I hate business travelers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AStarr
These notices are almost universal. They've been around for decades. If this person is as well-travelled as they claim, they should be more than familiar with the etiquette of moving walkways and escalators.

In a busy transit situation, I fail to see how protesting a near universally accepted norm (stand on the right, walk on the left) by intentionally placing one's child in the way of where one knows people will be walking is somehow morally superior to following the posted etiquette. Perhaps you should seek airport assistance when travelling with children? It would certainly be safer for you, your children, and your fellow travellers.
Quite right.

Also, in some societies, the standing and walking sides of the people mover (and escalators) are a social rule, to where you see perfection.

For example, anyone who has been to London or Tokyo, will see this done to a T. Of course, in Tokyo, one is to stand on the left and walk on the right. Osaka is like London and North America. But there are signs and quite often audio cues (in English (and other languages, where appropriate)) everywhere.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

My guess is OP NEVER travelled for business, or perhaps NEVER actually had a job!
My week:
Monday: Up at 4:30am. Out the door at 5:15, for a 7:00 flight, that if on time, will get me, including RAC, 45 minutes early, meetings x 6 + lunch. Return RAC, catch 6:00 flight to to city #2 . Go to RAC, go to hotel, check in behind family that has never been -----, get to room, return e-mails, sleep at midnight maybe.
Tuesday: Wake in hotel, repeat Monday
Wednesday: See Monday /Tuesday
Thursday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
Friday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday except fly home at 2-4 pm
Saturday: 6am-10am Weekly reports

Monday repeat

Perhaps OP should get over Her obvious jealousy and do the right thing:

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK. I'm not going to hold my breath for that not forthcoming apology, but I am sending this from my fully paid for apartment in Paris, France. Because I have a job, and I work. 😀

OBTW OP-France is in Europe. Check it out! 🇺🇸🇫🇷
Ok, but how do you really feel?
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver

My guess is OP NEVER travelled for business, or perhaps NEVER actually had a job!
My week:
Monday: Up at 4:30am. Out the door at 5:15, for a 7:00 flight, that if on time, will get me, including RAC, 45 minutes early, meetings x 6 + lunch. Return RAC, catch 6:00 flight to to city #2 . Go to RAC, go to hotel, check in behind family that has never been -----, get to room, return e-mails, sleep at midnight maybe.

Monday repeat

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK. I'm not going to hold my breath for that not forthcoming apology, but I am sending this from my fully paid for apartment in Paris, France. Because I have a job, and I work. 😀

OBTW OP-France is in Europe. Check it out! 🇺🇸🇫🇷
My travel days are like that too.
Except I'm trying to eliminate those 4:30am wake-ups.
If I can get away with leaving the afternoon of the day before, I do so.

Tomorrow I am off to Strasbourg, which is in France which is in Europe, via Amsterdam, which is in Netherlands which is ... anyway, ETD 11:00. Civilised.

Now, about that 6am return flight from SXB - I'l be on to KLM to see if I can't get the evening before flight to AMS and overnight there instead.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Regarding OP - of course, groups of travellers braying about FF status, upgrades etc and various "first world problems" can be annoying to other travellers.

This is not unique to Business Travellers . It's more a function of groups of males.

Many, most perhaps, business travellers are lone flyers in economy like me.

You mightn't know to look at me whether I'm a business traveller or not.

By the way, I don't recall seeing signs in European airports telling us which side to stand on the moving walkway.
But how much intelligence and consideration does it take to work out that you shouldn't block a pathway in a busy public space?

My aim is to get through the airport in as smooth, speedy and efficient manner possible - which is the purpose of those walkways.
I walk on them as fast as I can. They're not there for a standing gossip party.

or a jam session - check out Fergal Scahill and David Howley playing on the moving travelator at PDX:

Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
Ear plugs cost $0.50. They do also prevent passive aggressive posts.
Manners cost nothing. They too prevent passive aggressive posts.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by KDS777
I always walk on the moving walkways......along with probably 95% of the pax........it gets me were I am going much faster.....doouuhh.
What's the hurry?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:10 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We should be happy for the business traveler... they or their businesses have a tendency to pay higher fares and hotel costs that keep the costs lower for us leisure travelers.

I have been one of those business travelers in the past and it is not all fun and games.... the hours you have to give above your normal schedule for all the travel time is never replaced.... and being away from family and loved ones.

We all travel for different reasons.... and the diversity of the passenger beside us is part of the adventure. No need to hate!
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by ft101
What's the hurry?
Whatever the reason, why would it matter?
pinniped likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
What's the hurry?
So when I get where I am going I can relax longer.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

My week:

Monday repeat

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK. I'm not going to hold my breath for that not forthcoming apology, but I am sending this from my fully paid for apartment in Paris, France. Because I have a job, and I work. ��

OBTW OP-France is in Europe. Check it out! ��������

LOL, Dallas49er, I too used to have to live my life that way. Right up until i was 35 and figured out that there had to be a better way. Seven years later, I retired and now my week is whatever I want it to be, every day. So my question to you would be, what's your plan?

I wouldn't bother about the OP apologizing to those who work, I'd worry about the fact that you do have to work like that, unless you have a plan to find a better way of life. I read your 'schedule' and cringe at the thought of living like that again.

Oh yeah, I am writing this from my fully paid home (my latest one in the latest country I have chosen to live in) and I don't have a job and I don't have to work.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What's the hurry?
Well it's not a carnival ride. Without it I'm already a fast walker probably 3-5 knts-with it i'm really cruisin'. If you are plopped on the left side of the walking escalator like a beluga you better make way cuz' I'm comin' through!

Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by atomicfront
It depends on the position. I was replying to the person who said he doesn't want to be talked to on the airplane and doesn't want to be talked to on the hotel and just wanted to be left alone. That doesn't seem like the person has any social skills at all or if the do they are not social at all.
With no disrespect, sir, your posts here indicate a certain lack of social skills.
pinniped and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catcher1
With no disrespect, sir, your posts here indicate a certain lack of social skills.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I would be horrified if one of my kids was blocking part of the moving sidewalk. That would be a scolding.
pinniped, wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
Standing single file holding your child's hand and explaining why you’re both doing that, pointing out the space you're leaving for other people to pass if they want or need to, is how you teach your child to be aware and considerate of other people. It’s part of parenting. It’s how you don’t raise kids who think they’re the center of the universe. It doesn’t matter if there are signs or not. It’s just common courtesy. Like you don’t stop and open a big map in the middle of a busy, crowded sidewalk. You step out of the way first. You don’t need signs for that either. Being aware of other people and being considerate. Teachable moments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.