Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
You also run the risk of bags being lost if you have connections. I remember one NYE trip to Brazil where my bags didn't arrive until well into Jan., that was fun.
A lost bag = credit card insurance shopping spree. Its a blessing not a bad thing.
Necessities and a change of clothes (including shorts) go into the carryon. Arriving at a hot spot in pants with the bag lost = not fun.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by rankourabu
A lost bag = credit card insurance shopping spree. Its a blessing not a bad thing.
Necessities and a change of clothes (including shorts) go into the carryon. Arriving at a hot spot in pants with the bag lost = not fun.
That entire trip was a quagmire. I was supposed to fly from the NYC area down to Miami 2-3 nights before continuing on to Brazil, but due to horrible snow in the northeast, my flight kept getting cancelled. I finally hitched a ride with some people out of HPN on their private jet and drove from their destination up to MIA. Then, a few hours before departure, AA scrubbed the flight. They claimed MX issues but I think it was because the loads were so low due to cancelled flights coming in. They ended up having to reroute me MIA-EZE on AA, EZE-GRU on BA, then GRU-GIG on I forget, maybe GOL. It was quite late by the time I got in to Rio and found out my bag didn't make it. Couldn't buy new clothes until the following afternoon. It was a loooong time to be wearing the same tshirt.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Multitudinous,
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
That entire trip was a quagmire. I was supposed to fly from the NYC area down to Miami 2-3 nights before continuing on to Brazil, but due to horrible snow in the northeast, my flight kept getting cancelled. I finally hitched a ride with some people out of HPN on their private jet and drove from their destination up to MIA. Then, a few hours before departure, AA scrubbed the flight. They claimed MX issues but I think it was because the loads were so low due to cancelled flights coming in. They ended up having to reroute me MIA-EZE on AA, EZE-GRU on BA, then GRU-GIG on I forget, maybe GOL. It was quite late by the time I got in to Rio and found out my bag didn't make it. Couldn't buy new clothes until the following afternoon. It was a loooong time to be wearing the same tshirt.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by thelark

she isn’t exactly wrong, though she could’ve used more tact. Nobody wants to be forced to hear your call - you probably should’ve delayed it.
For what it's worth I heard plenty of French people walking down the street in Paris talking on their mobile phones and I'm sure nobody accused them of being "Ugly" for doing so.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
What to pack is a topic that comes up regularly on travel forums. .....
And the peak of off-topicness has now been achieved.
NYTA, tentseller and ajGoes like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note:
Several posts on packing tips have been relocated to this thread: Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"
It is one of many on the topic, including these:

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?
Tips for a Noob who travels for work?
Time it takes to pack & unpack, and any strategy for not having to repeat each time?
Wine bottles as checked luggage
Flying with champagne bottle - thoughts/tips?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:11 am
Suspended

As a frequent Business Traveler, I agree with many of the points of OP. [jerks] do not stop being [jerks] just because they travel a lot.

I totally agree on the sense of entitlement that is so often displayed. However this entitlement is now spreading to leisure travelers, who try to get round TSA rules, flout Airline Baggage, check in times and other rules and threaten to sue everyone as they are entitled and "you are discriminating against me because of race, gender, sex, religion, color (delete where applicable)".

My real problem is not with frequent travelers or once in a lifetime travelers, it is people who know the rules but think they do not apply to them because they are special. The world goes so much smoother if people follow the rules, try not to inconvenience their neighbors and stop being so self absorbed.
Sealink and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 30, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reason: Removed masked vulgarities
Old May 30, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Absolutely brilliant I have been wanting to say this for years, how about when they write on the flyer forums with all the airport codes and seating classes plus all the other twaddle they come out with. e.g.
"Flew with GNL ABK to ARZ no J had to fly CW then with LYN from ARZ to AUJ no FSAs on board then with AFW AUJ to AUY etc. etc. bleeding etc."
You boring .......s.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:54 am

Interesting comparrisons

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I agree with the OP that most DYKWIA folks are spoiled brats, just like the screaming kid who is kicking my middle seat in Y.
I hope it is not lost on anyone that the comparisons being made in worst traveler is entitled business travelers and melting down toddlers. And then there is everyone else traveling including the decent business travelers, privileges C+ purchasers, experienced leisure travelers, etc.

Maybe what we really need is a special section for the entitled business travelers and melting down toddlers. They are so similar.
Sealink and AStarr like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:03 am
formerly atomicfront

The business travelers that annoy me is when I am holding my 3 year old daughters hand on the moving walkway while having luggage and they expect you to move out of the way so they can walk past you. If you are in a hurry don't take the moving walkway.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:09 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by NYTA
I landed yesterday at CDG - about 25 minutes behind schedule. Then there was some kind of security incident where the police wouldn't let us up from the gate area to the airport exit for about another half hour. I had a business call that I had scheduled for that time and instead of taking from the back of a taxi as I had planned (no checked luggage!), I ended up taking it while standing at the bottom of the cordoned-off escalator with about 150 people waiting for the police to allow us out. At a certain point, an overweight, poorly dressed gray haired American woman comes up to me and says "excuse me, are you from the States?" I said, "I'm on the phone". She said "I know you're on the phone, are you from the States?" - puzzled, I said, "yes, why" - she said "you shouldn't be such an 'ugly American' and talk on the phone here!". I was quite taken aback, but needless to say I told her she should mind her own business.

OP - was that you?
Why does it matter that she had gray hair and was overweight? Seems like you are just proving the OP's point. Why would you schedule a business call from the back of a Taxi? Not sure why you expect other people to have to listen to your call. Let me guess you had it on speaker? Maybe learn proper manners so you don't give all Americans a bad name.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Old May 30, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NYTA
I landed yesterday at CDG - about 25 minutes behind schedule. Then there was some kind of security incident where the police wouldn't let us up from the gate area to the airport exit for about another half hour. I had a business call that I had scheduled for that time and instead of taking from the back of a taxi as I had planned (no checked luggage!), I ended up taking it while standing at the bottom of the cordoned-off escalator with about 150 people waiting for the police to allow us out. At a certain point, an overweight, poorly dressed gray haired American woman comes up to me and says "excuse me, are you from the States?" I said, "I'm on the phone". She said "I know you're on the phone, are you from the States?" - puzzled, I said, "yes, why" - she said "you shouldn't be such an 'ugly American' and talk on the phone here!". I was quite taken aback, but needless to say I told her she should mind her own business.

OP - was that you?
Sounds like you missed a big opportunity here. "Thanks for your concern. As you no doubt know, in Burdick and Lederer's 1958 novel by that name, the eponymous 'Ugly American' is an American engineer who works in a Southeast Asian country and seeks to understand the local people's needs and help them build practical solutions to their day-to-day problems. The protagonist's physical unattractiveness is contrasted with his deep concern for others and the lasting positive effects he has on the community. The work carried the message that actions are more important than appearance and it inspired the Kennedy administration to create the Peace Corps. I'm sure that you know all this and apologize for rehashing things you're familiar with, but I'm puzzled that you think people should no longer be 'ugly Americans'. Do you think America's greatest days are behind her? Should we turn inward and stop trying to help others? Indeed, as Americans, should we celebrate the State Department's loss of about half of its career ambassadors? Or, hmm, did you mean something different? Backing up a moment, were you perhaps confused by the meaning of the phrase 'ugly American' -- do you suppose you might have inverted the meaning of the phrase in a similar way to the way people grew confused about the colloquial use of the word "Nimrod" after a poorly understood joke was made in a Bugs Bunny cartoon? Anyway, thanks for chatting, and if you don't mind I have to get back to this phone call for just a moment but I appreciate your time."

This is called "l'esprit de l'escalier" locally.

Last edited by mherdeg; May 30, 2018 at 7:37 am
Old May 30, 2018, 7:33 am

The worst business travellers I experienced when working for a hotel company were from a German bank, who paid insanely low rates but demanded early check on, late check out, upgrades, etc.

And what I could never understand is the complete lack of empathy to anyone else.
I expect it working behind the scenes, but a total disregard for what their company signed up for.

The reason we can't give you early check in is because the hotel is fully booked, and your room is occupied by a guest from your bank who guess what, has demanded late check out.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by atomicfront
Why does it matter that she had gray hair and was overweight? Seems like you are just proving the OP's point. Why would you schedule a business call from the back of a Taxi? Not sure why you expect other people to have to listen to your call. Let me guess you had it on speaker? Maybe learn proper manners so you don't give all Americans a bad name.
Probably because she called him an ugly American...
rbwpi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.