Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:22 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Badenoch
What you consider depressing another person would find peaceful. Frequent business travel requires certain personality traits including a degree of self-reliance, independence and curiosity. It is not suited for people who prefer a sociable environment that is reliable and predictable.

There are times when it can get old but I've seen, learned and done more than staying in the office. It's not for everyone but if you are adaptable and willing to keep an open mind it can be a very rewarding component of your career.
Yeah when I was young and single I traveled for business but know married and with a family I couldn't imagine every traveling frequently away from my family. But even when I did travel frequently for business we would go out to clubs and restaurants with co-workers after business day ended. I guess some people choose the full time travel lifestyle are what you are saying? Socially inept? I worked with a guy who had 4 kids and he chose to travel all the time so he wouldn't have to help raise the family. But he was a big drinker so he was fun to hang out with.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:24 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Same here. We traveled extensively with our daughter as a toddler - no way is it necessary to stand side-by-side with a 3 year old on a moving walkway. Single file is just fine. We always did the best we could to keep things efficient for our family and others when traveling with our kid.
You mention "we". I had multiple bags and it was just me and my daughter. If it weren't my daughter beside me it would be my bags. Whatever get over yourself.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by atomicfront
Yeah when I was young and single I traveled for business [...] I guess some people choose the full time travel lifestyle are what you are saying? Socially inept?
There is a walkway if you don't like it. You are the one who has a false sense of entitlement. Too lazy to walk.
​​​​
[...] Whatever get over yourself.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
Thanks for finding reference, but I now get a page not found when I click on it.
I suspected it might disappear...

sweeper20 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Fun post. A bit extreme, but as a former corporate type I do roll my eyes at the corporate buzz words, and how every conversation sounds the same and has barely changed in 30 years. But really let's face it, the problem is broader; it is everyone who talks loudly (on their phones or in person) in airports and airplanes and hotel lobbies, whether they are discussing business or telling boring stories to their friends. Some people just seem to have no sense that they are in a public space and not a personal space.
Agreed. It's not just a business traveller thing. Though, when it comes to travel spaces and airport hotels, it does seem to tend to usually be business travellers making the scene. Although, bachelor and bachelorette parties in airports can really get on my nerves too as far as rudeness. Thankfully they're not usually in the lounges though. Most business travellers are pretty much okay in my book (and it's definitely not a book of authority by any means, ha). I have my peeves about the obnoxious ones but thankfully they are usually few and far between in my own commutes.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:19 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by pinniped
This.

I remember traveling through large airports with toddlers. I was able to do so without being a selfish pig about it. If we used a moving walkway and the wanted to remain stationary on it, we did so single file so others could move past. I'm flabbergasted that other people think it's acceptable behavior to block the entire path - with kids or without.
Why are you too lazy just to walk?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I guess some people choose the full time travel lifestyle are what you are saying? Socially inept?
Dealing with strangers often in different places and cultures requires a higher degree of social acumen than those who prefer a rigid office structure and remaining firmly within pre-established business relationships. The frequent business traveller must be more independent, self-reliant and frequently requires more advanced social skills than the office bound.

Regular business travel isn't for everyone. If you don't have the requisite character traits and personal skills then you won't like it.
rbwpi likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
If it weren't my daughter beside me it would be my bags.
Am I correct to assume, you would place your bags beside you and obstruct anyone trying to walk past you on the moving sidewalk?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I'm fortunate in having a small number of places I go regularly, so I find hotels that make it easier - I stay at a place in the DC area that has a full health club on the first couple floors that hotel guests are allowed to use for free, and pick other hotels based on the equipment they have. Most of the time I'm either traveling alone or with people who don't have any need for big business dinners, so we usually go our own way for food and I can keep that under control. One of the best places I ever stayed with respect to fitness was in the VOQ on an air force base - the room was nothing special, but they had a book with maps of recommended running routes of many distances, and there was a *huge* well equipped gym that I could have used (I brought a bicycle and pedaled around on base instead).
Oh, I can't blame the hotels. Everywhere I stay has a gym. Usually a pretty good one.

It's definitely me.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Why are you too lazy just to walk?
Occasionally, I am either too lazy to walk or I have a kid with me who cannot move at an appropriate pace. In those cases, we stand single-file to the right making sure that others can pass by on the left.

The frustration is with others who are not walking who do not follow this basic courtesy, making things difficult for everybody else. That's the piggish behavior. Not walking on the moving walkway, in and of itself, is okay.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:29 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by pinniped
Occasionally, I am either too lazy to walk or I have a kid with me who cannot move at an appropriate pace. In those cases, we stand single-file to the right making sure that others can pass by on the left.

The frustration is with others who are not walking who do not follow this basic courtesy, making things difficult for everybody else. That's the piggish behavior. Not walking on the moving walkway, in and of itself, is okay.
The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children. And I am not so rude that I push past people.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:30 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Am I correct to assume, you would place your bags beside you and obstruct anyone trying to walk past you on the moving sidewalk?
One bag in front of me and one behind me and my daughter to my left holding here hand. They don't need to move past if they are in hurry there is a walkway that is very wide that they can even run if they want to.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:45 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Dealing with strangers often in different places and cultures requires a higher degree of social acumen than those who prefer a rigid office structure and remaining firmly within pre-established business relationships. The frequent business traveller must be more independent, self-reliant and frequently requires more advanced social skills than the office bound.

Regular business travel isn't for everyone. If you don't have the requisite character traits and personal skills then you won't like it.
It depends on the position. I was replying to the person who said he doesn't want to be talked to on the airplane and doesn't want to be talked to on the hotel and just wanted to be left alone. That doesn't seem like the person has any social skills at all or if the do they are not social at all.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA AA
what about their customers....

Originally Posted by ctporter
"whoever is paying the bill "earned" those perks"

I travel for work, between 75k-109k per year. I use a corporate travel card that I am responsible for paying in full each month. My company re-imburses me for my expenses - BUT, they bill the client for my expenses. So who is really "paying"? Who at these companies should benefit from the miles/stays/days? The accounting clerk that processes payments? The owner of the company, the stock holders? Why should random companies (different clients for each job) get a few airline miles or hotel stays or rental car days instead of the person that did the traveling?
Following the logic of the OP, what about the customer who purchased the product of your client, are they not the ones that actually paid for your travel to be there? What if you are a customer? But wait, they paid with money they earned, so does that mean the rewards belong to their employers? That is why the argument is illogical.
84fiero and ctporter like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA AA
If you weren't blocking the path...

The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children. And I am not so rude that I push past people.
Well, are you on of those "self important" non-Americans? If you were not selfishly blocking the path, no one would be "pushing" past you. Choosing your own words, that must mean the child is lazy as well? Or is it that you are lazy when with your child? If I can save a few minutes here and there I will when it does not inconvenience other people who are following the rules.
AStarr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.