but I did not notice a huge difference compared to the 777.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United MileagePlus Silver
I've not done 1 and 3 (except SFO-SIN with the 2-2-2 configuration, which was unacceptable) but have taken VA SFO-SYD multiple times and cannot recommend it highly enough. Good food, great seat, much better privacy than the 2-2-2, and to top it off, the bar is small but magnificent.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Girlmusttravel
I've not done 1 and 3 (except SFO-SIN with the 2-2-2 configuration, which was unacceptable) but have taken VA SFO-SYD multiple times and cannot recommend it highly enough. Good food, great seat, much better privacy than the 2-2-2, and to top it off, the bar is small but magnificent.
Thank you. Great advice. Was the SFO_SYD routing via LAX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.