Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What documents would show domestic US travel?

Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

What documents could show someone's domestic US travel from 2012? Let me start. Credit card statements, ticket receipts, boarding passes, airline emails.

Frequent flyer statements may only show 2-3 years. Is United 5 years? If so, 2012 would be beyond that.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, also pictures, any kind of bill or invoice.

May I ask what the real question is?
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
What documents could show someone's domestic US travel from 2012? Let me start. Credit card statements
Card statements would only show a transaction to a company not what was bought and so it could be a US domestic flight or possibly an international one, or a domestic flight in another country (or with some airlines a hotel or something else). As per the other question, without knowing what you are trying to achieve its near impossible to answer.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Astaroth
Card statements would only show a transaction to a company not what was bought and so it could be a US domestic flight or possibly an international one, or a domestic flight in another country (or with some airlines a hotel or something else). As per the other question, without knowing what you are trying to achieve its near impossible to answer.
Depends. With Level 3 data, your bank likely *does* know your itinerary when you purchase a ticket.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Depends. With Level 3 data, your bank likely *does* know your itinerary when you purchase a ticket.
Really? At only the third level of division its granula to not only know that a flight is domestic but which country it is domestic within? Not seen the actual taxonomy of the codes but suprised it gets that detailed with at only the 3rd tier
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AA
My Chase statement shows:

09/24 AMERICAN AIR00121[redacted]- FORT WORTH TX ---.--
010318 1 I DFW MIA
2 I MIA DFW
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Really? At only the third level of division its granula to not only know that a flight is domestic but which country it is domestic within? Not seen the actual taxonomy of the codes but suprised it gets that detailed with at only the 3rd tier
Depending on the airline and bank in question, they may have your PNR, flight numbers, class of service and numerous other details.

Merchants can send over line-item invoice data, shipping addresses, tax rates.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, also pictures, any kind of bill or invoice.

May I ask what the real question is?
As per the other question, without knowing what you are trying to achieve its near impossible to answer.
Want to know what documents to ask that would show that a person traveled on a certain day. That person claims that they moved from California to the East Coast to help an elderly relative immediately after he a heart attack while shoveling snow. I believe this is a made up story and that the person came well before then. If their travel records can be subpoened, it may be able to show that this person came months or years before so the elderly assistance story is made up.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Now Im curious!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:15 am

Want to know what documents to ask that would show that a person traveled on a certain day. That person claims that they moved from California to the East Coast to help an elderly relative immediately after he a heart attack while shoveling snow. I believe this is a made up story and that the person came well before then. If their travel records can be subpoened, it may be able to show that this person came months or years before so the elderly assistance story is made up.
Do you have to be explicit in a subpoena in terms of what form that the evidence is that you want rather than simply "their evidence"?

Evidence of travel also seems an odd thing to be looking for given what you're trying to prove; I visit my home town to see my folks/friends occasionally and so in your theory could use my last ticket as evidence that I'd only just moved here when in reality I moved away 20 years ago.

Surely you'd be better off looking for evidence of their being resident in California at the period immediately before the date of their move (which if your theory is true, won't exist)? Normally here we'd be looking at utility bills, evidence of local tax payment etc
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I see many comments but what documents should be asked for? The person will resist giving any documents but if forced, would be in their best interest to show the most travel and not hide it (except maybe vacations).

Ticket receipts (paper and email), credit card statements, boarding passes, frequent flyer statements, and what else? Might try to subpoena credit card statements, which the person will object.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: RFC
I see many comments but what documents should be asked for?
You should be getting a lawyer to do this work, not asking anonymous people online.

And the question would be "proof of movement on the day/s claimed". What the proof is shouldn't be specified. The question you're interested in is the fact of movement, not the means of proving that fact.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
You should be getting a lawyer to do this work, not asking anonymous people online.

And the question would be "proof of movement on the day/s claimed". What the proof is shouldn't be specified. The question you're interested in is the fact of movement, not the means of proving that fact.
Some lawyers think about something for a few moments and not thoroughly. I think it's better for a lawyer to think but also others to think, too. Then compare ideas.

The proof of movement idea is interesting.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth

I was going to say the same thing. This 'case' sounds a bit bizarre. I won't pry, but I think you're going to need a lot more than a few airline and grocery receipts to prove anything.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was going to say the same thing. This 'case' sounds a bit bizarre. I won't pry, but I think you're going to need a lot more than a few airline and grocery receipts to prove anything.
It is sounding more like they want to demand a laundry list of items and then turn around and claim that it wasn't proven if the person concerned can't come up with them. If it's an employment situation then going that route is simply going to result in them shooting themselves in the foot because acting that way could be reasonably construed as acting in bad faith. That's why I'd always suggest asking for proof of movement and leaving it open as to what counts as proof. There's no way that could be construed as bad faith.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.