Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I hate business travelers.

I hate business travelers.

Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by dalehill
Standing single file holding your child's hand and explaining why you’re both doing that, pointing out the space you're leaving for other people to pass if they want or need to, is how you teach your child to be aware and considerate of other people. It’s part of parenting. It’s how you don’t raise kids who think they’re the center of the universe. It doesn’t matter if there are signs or not. It’s just common courtesy. Like you don’t stop and open a big map in the middle of a busy, crowded sidewalk. You step out of the way first. You don’t need signs for that either. Being aware of other people and being considerate. Teachable moments.
In addition to other posters, well said.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Whatever the reason, why would it matter?
I like to understand the mindset of those displaying what to me is strange behaviour.

Originally Posted by KDS777
So when I get where I am going I can relax longer.
I take the entire journey as a time to relax. After the moving walkway, your relaxing could be on a hard plastic seat at the gate. Yes, it could be on a beach but if an extra 30 seconds on a beach is so critical I would have got an earlier flight.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the little traveled leisure travelers out there, here is why walking on the travelator, getting through security quicker, using fast track lines, bringing carryon and never checking (or at least as little as possible matters:

If you travel twice a year and arrive 3 hours before the flight, take your time for everything, check your bags, that is your right, it adds perhaps costs you an extra 12 hours to your four one way flights, and you may need that time to figure out all the really confusing aspects of your travel. It has no impact on your life in reality.

If you average 118 flights a year for two decades (let's say 120 to make the numbers even), a savings of 2 hours per flight, means a savings of 240 hours per year, or quite literally 10 DAYS, over a 20 year period this is a savings of 200 DAYS. This is NOT insignificant, and why VFF's especially those familiarwith a route/airport/airline do not show up at the airport earlier than they have to, do not want to check-in bags, have the temerity to want to walk on the travelators, etc.
tbuccelli likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Whatever the reason, why would it matter?
This. I usually walk beside the walkway. Sometimes I walk on it. Very infrequently I stand on it. I have reasons for all three choices, but who cares? And if I share my reasons, someone will probably argue with me and tell me why my personal preference is totally wrong.
cawhite and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC

... if I share my reasons, someone will probably argue with me and tell me why my personal preference is totally wrong.
Especially here on FT.
dalehill and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by ft101
I like to understand the mindset of those displaying what to me is strange behaviour.

Please see post #350 .
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atomicfront
The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children. And I am not so rude that I push past people.
This makes no sense at all. Moving walkways exist all over the world. It's completely normal behavior to walk on them. Your bizarre belief that you should be able to hog the whole walkway and prevent others from passing is the outlier here.

Originally Posted by atomicfront
It depends on the position. I was replying to the person who said he doesn't want to be talked to on the airplane and doesn't want to be talked to on the hotel and just wanted to be left alone. That doesn't seem like the person has any social skills at all or if the do they are not social at all.
I'm sorry, *you* are questioning the social skills of *others*?!? That's rich.

Sometimes I'm chatty on airplanes. Sometimes I'm not. I respect that I may have a seatmate with either preference. Normal, socially-adjusted people can take cues and know when to talk and when to be quiet.

Originally Posted by tbuccelli
Following the logic of the OP, what about the customer who purchased the product of your client, are they not the ones that actually paid for your travel to be there? What if you are a customer? But wait, they paid with money they earned, so does that mean the rewards belong to their employers? That is why the argument is illogical.
To grossly simplify my take on the whole "earning" status bit: I strongly believe and support the fact that the person doing the traveling should receive the rewards/benefits. They make the actual travel easier and they provide small future payback in exchange for all of those days away from family. Where I stop short is when the notion of "earning" gets confused with some sort of accomplishment. Ultimately, we use a lot of a product, so we get some bonus product. I enjoy receiving free sandwiches at Subway, but I don't really brag about how I've "earned" them. It's just a little payback if I eat a lot of sandwiches. I don't let it go to my head.

This. I usually walk beside the walkway. Sometimes I walk on it. Very infrequently I stand on it. I have reasons for all three choices, but who cares? And if I share my reasons, someone will probably argue with me and tell me why my personal preference is totally wrong.
As long as your choice doesn't take away choices from others, I think we're all cool with whatever choice you make.
wrp96 and KDS777 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by hfly
For the little traveled leisure travelers out there, here is why walking on the travelator, getting through security quicker, using fast track lines, bringing carryon and never checking (or at least as little as possible matters:

If you travel twice a year and arrive 3 hours before the flight, take your time for everything, check your bags, that is your right, it adds perhaps costs you an extra 12 hours to your four one way flights, and you may need that time to figure out all the really confusing aspects of your travel. It has no impact on your life in reality.

If you average 118 flights a year for two decades (let's say 120 to make the numbers even), a savings of 2 hours per flight, means a savings of 240 hours per year, or quite literally 10 DAYS, over a 20 year period this is a savings of 200 DAYS. This is NOT insignificant, and why VFF's especially those familiarwith a route/airport/airline do not show up at the airport earlier than they have to, do not want to check-in bags, have the temerity to want to walk on the travelators, etc.
I never took it to that extreme by doing the calculation you did, but I have been doing that frequency of flights for almost one decade. You did make me look up and learn a new word today though........

Temerity............LOL !!

Every airport I have been in has signs on the moving "walkways" (notice the quotations to denote they are not called standways) that say........WALK ON THE LEFT AND STAND ON THE RIGHT.........the choice is yours.

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 4, 2018 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by hfly
And every minute of it for the work flyer is unpaid time. Makes sense why one would want to minimize that.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by KDS777
I never took it to that extreme by doing the calculation you did, but I have been doing that frequency of flights for almost one decade. You did make me look up and learn a new word today though........

Temerity............LOL !!

Every airport I have been in has signs on the moving "walkways" (notice the quotations to denote they are not called standways) that say........WALK ON THE LEFT AND STAND ON THE RIGHT.........the choice is yours.
This is FT. 120 flights per year is pretty much nothing compared to many here! At least on the UA and AC forums, there are those doing 200, 300, even 400+ flights a year, consisting of a mix of short-haul, mid-hauls, long-haul, and ultra long-haul flights. The 200-300 flights per year I'd say is more common than one might think. Perhaps 400+ is getting into the rare range since that's more than one a day.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
400 is up there. There are lots of pilots who don't fly that many segments per year.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was trying to figure out how one could fly so often, but I guess if you did a flight in the am with a return on the evening every day (5 days a week for 52 weeks) you could get to 560 flights. I did not think about connecting flights or segments though, but still - holy cow that is a LOT of flying!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ctporter
I was trying to figure out how one could fly so often, but I guess if you did a flight in the am with a return on the evening every day (5 days a week for 52 weeks) you could get to 560 flights. I did not think about connecting flights or segments though, but still - holy cow that is a LOT of flying!
There's a flyer on United who has done over 1 million BIS miles over multiple years. He's on his way to 20 million lifetime BIS miles on UA, if he's not there already (I haven't looked recently). And yes he's a FTer.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
There's a flyer on United who has done over 1 million BIS miles over multiple years. He's on his way to 20 million lifetime BIS miles on UA, if he's not there already (I haven't looked recently). And yes he's a FTer.
Yep. People think I'm nuts but that UA guy makes me and many others seem "normal".
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The numbers I posted were my average, my average flight length is just about 2500 miles, its actually the same average over 26 years, but thought 20 was a more powerful message. Pinniped, pilots do NOT generally fly as much as working pilots, but often do when factoring in positioning, deadheading and leisure travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.