Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wrp96
There's a flyer on United who has done over 1 million BIS miles over multiple years. He's on his way to 20 million lifetime BIS miles on UA, if he's not there already (I haven't looked recently). And yes he's a FTer.
On typical/avg basis he does Australia weekly. Assuming ord-sfo-syd that's ballparking 20k-miles weekly, making 1M BIS annually.

No doubt a grind, but sleeping on a flat bed on the long haul beats an AM/PM daily hypothetical schedule
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by hfly
For the little traveled leisure travelers out there, here is why walking on the travelator, getting through security quicker, using fast track lines, bringing carryon and never checking (or at least as little as possible matters:

If you travel twice a year and arrive 3 hours before the flight, take your time for everything, check your bags, that is your right, it adds perhaps costs you an extra 12 hours to your four one way flights, and you may need that time to figure out all the really confusing aspects of your travel. It has no impact on your life in reality.

If you average 118 flights a year for two decades (let's say 120 to make the numbers even), a savings of 2 hours per flight, means a savings of 240 hours per year, or quite literally 10 DAYS, over a 20 year period this is a savings of 200 DAYS. This is NOT insignificant, and why VFF's especially those familiarwith a route/airport/airline do not show up at the airport earlier than they have to, do not want to check-in bags, have the temerity to want to walk on the travelators, etc.
One could equally argue that's just poor time management on your part. That time in the airport could be used effectively - you don't have to sit/stand there doing nothing and hopefully you're getting paid for it anyway. Do it right and the travel experience might improve.
Someone once commented that they have more time (say 2 hours) to spend with their family - a benefit for most. Grabbing an hours sleep in the airport means they could have been with their family and been awake for an extra hour, rather than two hours at home but fast asleep.
As stated many times, there's no right or wrong but whatever suits the individual, but your post doesn't allow for that and indicates you think anyone not doing as you do is wrong. They aren't.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Someone once commented that they have more time (say 2 hours) to spend with their family - a benefit for most. Grabbing an hours sleep in the airport means they could have been with their family and been awake for an extra hour, rather than two hours at home but fast asleep.
"Grabbing an hours sleep in the airport" isn't even a poor approximation of an extra hour in your own bed, assuming you can even find a place to sleep and get back to sleep, and then wake on time to board.

Anybody who's doing 120 flights/year is probably pretty good at taking advantage of time in the airport to be effective, as well as navigating airports efficiently. Given the amount of time it takes to navigate airports, it's hard to begrudge a VFF wanting to spend as little extra time in the airport as possible. I don't fly nearly as much as many here and I minimize time between arrival at the airport and boarding. I'll get to the airport early if I have an extended phone call just before the flight, but otherwise if my group isn't being called within 10 minutes of arriving at the gate (ideally just as I walk up) I've timed it all wrong.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ft101, as for being paid or not, for dead time is not a concept that I brought up0, nor that I ascribe to. That is an alien concept to me. As for the rest, I doubt that there are any seasoned decades broken in VFF's that ever want an extra 2 hours at the airport for any reason whatsoever, the only times I can think of me ever wanting to possibly be at the airport early are, 1) If I have some sort of ticket issue that I have to deal with, 2) If I am flying West from Asia, and the flight is at some ungodly hour, and I have a few dead hours, and I might as well use them in the lounge rather than a hotel lobby. Otherwise the more than 200 DAYS that I have saved myself have been for my benefit, and that of my family.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
"Grabbing an hours sleep in the airport" isn't even a poor approximation of an extra hour in your own bed, assuming you can even find a place to sleep and get back to sleep, and then wake on time to board.
Horses for courses. It'll suit some easy sleepers, but those who don't want it don't seem able to accept what's works for them might not for others.

Originally Posted by hfly
. . . . I doubt that there are any seasoned decades broken in VFF's that ever want an extra 2 hours at the airport for any reason whatsoever . . . .
Those that want a relaxed travel experience and have missed flights in the past might. Not all fliers are the same and their approach is just as "right" as any other.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to find that if you are a VFF and know how to time things, that you rarely miss a flight, and when you do, it is often in a situation that you would possibly have still missed it even if you had more time.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA AA
Agreed - generally when I go to the airport, I allow SOME extra time for the standard accident, etc - or if there is a snow storm, I allow extra time for that. I don't plan on there being a 20 car pile-up on the expressway each time I go that adds 2 hours to a 30 minute trip. Likewise, I allow for some delay on going through TSA Pre, but not the 2 hour backup due to some un-announced strike or airport lock down.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I travel to client sites, and sometimes a project will get done early, so I am now faced with 3-5 hrs before my scheduled flight back home after stopping for a meal, and returning the rental car. If there is no other earlier flight I can change to I will go to the airport early and go to an airline lounge to finish up my reports, charge my electronics, or even relax and get a drink. So, even though I have plenty of time, I walk on the moving sidewalks- not because I am in a hurry, but because it just feels good to move rather than stand still. Going to my home airport for a departure, I will usually only be about 1 hour early unless weather is an issue when I go earlier.
catcher1 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Found this article on LinkedIn today... I know that during periods of heavy business travel, I've had a few issues. Biggest one is the feeling of being disconnected from everything.

The negative health effects of business travel are your employer’s problem, too
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:54 pm

I truly believe that the phone calls they make between boarding and taxiing are a power trip to let the other passengers know that they are important businessmen. I have never once overheard a pre-takeoff call that was urgent. It's for show, and it's always the same: "Hey, it's me. I just got on the plane in ____. Should be landing in ____ and I'll call you then. Oh, did so-and-so get back to you about ____? I'll have to deal with that later."
thelark likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I truly believe that the phone calls they make between boarding and taxiing are a power trip to let the other passengers know that they are important businessmen. I have never once overheard a pre-takeoff call that was urgent. It's for show, and it's always the same: "Hey, it's me. I just got on the plane in ____. Should be landing in ____ and I'll call you then. Oh, did so-and-so get back to you about ____? I'll have to deal with that later."
i make the same type of calls to family and friends, and im not an important person
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Really? Sometimes .... happens. I try to avoid calls at the airport but it DOES happen. I do also train around a lot in China, and I have had a few trips where I had to be working the whole time on the train as well as occasionally on the phone doing con calls.

Keep in mind sometimes people travel BECAUSE they need to be on site as a result of a disaster, which is more the reason why they're taking calls, doing calls on the way there. It's hard to say why everyone takes calls, but some people definitely take unnecessary calls, but I've been on and witnessed calls where I can tell people are stressed out and are taking some instructions or giving instructions before they are semi unreachable for 4-5 hours.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by deniah
i make the same type of calls to family and friends, and im not an important person
clearly
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by dmo580
Really? Sometimes .... happens. I try to avoid calls at the airport but it DOES happen. I do also train around a lot in China, and I have had a few trips where I had to be working the whole time on the train as well as occasionally on the phone doing con calls.

Keep in mind sometimes people travel BECAUSE they need to be on site as a result of a disaster, which is more the reason why they're taking calls, doing calls on the way there. It's hard to say why everyone takes calls, but some people definitely take unnecessary calls, but I've been on and witnessed calls where I can tell people are stressed out and are taking some instructions or giving instructions before they are semi unreachable for 4-5 hours.
Disasters, emergencies etc I don't think anyone should have a problem with. Work and personal calls which intrude on others should be taken elsewhere, or delayed until the participant is in more suitable surroundings.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ft101
Disasters, emergencies etc I don't think anyone should have a problem with. Work and personal calls which intrude on others should be taken elsewhere, or delayed until the participant is in more suitable surroundings.
It depends on how "intrude" is defined. It is quite possible to talk on a cell phone at a volume no greater than a quiet conversation. In a busy airport lounge or waiting area it should be no more noticeable than other ambient noise. If however you are expecting library-quality sound levels then you will be intruded upon. It is unreasonable to expect people to hold all calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.