Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I hate business travelers.

I hate business travelers.

Old May 30, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA AA
You do realize reimbursements are limited

Originally Posted by ft101
You're doing something very wrong with all of that. No matter what anyone does, including travel, they should be able to do it in a relaxed stress free manner, letting someone else take the strain where possible, and not be in such a rush. That does not include hanging on to all your bags so you can hurry from one place to another without waiting at a baggage carousel just to make another appointment. It also doesn't include insisting someone who has brought one smaller bag on board puts it at their feet restricting their legroom so you and your colleagues can all get your rollaboards above your head (I accept if you paid extra for it you're OK, it's the ones that don't pay and just expect it that need educated). You lose a bag - so what, buy more stuff and claim it back. Relax, slow down, take it easy and you'll enjoy life more.

If it's "part of the job", then educate (or change) your employer. If more Business Travellers took this approach the OP may never have made his post.
Again, replacing the "lost" items is generally much easier for leisure travelers that people traveling on business. They are not expected to be in the office during the majority of times that stores are opened. Also, replacing a suit is kind of difficult on the fly as they generally have to be altered. They can also be quite expensive and well above what the airlines will reimburse for "lost" luggage.

Also, the issue isn't with the ONE bag being put in the overhead, it is with the people that throw a couple of duty free bags up there AND their big backpack / bag, etc. BTW, I have the same issue with business travelers, other than those that sit in the bulkhead seats, that feel they are entitled to put both bags up, especially when they are sitting in the Comfort+/Economy+ types of seats.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Sounds like you missed a big opportunity here. "Thanks for your concern. As you no doubt know, in Burdick and Lederer's 1958 novel by that name, the eponymous 'Ugly American' is an American engineer who works in a Southeast Asian country and seeks to understand the local people's needs and help them build practical solutions to their day-to-day problems. The protagonist's physical unattractiveness is contrasted with his deep concern for others and the lasting positive effects he has on the community. The work carried the message that actions are more important than appearance and it inspired the Kennedy administration to create the Peace Corps. I'm sure that you know all this and apologize for rehashing things you're familiar with, but I'm puzzled that you think people should no longer be 'ugly Americans'. Do you think America's greatest days are behind her? Should we turn inward and stop trying to help others? Indeed, as Americans, should we celebrate the State Department's loss of about half of its career ambassadors? Or, hmm, did you mean something different? Backing up a moment, were you perhaps confused by the meaning of the phrase 'ugly American' -- do you suppose you might have inverted the meaning of the phrase in a similar way to the way people grew confused about the colloquial use of the word "Nimrod" after a poorly understood joke was made in a Bugs Bunny cartoon? Anyway, thanks for chatting, and if you don't mind I have to get back to this phone call for just a moment but I appreciate your time."

This is called "l'esprit de l'escalier" locally.
I considered lecturing her on "Liberte', Egalite' and Fraternite'" but was too busy trying to complete my business call to take time to "educate" someone.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:00 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
As a business traveler with 30 years experience and many millions of miles and 1000+ hotel nights, I couldn't disagree with you more. I NEVER talk to anyone on the plane, it's private time, I just want be left alone. Same at hotels, I just want to be left alone, check-in go to the lounge to eat and back to my room. At the same time I see vacation travelers who are absolutely clueless constantly. It takes them 2 to 3 times as long to get through a security line, get situated in a seat or check into a hotel. The absolute worst, a kid kicking the back of your seat, I had that happen at least 100 times. To me the airport is a bus station to be navigated quickly and with minimal human interaction.
G702TT and Great_circle like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
There are people everywhere who seem to have no thought about the other people around them--just look at drivers in every large city. Loud conversations on the phone are not confined to business travelers. I'd say get your Trusted Traveler designation and you won't have to worry about the people who don't understand TSA rules, but after having traveled to all 50 states and every continent I can say that the TSA or equivalent rules have so little consistency that it's no wonder people get confused.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I never have to travel for business and I am lucky enough to do a fair share of leisure travel. I don’t share the view of the O P as usually business travellers travel efficiently and mind their own business (no pun intended). On the other hand this may also be true for the solo travelling backpacker.
In my opinion the problem begins when people do not travel alone, regardless of travelling for business or pleasure. Then they can become completely unaware of their surroundings which may annoy others. But in the end you do not need a travel-related environment to ‘enjoy’ this situation..
Old May 30, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
This is a great thread although it is sometimes hard to determine the genuine posts from those people who are just lobbing hand grenades into the discussion for some fun.

I guess there bad sides to both business and leisure travellers, we have all heard the alpha male EVP type on the phone loudly berating his subordinate: "we don't score field goals in my department, only touchdowns" as well as I will never forget the mother on the annual family holiday who changed the nappy/diaper of her darling child on an adjacent empty plane seat at 30,000 ft.

Unfortunately business people often do have to work whilst travelling as this is part of the job but they should remember that it is not a badge of honour that needs to be shared with all other travellers. Find that quiet corner of the lounge if you really have to participate in that conference call, never play the DYKWIA card and remember that the hotel receptionist is not the one who has personally overbooked the hotel just to annoy the late arriving guest.

I think the OP should recognise the fact that in return for the business they put towards the airline/car rental company/hotel chain, frequent/loyal travellers do get some privileges such as lounge access, priority boarding, upgrades and other preferential treatment. This is the way that virtually every other business in the world operates - you reward your loyal/best clients. In most industries these rewards are fairly discreet but in the world of travel, they are usually presented in an very overt way, often full in the face of other customers.

Travel organisations will of course argue that these travel benefits are presented in an aspirational manner to incentivise customers to choose their brand but should also recognise that in a stressful environment caused by a cancelled flight, overbooked hotel or busy car hire desk, giving overt preferential treatment to one group of customers over another can often cause significant longer term resentment and even brand damage.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:45 pm

Lurker here, first comment....

Think of it this way...they spend their lives on the road, crammed into planes, dealing with TSA, taking airport shuttle after airport shuttle, and living in hotels to "earn" that right to be annoying. Pity them for that existence.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, BONVoY LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
LOL - I am "that" guy... Love this post. Where is that "big beautiful lounge"? I likely qualify for membership with my enormous status. See you at the airport soon - I'll be peeing on your roller board on my way by as I make my way to the elite boarding line. Gotta go, it's almost 5PM, swarming off to the hotel bar for free drinks...
Badenoch likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:14 pm

I recall my years as an IT consultant, working for a Big 8/6/5/4 firm. I was able to occasionally fly business class, but not if the client wouldn't pay. I was also expected to complete a certain number of billable hours of work on long flights, even red-eyes across the ocean. I remember arriving at Heathrow in the early morning hours, picking up a rental car, then driving an hour to the British version of Silicon Valley to start a full day's work after just a few hours of sleep. I wasn't drinking, chatting loudly, or having much fun. And I was away from home an average of 23 days a month over my last 6 months. A little sympathy, please, for the road warrior who is just trying to earn a living.
AStarr likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:16 pm

US Domestic is not as nice

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You clearly don't fly often or at least not with full service airlines. With Emirates my bags are consistently in the fist 30 bags on the belt
Great for you on Emirates, and to be one of the 1st 30, that is either status or you are flying up front.

Try instead flying through ORD, LGA, or even MCO - a "short" wait will be 30-45 minutes.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:34 pm

I didn't like BEING a business traveler, even when flying business class. The only people who are snottier than business travelers are flight attendants in business class. You see, I am a very short, overweight, late-middle-aged woman. (YOU try being 4'9" tall and gaining weight if you eat anything more than a salad and a piece of chicken.) I don't LOOK like a business traveler (I look more like your grandma), never mind someone whose employer would pay $5000 for an airline seat for her. I've had restaurant waiters look down their noses less at me than flight attendants in business class. I've had flight attendants make snide remarks about what I order for my meal (no matter what it is...if it's a salad and something grilled/steamed they make a snide remark about whether it'll be enough for me. I don't care order anything other than that). I cannot reach the overhead bins in either business class OR coach, and getting someone to help me with my bag is next to impossible. In coach, I have to put my rollaway ON MY HEAD and lift it from there into the overhead. I've been on planes where young men sit in their seats in their starched white shirts and laugh while I struggle with my damn bag. If they don't want to have sex with you, they don't help you. Who helps me? Young black men and southerners. That's it. If I'm in coach and want to hang my very ordinary but clean winter coat up, the flight attendants act as if I've asked them to put a flea-bitten dog in there with the Burberry trenchcoats and cashmere.

I have a full life with lots of friends and a busy social calendar. But when I get on a plane, it's like I'm in high school again, and business travelers are the worst.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:13 pm

different choices

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How do you suggest not checking a bag for an 8-10 week vacation that covers 3-4 different climates.

Please send advice directly to mrs.rankourabu.
Simple solution, do more laundry and don't travel to places that have 3-4 different climates.

IF you are doing the type of travel you are speaking of, most people have to check bags. Your type of travel requires it. It is equally likely someone takes a vacation and spends 4 days in a single climate, say with a beach, where larger, warmer clothes are not required. For them, they do not NEED to check a bag and don't have to deal with that unpleasantness.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:25 pm

Walk left, stand right

Originally Posted by atomicfront
The business travelers that annoy me is when I am holding my 3 year old daughters hand on the moving walkway while having luggage and they expect you to move out of the way so they can walk past you. If you are in a hurry don't take the moving walkway.
A lot of moving walkways here in the states have signs that say walk on the left, stand on the right. You just want people to adjust to you so you don't have to walk the entire time.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jlinkov
Lurker here, first comment....

Think of it this way...they spend their lives on the road, crammed into planes, dealing with TSA, taking airport shuttle after airport shuttle, and living in hotels to "earn" that right to be annoying. Pity them for that existence.
Welcome to FT!
Old May 30, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jlinkov
Think of it this way....they spend their lives in the office, crammed into cubicles, dealing with despotic middle management, taking public transit to and from work and living in modest suburban homes or micro inner-city condos. Pity them for that existence.

I've worked in the office. I've worked on the road. The road is infinitely preferable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.