Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

the amazement of the first time

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

It is so refreshing (and amusing) to hear others talk about lounges and premium flights.

Like in the lounge now, someone telling his other two companions how he has this great Amex Platinum card and it gives him free access, and also for two companions, which is why they are there. That everything is free, so go drink, get food, use wifi, whatever you want!

And to hear my friend talk about his international business class flight, how amazing it was.

The first time is always great.

(this is a lounge in America. Where you should never go to the airport early just to use the lounge)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:31 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
So true! I love taking friends and family who don't fly often to the lounge. Im always amazed at how excited they are.

However after experiencing international F and J lounges, you know just how lacking domestic lounges are. Haha
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Now, I get excited when I am home for a week. Seriously, I probably mention with as much excitement and as often as a new premium flyer or lounge goer. It's a big freaking deal to me.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
This is when I slap on the QCs.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:29 am

I love traveling with first time/infrequent travelers. Their enthusiasm and curiosity helps me see it all with fresh eyes. I am taking 4 to Italy in October and am really looking forward to the excitement of the hot towels in J class, the lie flat seat, and the flagship lounge in Chicago. I can't wait to see what they notice about Rome etc that I no longer pay attention to.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I like watching people experience these things for the first time, too. I have a 4-year old granddaughter whose only plane trip was when she was 18 months old, so she doesn't remember it. I'm planning on taking her on a one-hour flight from DSM, her home airport, to ORD and overnighting at the Hilton, probably in October. We've already tested the overnight in a hotel close to home; she LOVED the view of the river from the room and didn't even need to talk to her parents before bedtime. I figure there's plenty to see and talk about in the airport.

As for lounges- the first time I took my son (her father) into one, he was maybe 12 years old and reluctant. His father was a DYKWIA type and couldn't fly without a few drinks in him and maybe he thought that was how people behaved in airline lounges. After he discovered that they were just nice places to hang out, with comfy couches, less noise and a few munchies, he looked forward to them. I may have to spring for a day pass at ORD for the granddaughter before departure!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:27 am

I'm one of those who are full of excitement. My new Aspire card got us into the lounge at Heathrow, where we had room to breathe and a salad before boarding (economy, sadly). We've used miles for business/first to Japan this summer and are actually looking forward to the flight. We're staying at a Conrad along the way, and feel like it's super fancy compared to the Hamptons we usually stay at (no Conrads in Duncan SC!).

Rest assured we aren't horrible country bumpkins. We've traveled a lot, and just appreciate the little things that make travel easier and more fun.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think we've chatted about this before, but yes.

Mrs. Milepig's first INTL business flight was a surprise b'day gift. By a series of miracles I managed to keep it a secret until we stepped on the plane. It was a UA 767 row 5 (with the old style seats where that row had like a mile of leg room). I stopped and said "here" and she first went sort of "I don't even know how to behave". Within 5 minutes she was playing with the controls, had ordered up a PBD and was investigating the IFE. It doesn't take long!
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm excited, too. I've flown domestic first (once), but haven't been in any lounges. In a couple of months, I get to try the DL SkyClubs in ATL, JFK, and MSP. I've read reviews and sometimes it seems the reviewers are blase or have higher expectations than I. I'm looking forward to a comfy chair and dedicated recharging space! And I get to experience some sort of elevated experience on the tatl flight home, but it's not a true first product. Still looking forward to it!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by T2A
So true! I love taking friends and family who don't fly often to the lounge. Im always amazed at how excited they are.

However after experiencing international F and J lounges, you know just how lacking domestic lounges are. Haha
Funny...I just tell them I am going into the lounge and they can wait outside or meet me afterwards!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
My first time in a lounge didn't blow me away as I frequent the nicer airport restaurants and bars regularly.

But, sitting in a lie flat bed in my pod sipping champers the first time was amazing !!!! Now, it's just par for the course.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mules
I love traveling with first time/infrequent travelers. Their enthusiasm and curiosity helps me see it all with fresh eyes.
Thank you. That is a much healthier and happier attitude than mockery.
muji likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:20 pm
T2A

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Funny...I just tell them I am going into the lounge and they can wait outside or meet me afterwards!
Haha I'll have to try that next time. Maybe ill text them some pictures while I'm at it.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:53 am

I have even started doing this vicariously. There are some low income/poverty kids at the local high school that would love to travel. I have paid off large chunks of the fee for the high school trip and purchased suitcases for them. When I run into them in town they are bursting with excitement.

It totally brings me back to being 15 years old and going on a Girl Scout trip to Sweden - the anticipation, the planning, the imagining myself in another country.

Why shouldn't these kids get the same experiences that I made sure mine had?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:58 pm
T2A

Originally Posted by mules
I have even started doing this vicariously. There are some low income/poverty kids at the local high school that would love to travel. I have paid off large chunks of the fee for the high school trip and purchased suitcases for them. When I run into them in town they are bursting with excitement.

It totally brings me back to being 15 years old and going on a Girl Scout trip to Sweden - the anticipation, the planning, the imagining myself in another country.

Why shouldn't these kids get the same experiences that I made sure mine had?

That's really awesome you are able to share something you love with the community. I'm sure it will make a lasting impact on their lives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.