Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I hate business travelers.

I hate business travelers.

Old May 30, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk, what a lively thread to jump into. And I pretty much felt the same way when I was travelling every week, that is, sorry for myself. At first I thought motel and airline status was cool, but then started to think it was pathetic, being that I was away from home so much to earn it.
urker here, first comment....

Think of it this way...they spend their lives on the road, crammed into planes, dealing with TSA, taking airport shuttle after airport shuttle, and living in hotels to "earn" that right to be annoying. Pity them for that existence.

Last edited by cmcc; May 30, 18 at 5:02 pm Reason: Forgot to quote jlinkov
Old May 30, 18, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlinkov View Post
Lurker here, first comment....
Think of it this way...they spend their lives on the road, crammed into planes, dealing with TSA, taking airport shuttle after airport shuttle, and living in hotels to "earn" that right to be annoying. Pity them for that existence.
Yeah, that definitely sounds like something to be jealous of....

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
I've worked in the office. I've worked on the road. The road is infinitely preferable.
Because those are the only two choices in life...
Old May 30, 18, 5:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Best friend of mine did 18 years of IT consulting practically living on the road. Pretty much ruined her life.
So having Platinum level here and there is a small cancellation prize.
Old May 30, 18, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector View Post
Best friend of mine did 18 years of IT consulting practically living on the road. Pretty much ruined her life.
So having Platinum level here and there is a small cancellation prize.
especially after multiple flight consolations
Old May 30, 18, 11:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
You don't understand sarcasm.

You're not spending your hard earned money, even if you choose to stay with a particular brand all the time. Loyalty programs are made to generate revenue... Not reward you because they're your first choice when your employer is paying for your room. The owner of your company should get the good treatment, not you.

The people who earn status through their hard earned paycheck deserve better treatment than you do, nor do you have the right to complain when your status perks aren't being utilized by the hotel or airline, since you didn't pay for them. All the airline or hotel cares about is money... They don't care about you... They just care about your company because they provide the hotel/airline with the revenue.

If you're fine with being a mooch to get status, don't complain when it isn't utilized up to your own standards.
This is a new one on FT, as has been said, status is earned by the traveller, not the person who eventually pays the bill ! And that right or wrong is the way the programs are set up. [redacted] does your company keep the FF points for themselves , lastly in bold above, the hotel and airlines don't utilize our perks we do, and if not available we certainly have the right tp complain, see my first sentance

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 1, 18 at 8:29 am Reason: removed personal commentary
Old May 31, 18, 5:25 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
This is a new one on FT, as has been said, status is earned by the traveller, not the person who eventually pays the bill ! And that right or wrong is the way the programs are set up. The everything else you have written is irrelevant and simply incorrect, I would expect will not get much support on this website. What made you so bitter ? Did you have your status pulled in a former life ? does your company keep the FF points for themselves , lastly in bold above, the hotel and airlines don't utilize our perks we do, and if not available we certainly have the right tp complain, see my first sentance
I would expect your comment will be moderated because it includes personal remarks instead of challenging the idea.
rbwpi likes this.
Old May 31, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: UA AA
You just really don't understand how the system works....

I would expect your comment will be moderated because it includes personal remarks instead of challenging the idea.
Someone else had linked to a post where you indicated you had never traveled alone before, so maybe you are just not aware how business travel generally works. As a traveling person, as long as costs are comparable, you get to choose where to spend the money and are later reimbursed, or may even put it on a corporate card that is paid directly. The companies MAY have favorable rates with a hotel / airline group, but generally they are with more than one - ie, companies will have agreements with AA, UA and DL, or Marriott, Starwood and Hilton. The programs are put in place to attract the spending of the person who controls the DIRECTION of the spend. I know Starwood called this out explicitly (SPG Pro), but I would guess others had something similar.

YOU may not agree with the way the programs are set up, as is indicated by all your comments about only the person who pays should get the benefits, but that is the way it is. The various vendors do not care WHO is paying, just that they are on the receiving end of the spend. So, they DO "care" (in as much as they care that I direct spending their way) about me as a customer. That is why they really don't, and shouldn't, "care" more about you spending your "own hard earned paycheck", they just "care" about the person who provides the the MOST revenue, so the more revenue you provide, the more they "care" about you. THEREFORE, as the person directing the spend, and the person receiving the rights to access certain benefits, and the right to point out when those benefits are not being provided.

These statuses are mere perks of the job, and the way the system is set up - no matter how you wish it may be. This is no different that someone who works at a golf course getting free rounds of golf or someone working retail getting a discount in the store.

I would say that most seasoned (older) business travelers that I have met do NOT play the DYKWIA card - they know the rules on how the system works and just want to get from point A to point B. The person who plays that card would do that no matter the situation, not just because they are are business traveler.

Also, as for being moderated and not being respectful, you should look at your own posts where you keep referring to the person as a mooch, etc.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 31, 18, 9:58 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tbuccelli View Post
Someone else had linked to a post where you indicated you had never traveled alone before, so maybe you are just not aware how business travel generally works....
I have traveled alone before. Not really sure where you're getting that information from.
Old May 31, 18, 11:28 am

A lot of moving walkways here in the states have signs that say walk on the left, stand on the right. You just want people to adjust to you so you don't have to walk the entire time.
No I have a 3 year old's hand I am holding. There is no way for me to move right. And there is no sign that says that. If you want to walk there is a fine walkway next to it. You want me to let a 3 year old fall down so you can be lazy.
Old May 31, 18, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post
As a business traveler with 30 years experience and many millions of miles and 1000+ hotel nights, I couldn't disagree with you more. I NEVER talk to anyone on the plane, it's private time, I just want be left alone. Same at hotels, I just want to be left alone, check-in go to the lounge to eat and back to my room. At the same time I see vacation travelers who are absolutely clueless constantly. It takes them 2 to 3 times as long to get through a security line, get situated in a seat or check into a hotel. The absolute worst, a kid kicking the back of your seat, I had that happen at least 100 times. To me the airport is a bus station to be navigated quickly and with minimal human interaction.
That sounds depressing.
Old May 31, 18, 11:38 am

Someone else had linked to a post where you indicated you had never traveled alone before, so maybe you are just not aware how business travel generally works. As a traveling person, as long as costs are comparable, you get to choose where to spend the money and are later reimbursed, or may even put it on a corporate card that is paid directly. The companies MAY have favorable rates with a hotel / airline group, but generally they are with more than one - ie, companies will have agreements with AA, UA and DL, or Marriott, Starwood and Hilton. The programs are put in place to attract the spending of the person who controls the DIRECTION of the spend. I know Starwood called this out explicitly (SPG Pro), but I would guess others had something similar.

YOU may not agree with the way the programs are set up, as is indicated by all your comments about only the person who pays should get the benefits, but that is the way it is. The various vendors do not care WHO is paying, just that they are on the receiving end of the spend. So, they DO "care" (in as much as they care that I direct spending their way) about me as a customer. That is why they really don't, and shouldn't, "care" more about you spending your "own hard earned paycheck", they just "care" about the person who provides the the MOST revenue, so the more revenue you provide, the more they "care" about you. THEREFORE, as the person directing the spend, and the person receiving the rights to access certain benefits, and the right to point out when those benefits are not being provided.

These statuses are mere perks of the job, and the way the system is set up - no matter how you wish it may be. This is no different that someone who works at a golf course getting free rounds of golf or someone working retail getting a discount in the store.

I would say that most seasoned (older) business travelers that I have met do NOT play the DYKWIA card - they know the rules on how the system works and just want to get from point A to point B. The person who plays that card would do that no matter the situation, not just because they are are business traveler.

Also, as for being moderated and not being respectful, you should look at your own posts where you keep referring to the person as a mooch, etc.
When I was younger and traveled a lot I was upgraded to suites at hotels all the time. Got lounge access. Really don't care one bit when I am by myself to be in a suite or any of the other benefits. Seems pretty pointless to get lounge access at a hotel when you have a corporate card where you can charge all the drinks and food on it. Plus never in the hotel very long except to sleep. The perks are overrated.
Old May 31, 18, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
No I have a 3 year old's hand I am holding. There is no way for me to move right. And there is no sign that says that. If you want to walk there is a fine walkway next to it. You want me to let a 3 year old fall down so you can be lazy.
I have noticed the sign on most of the moving sidewalks I see at airports, it easy to note. I have also seen many family have their children right in front of them, or behind, thus allowing others to pass by. I have also seen adults stand side by side talking and completely oblivious to others around them. Having a child is not the only path to entitlement.
wrp96, princeville and dalehill like this.
Old May 31, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
That sounds depressing.
What you consider depressing another person would find peaceful. Frequent business travel requires certain personality traits including a degree of self-reliance, independence and curiosity. It is not suited for people who prefer a sociable environment that is reliable and predictable.

There are times when it can get old but I've seen, learned and done more than staying in the office. It's not for everyone but if you are adaptable and willing to keep an open mind it can be a very rewarding component of your career.
rbwpi likes this.
Old May 31, 18, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post
The absolute worst, a kid kicking the back of your seat, I had that happen at least 100 times.
I call BS. Sorry.

Originally Posted by picturegal View Post
I'd say get your Trusted Traveler designation and you won't have to worry about the people who don't understand TSA rules, but after having traveled to all 50 states and every continent I can say that the TSA or equivalent rules have so little consistency that it's no wonder people get confused.
Yeah, Antarctica TSA has gone totally rogue if you ask me. Mukluks in the bin? wth??

Originally Posted by cherylgrrl View Post
I recall my years as an IT consultant, working for a Big 8/6/5/4 firm. I was able to occasionally fly business class, but not if the client wouldn't pay. I was also expected to complete a certain number of billable hours of work on long flights, even red-eyes across the ocean. I remember arriving at Heathrow in the early morning hours, picking up a rental car, then driving an hour to the British version of Silicon Valley to start a full day's work after just a few hours of sleep. I wasn't drinking, chatting loudly, or having much fun. And I was away from home an average of 23 days a month over my last 6 months. A little sympathy, please, for the road warrior who is just trying to earn a living.
I remember that life, Big 6 and 5 were my eras. And I flew a *lot* of coach. Only saving grace was that back then, operational upgrades were a bit more frequent.

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
How do you suggest not checking a bag for an 8-10 week vacation that covers 3-4 different climates.

Please send advice directly to mrs.rankourabu.
I won't claim to be an extreme no-checked-bags-ever type. I'm just saying I don't like it and it definitely has a time-cost, almost every time unless you get very lucky or something goes wrong like a long immigration queue. For an 8-10 week trip, I'd probably check a 20kg bag in addition to a normal carry-on. I know the extreme lightweight set exists on FT, but hat isn't me.

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I never said checking a bag was pleasurable, I said it makes the travel experience more pleasurable. Not carrying x kgs around the airport, to the bar/restaurant, to the toilet etc. Not wondering if there will be overhead bin space when you board. Not worrying whether it'll be safe by your seat in the lounge when you go for a smoke or to the loo. These are all pluses whiich to me outweigh a few minutes in a check in queue.
I guess I haven't run into those situations. The bag rolls around with me and goes in the overhead bin above my seat. If I have to use the loo, it rolls with me. And you should quit smoking - it's bad for you. Any kind of waiting - period - makes my travel experience less pleasurable.

As above, you'll just end up waiting on the bus/taxi/train/traffic light etc etc and we'll end up almost equal but I'm already ahead in the pleasurable travel stakes by having checked my baag originally.
I feel ilke this is one of those math problems where you have to solve for a critical path. Collecting bags is a serial task - it's not a parallel task with finding your ground transportation, in most cases. Possible exception being if you look at your Uber/Lyft app and see that cars are a long way away...then, maybe. But you can't really plan for that.

Get there early. You can drink/relax/work/chat in the airport so you don't need that time to drink/relax/work/chat before you go there.
I do plan to arrive at a reasonable time to make sure I make my flight. But if I were checking a bag, I'd have to arrive even *earlier*, and that's not something I ever want to do unless I have to. Again, for the 8-10 week trip, fine...I'll check the bag. But for most trips, heck no!

I'd rather take stuff I might need/want and not use it than not have stuff and find myself wishing I'd brought it. When the airline is taking care of it for me that's even better.
*shrug* I know what I need to take with me for 95% of my trips. I don't have an issue with bringing too much or too little stuff.
Old May 31, 18, 5:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
No personal remarks, just questions which you chose to ignore. I absolutely 100% challenge all your ideas

Search this Thread