Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charter jet operator waives $36,000 fee for mother of Parkland shooting victim

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If she stood at the airport crying saying she had to get there and the reason someone would of given her their seat.
It doesn't work that way in the US. You can't just "give" your seat to someone because TSA won't allow them to enter the sterile area without a boarding pass that matches your ID. The airline would have to transfer the ticket to her name, if the system allows them to.

I think she didn't think she'd be charged. Was she close to her son?
I doubt she thought she wouldn't be charged. My guess is she thought it would cost $5000 or so.

Can someone post the link to her Facebook please
It's in the article.
Edit: Flyertalk is apparently removing the link.

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Ms. Schulman wasn't looking to get anything corrected. She was looking for a "freebie", a way to get out of a legitimate contract. There was nothing to be rectified.
So you're saying that whether it's extortion depends on whether you consider the complaint to be justified?

Originally Posted by wrp96
It couldn't be considered a charitable donation as the mother is not a 501(c) 3 organization (and it wasn't done for the benefit of a 501(c)3 organization either). It would be characterized as a gift.
They donated to her son's memorial fund, which I assume is a 501(c)(3).
Old May 12, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
So you're saying that whether it's extortion depends on whether you consider the complaint to be justified?
Yes and one may disagree with that determination. As many decisions, determinations in life are subjective.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:33 pm

She wasn't thinking straight. The most logical thing to do is to drive towards Florida and look at flights at every airport along the way. NYC, PHL, TTN (they have direct flights to Florida), BWI, DC, etc. There has to be at least one. All else fails, drive 100 mph the whole way, very few cops would give her a ticket.
Im also surprised that no airline would sell her a $1000 flight and seek a volunteer willing to accept $200. Certainly someone going on vacation would gladly give up their seat for free to let her go.
She didn't know her son was dead, she wanted to be there for his last moment alive if possible.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I work in the media and while I didn't personally cover the parkland shooting a lot of my friends in the industry did and they know I'm good at finding flights and trust me to book things for them.

I booked about a dozen flights from New York to Florida on the day of the shooting. All obviously last minute and all out of various NY airports in to FLL or MIA nonstop on multiple different airlines.

There was a ton of availability and all of it was under $500, I even got one ticket for under $75!

Dont buy buy her story for a second!
Old May 16, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I work in the media and while I didn't personally cover the parkland shooting a lot of my friends in the industry did and they know I'm good at finding flights and trust me to book things for them.

I booked about a dozen flights from New York to Florida on the day of the shooting. All obviously last minute and all out of various NY airports in to FLL or MIA nonstop on multiple different airlines.

There was a ton of availability and all of it was under $500, I even got one ticket for under $75!

Dont buy buy her story for a second!
Airlines frequently overbook flights knowing that someone would pay $1000 last minute and someone else would gladly take $200 to fly later
Old May 16, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by nd2010

Airlines frequently overbook flights knowing that someone would pay $1000 last minute and someone else would gladly take $200 to fly later
I'm aware of that but judging by the flight prices I saw and expertflyer loadings I don't think many of the flights that day were oversold
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:10 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Nothing more than a shady, albeit grief-motivated, social media shakedown.
rbwpi and KDS777 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Ms. Schulman in her Facebook posting stated "I am very happy that Adam and Talon Air, Inc. have seen their way to accepting responsibility ..." Responsibility for what? Sending her an invoice for a service she requested?
The terms of purchase note that you don't have to pay for anything if you whine enough on social media. It's the new me too movement. You got stuff for free? Me too.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I guess FT is also the source of expert advice on what (and what not) to do when your child becomes a murder victim.
Good thing I'm only on FT for travel advice and playful banter with my fellow frequent flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.