Insane airfare prices between Chicago and Minneapolis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

Spirit airlines recently ended its nonstop service between Chicago and Minneapolis. This has caused airfare to skyrocket for this route. You used to be able to get fares around $140 rt up to $200 rt. Now the cheapest flights are set at $230 round trip and that is for basic economy type fares.

No last minute deals either (which used to be available). Flights within the next 14 days are around $500 rt!!!!!!
I get that this is primarily a business traveler route and companies will fork over these higher prices. But the off peak leisure traveler timed flights are just as expensive and I don’t see this to be sustainable. Leisure travelers just aren’t going to pay these prices.

But.....no collusion.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

That's exactly what happens when you don't have a discount carrier on the market. While the discount carrier is in the market, the legacies will match the price, so people will fly them instead. Everyone wants Spirit to be in the market to bring down the airfares, but no one wants to give them any money. So they leave, and prices shoot up.

I don't know if this price is sustainable for this route. If not, empty seats will lead to lower fares. But I don't see any reason to think there is collusion. The airlines are charging what they think people will pay. Some people will pay it, others will cancel their trips or drive or take Megabus. It may take a while for equilibrium to be reached.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Are MileSAAver seats available on the AA nonstops? If so, the roundtrip could be had for 15,000 AA or BA miles (BA "Avios"), or for 12,000 Iberia Plus Avios. No close-in award-booking fee when redeeming with BA or IB for AA flights.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Spirit airlines recently ended its nonstop service between Chicago and Minneapolis. This has caused airfare to skyrocket for this route. You used to be able to get fares around $140 rt up to $200 rt. Now the cheapest flights are set at $230 round trip and that is for basic economy type fares.

No last minute deals either (which used to be available). Flights within the next 14 days are around $500 rt!!!!!!
I get that this is primarily a business traveler route and companies will fork over these higher prices. But the off peak leisure traveler timed flights are just as expensive and I don’t see this to be sustainable. Leisure travelers just aren’t going to pay these prices.

But.....no collusion.
Collusion and market competition are two very different things.

You believe Spirit and the other airlines collaboratively planned to have Spirit leave the market (in exchange for some quid pro quo)? That's collusion.

Business make decisions to enter and exit markets all the time. That's competition.

If they're not sustainable, then they'll change.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What collusion? What did NK get to drop its route. If you think that there is something nefarious, it had to get something.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the economy is on screech, demand is up, availability is down and what happens to prices? They go up.

Will they come down? Maybe. Pray for a recession and maybe they will.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Chicago is a hub for both AA and UA and MSP is a hub for DL, MDW Is a focus city for WN. As there are no other airlines doing that route, you get the hub effect on pricing.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
Chicago is a hub for both AA and UA and MSP is a hub for DL, MDW Is a focus city for WN. As there are no other airlines doing that route, you get the hub effect on pricing.
Hence my longstanding username. 😁
Old May 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
How many seats-per-day did Spirit remove from the market when they pulled out?

When supply drops, price goes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.