Reload this Page >

I hate business travelers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:38 am

During my earlier flying days, I remember having to walk through first class on the way to my center seat in row 129. There was a slight sense of disappointment that others were luxuriating up front and I had to look at them on the way to my cramped seat, sure. Mostly, I always wondered what they did to get up there, and what it was really like in the ivory tower of first class. I don't think I really had any actual resentment or negative feelings towards those passengers - a little envy maybe.

I have flown up-front many times and have never heard a single comment or glare, from anyone, ever. I'm a middle-aged white guy with a laptop, so I'm the basic stereotype of the first class flyer and not even a hard look from someone passing through. I think that's unusual and most economy passengers aren't putting a lot of thought into resenting the elites.

The resentment on this thread, I would guess, goes like this:

1) OP is a new flyer
2) judging by his thread history, he or she is working the award cards and other attempts to maximize miles and benefit
3) OP is frustrated over how hard it can actually be to earn elite status, in any way, and is resentful of those who seem to 'so easily' have it
4) OP hasn't been exposed to corporate America enough to realize what the lives of most of those elites is like
5) OP vents general frustrations on everyone and anyone who is supposedly having some kind of a free ride: bigwigs, fatcats, greedy companies, etc.

Then a bunch of frequent fliers jump into the thread and toy with him without mercy, and in slightly condescending terms. (Ok, I'm talking about myself now).
Gino Troian likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Originally Posted by nerd
I don't think the non-elites at the back of the line are paying as much attention to you as perhaps you'd like them to be.
If they weren't why would this thread even exist? The glares and occasional remarks as they go through business class to the back or as I proceed past a long line of kettles and gate lice plane are reminders of my success in life. I appreciate the recognition. Thank-you.
Your reply confirms my original suggestion.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
4) OP hasn't been exposed to corporate America enough to realize what the lives of most of those elites is like
The grass is indeed greener (and has lie-flat seats) on the other side of the fence. But travelling for work is indeed no picnic. It's fun if you only do it 2 or 3 times a year, but if you approach 35 work trips a year, it can be physically and mentally challenging. Not an excuse for misbehaving business travellers, but they are in minority.
PaxALotl likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If they weren't why would this thread even exist? The glares and occasional remarks as they go through business class to the back or as I proceed past a long line of kettles and gate lice plane are reminders of my success in life. I appreciate the recognition. Thank-you.
Except the gate lice are in 99% of the cases, these superior beings you seem think you are. Work flyers with their endless carryons jostling for position of who gets to be the most important of the unimportant on this flight.

You just keep working on that super important power point hoping to impress the boss man on Monday morning, while I sit next to you in business class (ooh lal la) enjoying my drink heading on another vacation.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NYTA
I don't know how often you fly, but I have NEVER gotten a checked bag in 10 minutes unless it was gate checked on a regional jet in the USA and even then sometimes not. My last trip to Orlando I waited an hour and a half to get my checked bags. Again - the airlines have decided on this system so it's really not a question of "the greater good" - these are for profit businesses, not Aeroflot from the Soviet days - a great example of an airline run for the "greater good" that was crappy as a result.
I guess you have never traveled through Changi airport...did you actually fly on Aeroflot in the Soviet days or were you just making that up? I did, and never had any luggage problems.
lmashton likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Except the gate lice are in 99% of the cases, these superior beings you seem think you are. Work flyers with their endless carryons jostling for position of who gets to be the most important of the unimportant on this flight.
75% percent of my travel is business related and I still agree with this 100%. The travelers I see queuing up 25 minutes before boarding are in the Premier Lines. I fly up front 100% of the time using either money or miles. On single aisle airplanes with full loads I usually voluntarily gate check my bag and board last so I can minimize the time on the plane. My backpack goes on the plane with me and always under the seat. My wait for luggage is usually shorter that the time it takes to clean up my email and possibly call my wife or one of my children. I am on planes a lot and this method works best for me without any stress.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't know how often you fly, but I have NEVER gotten a checked bag in 10 minutes unless it was gate checked on a regional jet in the USA and even then sometimes not. My last trip to Orlando I waited an hour and a half to get my checked bags. Again - the airlines have decided on this system so it's really not a question of "the greater good" - these are for profit businesses, not Aeroflot from the Soviet days - a great example of an airline run for the "greater good" that was crappy as a result.
You clearly don't fly often or at least not with full service airlines. With Emirates my bags are consistently in the fist 30 bags on the belt
Old May 8, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by rowsign
75% percent of my travel is business related and I still agree with this 100%. The travelers I see queuing up 25 minutes before boarding are in the Premier Lines. I fly up front 100% of the time using either money or miles. On single aisle airplanes with full loads I usually voluntarily gate check my bag and board last so I can minimize the time on the plane. My backpack goes on the plane with me and always under the seat. My wait for luggage is usually shorter that the time it takes to clean up my email and possibly call my wife or one of my children. I am on planes a lot and this method works best for me without any stress.
I'm surprised when I read this. Yes, a lot of business travelers will line up early, jockeying for overhead space. But, they tend to be quiet and not really offensive in any way. The line for group 4 is typically huge, and a lot of gabbing on the phone and chatting - also no problem. But, if 'lining up early' is the biggest offense of the biz traveler, I'm not really getting what's so bad about that.

As for voluntarily checking a bag because it's somehow just as easy as carrying on, that's really hard for me to imagine. Of course, sometimes the checked bags come quickly, but usually it's 15-20 minutes. Sometimes it's much more, and sometimes they lose the bags - that's a real bummer for me when I'm on the road. Checking bags is worth avoiding for people who really want to avoid any issues, and are able to do so.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

I'm surprised when I read this. Yes, a lot of business travelers will line up early, jockeying for overhead space. But, they tend to be quiet and not really offensive in any way. The line for group 4 is typically huge, and a lot of gabbing on the phone and chatting - also no problem. But, if 'lining up early' is the biggest offense of the biz traveler, I'm not really getting what's so bad about that.
There are threads on virtually every single airline forum on this site with badly behaved zone 1 DYKWIA stories, Pushing, ''gabbing" loudly on their phones, or worse bluetooth about the super important business and quarterly results.

Just google image gate lice, and most pics will be just like the one above - work flyers in the standard work flyer uniform outfits carrying on loads upon loads of crap.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:01 pm

As for voluntarily checking a bag because it's somehow just as easy as carrying on, that's really hard for me to imagine. Of course, sometimes the checked bags come quickly, but usually it's 15-20 minutes. Sometimes it's much more, and sometimes they lose the bags - that's a real bummer for me when I'm on the road. Checking bags is worth avoiding for people who really want to avoid any issues, and are able to do so.
I should clarify that I often voluntarily "Gate Check" my bags - I guess anything is possible, but IMHO it would be difficult for a "Gate Checked" bag to go astray. I am sure it has happened, but the odds are low. I rarely check bags at the counter when on business. I usually only counter check bags when I am packing kite-boarding or ski gear anyway and I always keep a change of clothes on me to get me through a day or two.

I didn't say it was an offense to line up early in any line. It doesn't bother me at all when people in Premier/Elite/Diamond lines queue up, I just choose not to join them! It just seems miserable for those who stress that much up getting their bags in a certain spot. I am not going to waste 30 minutes (Line up, board first, wait for everyone else to board while confined in a tube) of my time to save 15 - it doesn't seem rational TO ME. Maybe it does for others which is fine with me. I am tall so my only concern is that I have a seat with legroom up front. I am patient about the other stuff.

Group 4 (or equal) does tend to line up and there are a lot of people in those groups. They are rational though because they really are fighting for overhead space!
Old May 8, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

There are threads on virtually every single airline forum on this site with badly behaved zone 1 DYKWIA stories, Pushing, ''gabbing" loudly on their phones, or worse bluetooth about the super important business and quarterly results.

Just google image gate lice, and most pics will be just like the one above - work flyers in the standard work flyer uniform outfits carrying on loads upon loads of crap.
But really, doesn't gate lice refer to the people who start creeping up and hovering around the queue, jockeying to get near the front? Business travelers don't really need to do that - the early boarders always get overhead space.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You clearly don't fly often or at least not with full service airlines. With Emirates my bags are consistently in the fist 30 bags on the belt
My last trip to Orlando...
MCO is probably not the yardstick we had in mind...
Old May 8, 2018, 11:54 pm

Waiting 45 minutes or more for my bag does not make my life easier. In fact, it makes it harder - even when I'm "taking it easy" on vacation - I'd rather spend those 45 minutes lounging by the pool. You're basically asking me to check my bag and waste a lot of my time just so that you have more room to put your bags in the overhead. And you commented earlier "it's not all about you" - apparently you're the only one whose convenience matters here and you expect others to accommodate you.
I'm certainly not asking that as I will likely be boarding beside you due to status or fare paid anyway, so plenty of room for my bag too. Despite all that time you gained, I was probably in the same bus/train/taxi/hire car queue as you after I waited 10 minutes on my bag, and if I really wanted extra time at the pool I would have got an earlier flight or gone the day before. Win-win you see, unlike the me-me attitude of some.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:56 pm

But it's just not true. I use carryon regularly at JFK, DEN, BKK, HKT, FRA and the vast majority of the time, I'm already outside grabbing an uber way before the bags come. The idea that getting your checked bags is even close to as fast as simply walking out of the airport makes no sense.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:17 am

Well I'm seeing all the expected behaviors from both parties on the current trip.

#1 (biz): Get on the rental car shuttle at the terminal. The shuttle is only like 2/3 full, plenty of seats open. But these three business guys who boarded after me (they're not together; each traveling solo) stand next to the door with their rollerboards, partially blocking the entrance, and won't sit down. There're two more guys up front standing by the front door. We arrive at the rental car center and those guys jump off the moment the door opens.

#2 (leisure): This lady and her son are boarding (they have middle and window), and she tells the son to ask the aisle person to swap for window. She apparently has to have aisle. Son seems to say he doesn't want to. So the son takes the middle seat and the lady decides to poach and sit on the aisle. (the aisle guy, who looked like a student, boarded later and graciously accepted the swap)

#3 (biz): I'm at security getting ready to put my stuff through the xray when the tsa guy tells me I should get a tray for something instead of putting it directly on the belt. The tray is literally within arm's reach, except the business suit guy behind me is in my way so I had to go around him to go get the tray. In that split second, the business guy cuts in front of me. But then he of course has a huge rollerboard and he's fumbling around trying to get the tote off the handlebar. And then he has to take his laptop out (Pre was closed, and I guess he's not used to standard security). So this guy cuts in front of me while I tried to do something that would've literally taken 2 seconds, then he makes me wait. You'd think he's in a hurry, but he's actually not. He was on the same flight as me, and there was plenty of time to wait around at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.