I hate business travelers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Thanks to Gatwick Security a few years ago, who witnessed a business man in his 60s manhandle me out of the way to get in front of me in the queue. I'm 6ft and was 22stone (at the time) so used a suprise technique to get his bag on the rollers before mine.

Security witnessed it and gave him the full security works - remove shoes, pat down etc while giving me a knowing nod. Karma
rankourabu likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm not a business traveler, but I'd prefer to deal with that sort of behavior instead of the leisure traveler who:
- holds up the security line because they have no idea what has to be removed or put in bins
- holds up boarding while they try to jam their clearly-oversized bag into the overhead bin
- bring along a hoard of children who run around screaming in the airport, on the plane and in the hotel hallways
AMEN to that! I usually travel on my own or with my colleague (the work husband, he calls me his work wife). We NEVER sit together on flights but we genuinely have great trips together sitting at the gate taking the p*ss out of the weirdos and people who shouldn't be allowed out, never mind on a plane...
POatParker likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:59 am

Got to say, business travelers don't really care for people with attitudes like yours. Try living your life in planes and hotels. You would change your tune! I would call you jealous, but there there is really nothing to be jealous about! Get over yourself!
Old May 30, 2018, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by rjlon
I totally agree on the sense of entitlement that is so often displayed. However this entitlement is now spreading to leisure travelers, who try to get round TSA rules, flout Airline Baggage, check in times and other rules and threaten to sue everyone as they are entitled and "you are discriminating against me because of race, gender, sex, religion, color (delete where applicable)".
This type of behavior is most often seen in the security lines from less frequent travelers whether they are business or leisure. More experienced travelers know the routine. They have removed metallic objects, emptied their pockets, pulled out their computer, etc. before getting to the conveyor and are not fumbling around for their boarding pass or 311. They also know there is no point in arguing your constitutional rights or angrily objecting to the process. Nevertheless, we have to stand patiently while some dummy makes a federal case about a pat down or argues their two liter bottle of water is medically necessary.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
ha. imagine being a WOMAN business traveller who travels on her own - mind you, I'll own up to some conference calls in the lounge - but I have nobody to strut with, nobody to moan about our shared sense of entitlement to, and what's more when I go to the bar alone in the evening in a business hotel I am often mistaken for a prostitute (I am not, in case you were wondering).

sigh.
Babaduck and 1flyer like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:32 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by trajanc
Rant, Rant, Rant...
Translation; ‘I’m jealous that someone else funds your junkets around the world in cushy reclining seats up front when I have to pay for every mile on my own dime and beg upgrades with credit card miles’

I bet you’re also the sort that tells public service workers your meager contributions to the exchequer pay their salaries and expenses...
Old May 30, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA AA
It is "earned"

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to mention their status isn't even "earned." if 99% of your travel is through your employer's dime, you don't have a right to complain about status perks not being acknowledged.
It may no be "earned" monetarily, but the statuses are usually eared through BIS / BIB and nights away from home and family.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have been a business traveler for the past 25 years. I have amassed over 3 million status miles on American and yes I get nice perks.

I also work 10-12 hour work days and spend over 50 nights a year in hotels away from my family.

So when you see me sitting in First Class or or see me in that special hotel check in line just know that I have earned it.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Conformation bias

”Those DYKWIA types... biz traveler elites... loudly conferencing in the phone, insisting on this, demanding that, feet on chairs...”

”Those tourist class peons... leisure traveler newbies... getting everything wrong at security, blocking gate access, kids running rampant...”

So many business and leisure travelers, new and seasoned, who don’t act this way, but you’d never know, because that’s not the lens that you’re using.

Like most travelers (?), I like to get where I’m going with as little unnecessary interpersonal drama, whether from me or from others. It must be the same
for most of my fellow travelers, otherwise there would be regular rioting.

Happy travels, I hope!
Old May 30, 2018, 8:59 am

Different when you do it every week

Originally Posted by ROCAT
I find business travelers worse offenders than leisure travelers on this one, as despite getting free checked luggage they cannot wait, everything is so important in the bag, etc, etc that they will bring a massive roll aboard plus a personal item that bigger then some suitcases. If they get challenged out comes the DYKWIM, and if just have a smallish backpack that you toss in the bin as you checked your suitcase (with money out of your pocket) it needs to be moved under the seat as neither of their bags will fit in the bin or under their seat.
Waiting for a bag is not a big deal when you do it once in a while - when I travel with my family we sometimes check bags on longer trips. When you are doing it EVERY week though, that extra 1/2 hour at ORD waiting for your bag to be brought around, longer when there are storms, really adds up. Additionally, when they loose your bag and you don't get it till the following day, that is not really great either - something easier to work around when traveling casually. Though "rare", it happened to me 3 times over a couple of years before I stopped checking my bags for business.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:04 am

I m a non-business frequent traveller and really can't agree more, especially the DYKWAI thing! I always roll my eyes when hearing those your-highness-royal-ffp-elites in suit whine loudly about "no inflight greetings from the ISM today" and/or "how could these people in leisure wear able to jump the boarding queue just like me?"... blah, especially seeing them actually sitting in cattle class just like I do most of time!
And
I wanna emphasis that drunkies would never admit they are actually so drunk. LOL
Old May 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think as I have become a more experienced flyer, I have become more laid back about traveling in general and problems when they arise. Maybe it is because I have learned to have back up plans for IRROPs, weather, and potential lost luggage, how to select connections to avoid trouble and obtain lounge access for long delays, and most importantly, get as cheaply as possible into the front of the plane where they take better care of their customers.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:57 am

And do trolls work for their own bridge?
Old May 30, 2018, 11:01 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Sealink
Probably because she called him an ugly American...
What does the color of her hair have to do with that?
Old May 30, 2018, 11:48 am

So, you are basically stating that employees don't deserve perks they get for working at a company. No more discounted/free rounds of golf for golf course employees, and no more discounts for retail workers for the stores they work at.....same logic applies.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.