Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by atomicfront
It depends on the position. I was replying to the person who said he doesn't want to be talked to on the airplane and doesn't want to be talked to on the hotel and just wanted to be left alone. That doesn't seem like the person has any social skills at all or if the do they are not social at all.
Or perhaps, instead of being socially inept, he just wasn't (isn't) that into you.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok, but how do you really feel?
I thinkthe OP is full of pasture pancakes!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:45 am

The piggish behavior is walking on the moving walkway. I assume you are an Ugly American who is to lazy to walk under their own power. I never use the walkways when I am without children. And I am not so rude that I push past people.
One bag in front of me and one behind me and my daughter to my left holding here hand. They don't need to move past if they are in hurry there is a walkway that is very wide that they can even run if they want to.
It depends on the position. I was replying to the person who said he doesn't want to be talked to on the airplane and doesn't want to be talked to on the hotel and just wanted to be left alone. That doesn't seem like the person has any social skills at all or if the do they are not social at all.

My guess one has NEVER travelled for business, or perhaps NEVER actually had a job!

My week 1982-1990:
Sunday: (Even though the 49ers are playing) Last nonstop non red eye SFO-JFK
Monday: Up at 5:30am. Out the door at 6:15, for a 7:45 mandatory staff meeting (I live in SFO with a NYC "staff" position) Meetings x 6+ and no or working lunch. Leave by 5:00 to catch 8:00 flight to to city #2. Go to RAC, go to hotel, check in behind family that has never been -----, get to room, Sleep at midnight maybe.
Tuesday: Wake in hotel, repeat Monday
Wednesday: See Monday /Tuesday
Thursday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
Friday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday except fly home to SFO from wherever at 12-2 pm. Paper work on plane
Saturday: Do whatever the family has decided.
Sunday: Repeat

My week 1998-2014
Monday: Up at 4:30am. Out the door at 5:15, for a 7:00 flight, that if on time, will get me, including RAC, 45 minutes early, meetings x 6 + lunch. Return RAC, catch 6:00 flight to to city #2. Go to RAC, go to hotel, check in behind family that has never been -----, get to room, return e-mails, sleep at midnight maybe.
Tuesday: Wake in hotel, repeat Monday
Wednesday: See Monday /Tuesday
Thursday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
Friday: See Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday except fly home at 2-4 pm
Saturday: 6am-10am Weekly reports
Monday repeat
Now semi-retired.
Perhaps OP should get over its obvious jealousy and do the right thing :

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK(ed). And get over yourself.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

APOLOGIZE to those of us that WORK(ed). And get over yourself.
(Almost) everyone works. You want an apology from the OP for your choice of lifestyle and job for 15 years?
Hopefully OP gets from this thread that there is nothing to be jealous of when it comes to work travel, and apologizes to himself for thinking that work flyers are worth getting all envious over.

Hope the status was worth all that time away from your family
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
(Almost) everyone works. You want an apology from the OP for your choice of lifestyle and job for 15 years?
Hopefully OP gets from this thread that there is nothing to be jealous of when it comes to work travel, and apologizes to himself for thinking that work flyers are worth getting all envious over.

Hope the status was worth all that time away from your family
Thank you for your heartfelt and well thought out comment.

JUST SO YOU KNOW: Status was a gift. The kids never benefitted until way later.

By design: Work (and bonus) got 5 kids from two marriages into "great" schools that helped them achieve their goals: One Major University department head, one youngest police LT ever in a major West Coast City, One Navy wife who also happens to be THE ESL "lady" for the navy (USN), one recent honors graduate from the design Institute in Milan. Oh, and the one I worried about the most: MD+++. Research Oncologist (Defining moment-Cancer killed her best friend her senior year in high school-now all she wants to do is KILL it back).

Currently semi-retired with wife, splitting time between DFW and CDG.

So excuse me when I "chip" at some of the DYKWIA low life "Family First" nonfrequent, nonflyers, who think the world revolves around them, and their spawn. KMRRA. Appointments available (PM me if you want to know how I really feel.)

Your Mileage WILL Vary
rbwpi likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Thank you for your heartfelt and well thought out comment.

JUST SO YOU KNOW: Status was a gift. The kids never benefitted until way later.

By design: Work (and bonus) got 5 kids into "great" schools that helped them achieve their goals: One Major University department head, one youngest police LT ever in a major West Coast City, One Navy wife who also happens to be THE ESL "lady" for the navy (USN), one recent honors graduate from the design Institute in Milan. Oh, and the one I worried about the most: MD+++. Research Oncologist (Defining moment-Cancer killed her best friend her senior year-now all she wants to do is KILL it back).

Currently semi-retired with wife, splitting time between DFW and CDG.
Congratulations on your family success, and my condolences for the DFW time split.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1
Congratulations on your family success, and my condolences for the DFW time split.
Paris was always a reward. Hit goals-you go. No goal-no go and spend time at home with 24/7 adult supervision.

Dr. daughter never hit goal until after her 1st semester at University. My wife suggested that since I set her goals, I take her. "Daddy, this place is holy f*****g wow! Now I know. Thank you!" Like her dad, she can't wait to get there, and can't wait to get back.

My kids enjoy successes in their fields that I envy, am proud of, am amazed at, create wonder ... and I could only hope for in my wildest dreams.

So, in these times of "Fake News", this explains my ultra low tolerance of "Fake Parents". They, and their spawn, can KMRRA. Appointments available by PM
rbwpi and catcher1 like this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Paris was always a reward. Hit goals-you go. No goal-no go and spend time at home with 24/7 adult supervision.

Dr. daughter never hit goal until after her 1st semester at University. My wife suggested that since I set her goals, I take her. "Daddy, this place is holy f*****g wow! Now I know. Thank you!" Like her dad, she can't wait to get there, and can't wait to get back.

My kids enjoy successes in their fields that I envy, am proud of, am amazed at, create wonder ... and I could only hope for in my wildest dreams.

So, in these times of "Fake News", this explains my ultra low tolerance of "Fake Parents". They, and their spawn, can KMRRA. Appointments available by PM
I'm sure the more sensitive bunch here are splitting their knickers over your posts, but I definitely get a good chuckle out of them.
rbwpi and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:18 am

I give a round of applause to Dallas' wife. She did the heavy lifting for years.
kimberlyrose and tbuccelli like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:35 am

So excuse me when I "chip" at some of the DYKWIA low life "Family First" nonfrequent, nonflyers, who think the world revolves around them, and their spawn.
Why would their different but just as valid choices give rise to such venom? If your goals could be achieved without the sacrifices, then that would surely be preferable.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ft101
Why would their different but just as valid choices give rise to such venom? If your goals could be achieved without the sacrifices, then that would surely be preferable.
Indeed. Working hard is no substitute for working smart
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mules
I give a round of applause to Dallas' wife. She did the heavy lifting for years.
Amen to that. 2nd wife, who raised my 3 and our 2, and thinks even today, she got the easy job. (She traveled with me 3 times and went home early on all 3-muttering something about my sanity or my intelligence )

Originally Posted by ft101
Venom ONLY directed at DYKWIA "Fake parents" who feel that just because they procreated, thay are more special, and more entitled than EVERYBODY else. You know who they are.

Originally Posted by thebigben
Indeed. Working hard is no substitute for working smart
Great comment. Semi-retired, but still give semi annual presentations (at the request of 2 former work collegues) for major 2 Mutual Fund/Money Management companies. The title is: "You can work hard. You can work smart. Or you can do both, and get there sooner!"

Back on topic. Business travel today is a pain. Its nothing like pre 9/11, where airlines were run by airline people focused on PAX, and not the MBA/accountants of today focused on bottom line at all costs. DYKWIA "Fake parents" only make a tough experience even tougher.
AStarr likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:01 pm

That sounds depressing.
I'm the same. When I'm on the road, I generally keep quiet and don't chat. I am happy to talk to someone if want to talk, but am fine with a few hours of quiet on flights and have no interest in the hotel bar. I have plenty of interaction at home with work and kids - I love a little quiet time. What is depressing about that?

Originally Posted by AStarr
Agreed. It's not just a business traveller thing. Though, when it comes to travel spaces and airport hotels, it does seem to tend to usually be business travellers making the scene. Although, bachelor and bachelorette parties in airports can really get on my nerves too as far as rudeness. Thankfully they're not usually in the lounges though. Most business travellers are pretty much okay in my book (and it's definitely not a book of authority by any means, ha). I have my peeves about the obnoxious ones but thankfully they are usually few and far between in my own commutes.
I don't see this at all. I see just as many casual fliers making noise as biz travelers. If I'm on a flight from DEN to LGA on a Thursday night, there are usually some loud business calls. If I'm on a flight from LAX to Cancun on a Saturday morning, there are some loud vacationers.

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I truly believe that the phone calls they make between boarding and taxiing are a power trip to let the other passengers know that they are important businessmen. I have never once overheard a pre-takeoff call that was urgent. It's for show, and it's always the same: "Hey, it's me. I just got on the plane in ____. Should be landing in ____ and I'll call you then. Oh, did so-and-so get back to you about ____? I'll have to deal with that later."
That's just silly. There are plenty of loud phone calls 'for show' by people of all walks of life. Most loud calls, though, are from people who are just kind of rude and don't consider how noisy they are being.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
Most business travelers are fine. But business travelers are more likely to be this way (referring to what I said above) than leisure travelers.
Disagree 100%. I have encountered many more personal travelers who were rude to staff, oblivious to others when shouting into phones, and who expect the moon when traveling. All of the now-daily videos of people misbehaving in airports and on airplanes are 100% leisure travelers.

In general it is silly to generalize about the behavior of a group based on a few anecdotes. Yes, there are biz travelers who behave poorly, but that's due to their inherent personalities, not because they happen to be traveling on biz. they would behave the same way on family travel.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, farci and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As someone who travels on business and also for pleasure, I think I behave similarly in either scenario. I suppose my experiences of both scenarios affects my behaviour but it’s largely because I have seen better or worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.