Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I hate business travelers.

I hate business travelers.

Old May 5, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
If it is of any con-solace to the op I hate pilots more.
I worked 9 years for a cargo airline and traveled a lot to our outstations for work.
Worst behavior ever seen was by our pilots, working or deadheading.
Incredible food was brought on board our B747F with 14 biz seats in the top.
Once a marvelous plate of cheese was sitting at the kitchen area. A pilot managed to destroy all the cheeses in a few minutes by carving a knife through all of them, a butcher he was.
I was never ever offered any food sitting or walking around the gallery.
On an other occasion two plates of sate were loaded to get heathen up under way.
Half way in the flight I asked if I could heath them up in the oven, imagine a pilots dead wishing look...when landed the sates were offloaded untouched.

An other time we had a one hour stop at some ME station, the aircon was broken.
The crew said they would not survive for one hour on a tarmac in the desert and ordered a bus to drive them to the terminal, when we returned to the plane all were loaded with duty free booze, sure an unique occasion for a pilot to stock on booze.

A deadheading pilot asked me where on the planet he could buy the cheapest high performance pc to save a few bucks to which I replied "and when broken are you going to transport that pc back to where you bought it to have it repaired? Why don't you just buy a pc in your home town?"

A crew deadheading back to base from Hong Kong, when landed the captain of the crew mentioned " And don't forget to fill in 24h on duty on your time sheet for our return to base"
I will not detail the money issues they had when working, hair raising: per diem, time zone, night work, sat-sun-holliday work etc.
I can write pages of issues with pilots, the worst money grabbers on the planet after politicians.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: United, JetBlue, Hawaiian, Alaska, SAS
It is true, as has been noted, that there are jerks of all stripes. Rich and poor, Fat and skinny. Business travelers or first time on a plane. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. OK, that's all true

But there is a point and distinction made by the original poster, even though I don't agree that he/she should generalize about ALL business travelers. BUT--there are certain business travelers that love to play the status card--loudly and obnoxiously.

I was booked on United 99 this past Monday, flying from MEL-LAX. I was seated in Polaris class and it was one of those rolling delay situations, where one hears of a "small" problem, followed by two hours of waiting on the plane, followed by deplaning and then...cancellation of flight.

When I got to the hotel that United had booked for me, there was a "man" already talking to the manager. The manager asked the man, "Could I please see your boarding pass?" The man harrumphed, "I TOLD you they TOOK all of our boarding passes. I already TOLD you that!! I'm Global Services, something something Grand Poobah-something..." Meanwhile, someone started to assist me and I pulled out my boarding pass. The "Grand Poobah" looked at me in disgust and says, "I don't know why SHE has her boarding pass." Well, the manager took it all in stride and got the "Grand Poobah" his room key.

Shortly after, I got my key, went upstairs, put in my key and...guess who was in my room? Yes. The jerk. Now, I'm a woman traveling alone and, for two seconds, I was shocked to see a man in my room. But I quickly recovered and said, "I'm sorry. They've given us the same room." The jerk doesn't even acknowledge me in any way or say a single word to me. He had a toddler-like look on his face, turned away from me and stomped out of view, surely headed to the phone. I shut the door and went back downstairs. How hard would it have been for him to say to me, "Geez. This was a mixup. I'll call and get it straightened out?"

I have a family member that has written eight books and is a PhD. I have another that is a graduate from Harvard Law. I have aunts that worked in factories during WWII. I could go on. Workers, all of them, and all inspire me. All jobs and "statuses" honorable. To that jerk, I want to say, "No one cares about your status...and grow up. Treat people like humans."
fatmenace likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I mean... I don't travel for work but still managed to earn statuses the hard way...

"Leisure traveler" and "status holder" aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief here on FT.
cawhite and expatOWflyer like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:50 pm

bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Let's face it: There are annoying business travellers as well as annoying leisure travellers. The former may hold phone conferences (listen closely ) and may brag about his status, but the latter can be so much worse: Just head to Manchester, Stansted, Gatwick, etc. on a Thursday or Friday evening when the flights to Spain take off with tons of people heading to stag weekends.

FWIW, I prefer being around experienced travellers (generally business travellers). They are familiar with the rules and the processes which means that you spend less time in security, that boarding may be quicker, etc.

Originally Posted by Cathchawave
But there is a point and distinction made by the original poster, even though I don't agree that he/she should generalize about ALL business travelers. BUT--there are certain business travelers that love to play the status card--loudly and obnoxiously.
But that's so funny about those DYKWIA folks. Imagine how empty your life must be if you attach so much importance to a status card.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by jacobguo
"Leisure traveler" and "status holder" aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief here on FT.
I am the President of my company and when travelling, always buy the cheapest economy seat for myself and my wife. It doesn't matter if it is a work trip or holiday. We managed to maintain Gold with DL for several years with 90% of the travel being for holiday. I agree with the OP that most DYKWIA folks are spoiled brats, just like the screaming kid who is kicking my middle seat in Y.
trnflyr likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:04 pm

I sometimes travel business, I sometimes travel leisure. I behave pretty much the same no matter what the purpose of my trip is. In any event I'll take business travelers over families with little kids. I find it a lot easier to tune out people's talk about their upcoming presentation or what else than screaming children.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I sometimes travel business, I sometimes travel leisure. I behave pretty much the same no matter what the purpose of my trip is. In any event I'll take business travelers over families with little kids. I find it a lot easier to tune out people's talk about their upcoming presentation or what else than screaming children.
Last time I checked, that business traveler wasn’t kicing and screaming in the air as well. (Albeit on a rare occasion.)

I agree those few who do that are annoying, but agree leisure travelers can be as annoying or worse. Face it, there are certain people who just suck, regardless of cabin, type of traveler, etc.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by trajanc
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
Not to mention their status isn't even "earned." if 99% of your travel is through your employer's dime, you don't have a right to complain about status perks not being acknowledged.
jacobguo likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Just as long as they ain't DYKWIA, who cares, LOL
wrp96 and KDS777 like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to mention their status isn't even "earned." if 99% of your travel is through your employer's dime, you don't have a right to complain about status perks not being acknowledged.
This. So much this.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:09 pm

staying alive

we're all just taking care of business and staying alive.

if you are lucky to not have to engage in business to afford your lifestyle, good for you.

some of us actually have to work and make money.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why?
Old May 6, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'd have given you a 1000 likes if I could. One I heard the other week was "I turned down being the CEO as I enjoy the day to day blah blah blah".
Yeah....I went on 2 dates with a guy. On the first he told me numerous times about his 20 fancy suits he wore to.work. second date we had dinner and met in the car park. I pulled up in a Lexus and he rocked up in a crap box worth $500 as he told me he wasn't in to status which is why he drove that car. Sure! I heard all about your suits.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The resentment and envy expressed in this thread should act as a reminder to those of us who travel on business just how lucky we really have it. It is a reminder that beneath us are the people who book our trips that burn with envy. It is a reminder that behind us on every flight and in every airport line are people who are filled with resentment we have it better than they do. For them flying is a rare event and the airport is a daunting and stressful place. For us they are just another day at the office.

There are times when business travel does get a bit old but I'd rather be me than them. So go on and hate all you want.
darthbimmer and KDS777 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.