FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   List of ski-in/ski-out high-end hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1906389-list-ski-ski-out-high-end-hotels.html)

worldwidedreamer May 2, 2018 4:26 pm

Not sure if you are willing to broaden your perspective to include the Far West, but California has:

NORTHSTAR
Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe

SQUAW
Resort at Squaw Creek
Squaw Valley Lodge

And very close to the slopes

HEAVENLY
Marriott's Timber Lodge

MAMMOTH
Westin Monache Resort

travelinmanS May 4, 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29708770)
Not sure if you are willing to broaden your perspective to include the Far West, but California has:

NORTHSTAR
Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe

SQUAW
Resort at Squaw Creek
Squaw Valley Lodge

And very close to the slopes

HEAVENLY
Marriott's Timber Lodge

MAMMOTH
Westin Monache Resort

I would second the CA resort recommendation. Squaw Valley is an awesome place and the resort at Squaw Creek has its own lift.

rufflesinc May 4, 2018 12:05 pm

Depending on how much you value Hyatt points, 30k a night for PH Beaver creek is around $500 I guess. It was great for the convenience to lifts and plenty of greens and blues but no night skiing and too far of a drive from DEN.

Will be trying the new Hyatt Place at Keystone next season , but dont think thats four stars. Keystone is my current favoriate for proximity to DEN, night skiing, and enclosed gondola on main mtn

evergrn May 4, 2018 11:40 pm

With regards to CA skiing, I haven't really been considering it since the costs to get there (Reno or Mammoth) are same or more than SLC, DEN or Vail from our home. Yet the snow quality is iffy. I've skiied Mammoth many times, love the mountain, but I don't know that the snow there is any better than Whistler. If that's the case, I might as well go to Whistler (way cheaper since we can just drive there). Tahoe snow is no better than Mammoth, correct?

Originally Posted by rufflesinc (Post 29715890)
Depending on how much you value Hyatt points, 30k a night for PH Beaver creek is around $500 I guess. It was great for the convenience to lifts and plenty of greens and blues but no night skiing and too far of a drive from DEN.

Will be trying the new Hyatt Place at Keystone next season , but dont think thats four stars. Keystone is my current favoriate for proximity to DEN, night skiing, and enclosed gondola on main mtn

Man I so wish I could stay at PH Beaver Creek. Beaver Creek looks amazing based on trail map, and it looks like PH is THE place to stay. Unfortunately I don't collect Hyatt points and the cash stay starts at $1000 a night after tax.

I've looked at Hyatt Place. It's very affordable. But I know it's not ski-in/ski-out. I don't want to walk more than 5min in ski boots, so you'd pretty much how to take a shuttle bus, right?

pinniped May 7, 2018 2:06 pm

I've stayed at the Westin Beaver Creek and it was a very good hotel. Has both regular hotel rooms and timeshare units that are (or were?) bookable as individual-night stays.

I don't know how skiers define "ski in ski out". There was a gondola directly on the premises, but I don't know if the other end of that gondola was directly on a ski slope or just up in the town with the ski resort. We were there in the summer and didn't use it.

I tend to think of this hotel as "upscale" but not "luxury". It's a good Westin. It's not a St. Regis and not a Sheraton. No idea what winter room rates are like.

evergrn May 7, 2018 9:16 pm

Maybe I should keep Westin Beaver Creek under consideration. They're going for ~$500+tax for my dates. A bit higher than I'd like, but it's a potentially doable price-point. It's just that, if you look at the trail map, it will require gondola + 2 other chairlifts to finally get to the main part of the mountain from Westin. And then apparently it could potentially get dicey trying to ski back to Westin.

rufflesinc May 8, 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 29717795)
I've looked at Hyatt Place. It's very affordable. But I know it's not ski-in/ski-out. I don't want to walk more than 5min in ski boots, so you'd pretty much how to take a shuttle bus, right?

Maybe 10 min walk.

Qwkynuf May 8, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm not a skiier, so I don't have first hand experience, but have you looked at Timberline Lodge, on Mt Hood east of Portland, OR?

evergrn May 9, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 29732046)
I'm not a skiier, so I don't have first hand experience, but have you looked at Timberline Lodge, on Mt Hood east of Portland, OR?

I've been there in summer. I don't think it's big enough and my guess is the snow there would not be high-quality. So I would just go to Whistler, which is closer to me anyways.

In N.America, I'm looking for an alternative to Whistler which I love and is close to me but often with poor snow and poor ski conditions (rain in village and blizzardry up top the last couple times I was there). So if not Whistler, I'd expect good snow (ie, dry snow). In Oregon, I'm specifically interested in Mt.Bachelor which is a huge mountain and apparently has dry snow. But I don't think they have upscale ski in/out.