Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
Well, are you on of those "self important" non-Americans? If you were not selfishly blocking the path, no one would be "pushing" past you. Choosing your own words, that must mean the child is lazy as well? Or is it that you are lazy when with your child? If I can save a few minutes here and there I will when it does not inconvenience other people who are following the rules.
My goodness, I don't get why he can't turn sideways and have everyone and everything just take up the right side. The left side is for walking, anyone who's traveled more than a few times and isn't a selfish clod knows that.
wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My goodness, I don't get why he can't turn sideways and have everyone and everything just take up the right side. The left side is for walking, anyone who's traveled more than a few times and isn't a selfish clod knows that.
To add, depending on which city and/or country you are in around the world, some people mover walkways will actually have audio and/or visual cues advising which side to stand and which side to pass.
wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I suspected it might disappear...

#Exposed2018
NYTA and skywardhunter like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I only have a problem with people standing still on the travelator if they're also blocking it.

It's for moving large numbers of people swiftly through the airport.
tbuccelli likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA AA
Works for me now too

Originally Posted by chrisl137
weird. just checked and it still works for me, even in a clean browser.
I just checked again, working for me this time - who knows, not that big of a deal - I just wanted to check as I remember the general gist and that it was recent, but not how recent (1/2/3 years old).

Someone else summed up my intent though later.

Thanks to all that have checked.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AStarr
Though, when it comes to travel spaces and airport hotels, it does seem to tend to usually be business travellers making the scene. Although, bachelor and bachelorette parties in airports can really get on my nerves too as far as rudeness.
It's a relative thing, too. I went to a meeting a couple years ago where the meeting hotel was a Moxy (Marriott's hipster party brand). It was entertaining, and a bunch of us hung out and played pinball and foosball, etc. Then recently one of the people who was there stayed there (or maybe at another Moxy) again and lamented it wasn't as nice as the last time, because there was some kind of group partying. I laughed and pointed out that she didn't mind last time because *she* was in the party group!
wharvey, wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by atomicfront
The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway
I always stand on them, not walk, as I work on the theory that it's moving so I don't have to. I wouldn't be so crass as to block it to others however when it's easy not to.
wharvey, wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
To add, depending on which city and/or country you are in around the world, some people mover walkways will actually have audio and/or visual cues advising which side to stand and which side to pass.
Originally Posted by mandolino
It's for moving large numbers of people swiftly through the airport.
The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children.
These notices are almost universal. They've been around for decades. If this person is as well-travelled as they claim, they should be more than familiar with the etiquette of moving walkways and escalators.

In a busy transit situation, I fail to see how protesting a near universally accepted norm (stand on the right, walk on the left) by intentionally placing one's child in the way of where one knows people will be walking is somehow morally superior to following the posted etiquette. Perhaps you should seek airport assistance when travelling with children? It would certainly be safer for you, your children, and your fellow travellers.
84fiero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It's a relative thing, too. I went to a meeting a couple years ago where the meeting hotel was a Moxy (Marriott's hipster party brand). It was entertaining, and a bunch of us hung out and played pinball and foosball, etc. Then recently one of the people who was there stayed there (or maybe at another Moxy) again and lamented it wasn't as nice as the last time, because there was some kind of group partying. I laughed and pointed out that she didn't mind last time because *she* was in the party group!
It is indeed relative. I think it also very much depends on the kind of business. Travelling for academic life or bartending stuff - way more fun and flexible than I imagine office and corporate world. Though I have no way of knowing.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
No I have a 3 year old's hand I am holding. There is no way for me to move right. And there is no sign that says that. If you want to walk there is a fine walkway next to it. You want me to let a 3 year old fall down so you can be lazy.
There are signs, on most moving walkways, indicating that you should stand to the right, walk to the left.

One bag in front of me and one behind me and my daughter to my left holding here hand. They don't need to move past if they are in hurry there is a walkway that is very wide that they can even run if they want to.
And there ARE ways for you to move right:
1) Have the child stand directly in front of you, with any bags in front of the child or behind you.
2) Both of you turn 90-degrees, then you can stand side-by-side without blocking the walkway.

The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children. And I am not so rude that I push past people.
It's a moving walkway, not a moving standway. It is expected that at least some people will want to walk on the walkway (as demonstrated by the signs showing stand on the right, walk on the left). I won't call any behavior "piggish", but I will say that I find it rather rude to block an entire walkway, moving or otherwise.
ctporter, wrp96 and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
Ear plugs cost $0.50. They do also prevent passive aggressive posts.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So you're "not too lazy to walk"...except when you have a 3 year old with you? A 3 year old who must - for reasons unknown - stand at all times beside you, never in front or behind you, and never with the both of you holding hands but oriented in parallel with the moving walkway?

And you don't realize the irony that in the situation you describe, you're standing on the moving walkway while describing as "lazy" the people who want to walk on said conveyance?

You do realize that people walk on the moving walkways in order to save time (something which can be very important when transiting an airport), right?

Offhand I can't think of a major airport I've been through that doesn't have signs, audio announcements, or both directing people to stand to one side (usually the right but left in some places) to allow others to walk on the other side. Perhaps there are a few that don't, but they would be the exception.

ATL uses audio announcements.

MSP has signs:

PHL has signs

DCA has signs

I know ORD has signs.
wharvey, ajGoes, dalehill and 1 others like this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: Remove deleted post quote.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Check out posts by a 53 year old woman with a 3 year old child that also suggested people who miss the 24 hrs check in mark on WN for boarding group A1-15 ask a passenger with multiple kids if they can use one of their kids to early board, to see if it is worth further discussion just for the fun of it.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Try this, $@/:?e

Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
My guess is OP NEVER travelled for business, or perhaps NEVER actually had a job!
My week:
Monday: Up at 4:30am. Out the door at 5:15, for a 7:00 flight, that if on time, will get me, including RAC, 45 minutes early, meetings x 6 + lunch. Return RAC, catch 6:00 flight to to city #2. Go to RAC, go to hotel, check in behind family that has never been -----, get to room, return e-mails, sleep at midnight maybe.
Tuesday: Wake in hotel, repeat Monday
Wednesday: See Monday /Tuesday
Thursday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
Friday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday except fly home at 2-4 pm
Saturday: 6am-10am Weekly reports

Monday repeat

Perhaps OP should get over Her obvious jealousy and do the right thing:

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK. I'm not going to hold my breath for that not forthcoming apology, but I am sending this from my fully paid for apartment in Paris, France. Because I have a job, and I work. 😀

OBTW OP-France is in Europe. Check it out! 🇺🇸🇫🇷
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I always walk on the moving walkways......along with probably 95% of the pax........it gets me were I am going much faster.....doouuhh.
AStarr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.