FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Upstream Swimmers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1905940-upstream-swimmers.html)

Proudelitist Apr 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Grand_Tour_18 (Post 29690931)
IMHO, this creates the impression in the mind of PAX that they "own" the bin space above them. I have seen PAX stand in the aisle dumbstruck that "their" space has already been claimed.

Don't they?

LondonElite Apr 28, 2018 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Grand_Tour_18 (Post 29690931)
IMHO, this creates the impression in the mind of PAX that they "own" the bin space above them. I have seen PAX stand in the aisle dumbstruck that "their" space has already been claimed.

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29691231)
Don't they?

Of course they don't. They don't own it any more than the seat they have been assigned to.

dulciusexasperis Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am

Given the countless issues and countless posts that bin space has created, you would think people would come to some logical conclusions. The only problem with expecting logical conclusions is that you are dealing with people, many of whom think only in terms of 'me' rather than in terms of logical.

So what are some logical conclusions that could be reached if people were able to remove the 'me' factor from their thinking? Well, we could start with:

1. Bin space causes problems. Anything from 'up stream' behaviour to actual physical confrontations between people.
2. Potential solutions might be to increase bin space or remove bin space entirely and allow nothing on board that cannot be stowed beneath the seat.
3. If you choose to increase bin space, how much would you logically need to increase it and would it stop 'up stream' and other behaviour regardless of how much you increase it?
4. If you remove it entirely, what behaviour in regards to 'me' thinking would still be possible? Put your laptop bag under someone else's foot space to leave your own feet more room?

Frankly, the only logical conclusion I can see is that bin space should be removed entirely. I am quite sure the airlines know that and would love to do so. You can easily see how much quicker it would make loading and unloading passengers for example and the conflicts it would avoid. But no airline wants to be the first to do so. Why? Because all those who want to carry on luggage would stop flying with them unless every other airline did the same. The 'me firsts' rule.

KDS777 Apr 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29681228)
I'd never put my stuff where I couldn't see it.

Yep.......and I always put it on the other side of the aisle, not above me.

When this happens though, and it's never in the front obviously, I find most pax are pretty happy to do the "pass the bag" game to help the person out.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 28, 2018 10:25 pm

If the bag is only 2 or 3 rows back, common courtesy is to either let them back to get the bag or to pass the bag forward. That is what happens on NZ domestic flights.

Allan38103 Apr 30, 2018 11:56 am

Incidents of passengers showing courtesy to one another in real life are far more common than what you would believe if you took FT posts seriously.

Proudelitist Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29692322)
Of course they don't. They don't own it any more than the seat they have been assigned to.

Are they assigned the bin the same way? Is the expectation that you get the bin over your assigned seat?

ft101 May 1, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29699775)
Are they assigned the bin the same way? Is the expectation that you get the bin over your assigned seat?

No.

I always try to use the bin opposite my seat, but realise that none are individually assigned like a seat.

Fraser May 4, 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29684803)
Lufthansa

It was an AA 738....because I saw them today again!

LondonElite May 5, 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29699775)

No, bins are not assigned. People are usually intelligent enough to figure these things out for themselves, though it would help if carry on allowance were properly enforced.

DavidDTW May 7, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29681015)
..common Kettle ignorance.

Right, because those pax sitting in the preferred bulkhead seats who use the bins a few rows back are definitely kettles. :rolleyes: