Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What documents would show domestic US travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What documents would show domestic US travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Some lawyers think about something for a few moments and not thoroughly. I think it's better for a lawyer to think but also others to think, too. Then compare ideas.

The proof of movement idea is interesting.
Try that the next time you're having surgery.

"Listen Doc, I know that you went to school for this, took exams, and have been practicing this for years. So you think about how you think this surgery should go, I'll do some thinking too, and we'll compare ideas."
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'd like to know where OP is going to obtain a subpoena without having filed a lawsuit and what the lawsuit is all about.

Much of what he wants is the sort of thing which won't be turned over without at least a subpoena and often a court order.

This is why he needs to consult a lawyer even if it's only to focus his thinking.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
OP needs an attorney not the advice of strangers on a message board.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Because you bought airline tickets on your credit car or have an itinerary doesn’t actually mean they did travel.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Try that the next time you're having surgery.

"Listen Doc, I know that you went to school for this, took exams, and have been practicing this for years. So you think about how you think this surgery should go, I'll do some thinking too, and we'll compare ideas."
That is an excellent idea! If I were having surgery, if at a university hospital, I would ask that the attending physician do the surgery, not the resident (who is a trainee). Also people have sued their doctors about informed consent and why an alternative surgery wasn't done.

With a lawyer, lawyers miss deadlines. That can sink a case. If an associate is working on the case, the two lawyers do discuss strategy. If there was only one way, there would be no discussion. Likewise, the client should be aware of different strategies. In the case of divorce, the client can have insight to the other spouse and make better decisions than a lawyer in a vacuum.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Because you bought airline tickets on your credit car or have an itinerary doesn’t actually mean they did travel.
Great thought! However, if a ticket was not purchased, air travel would be unlikely to have happened.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This is a bizarre thread.
Jeannietx and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is a bizarre thread.
sounds intriguing
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is Netflix picking this up?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like a good plot for a stalking movie.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: RFC
I don't know who you are. I have no idea what you're asking. But I have a very particular set of skills and random recommendations I got from some online bulletin board, and if you you flew on the dates you say you did, I will track you down, and I will sue you.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You seem to have stipulated, or would be willing to stipulate, that this person was on the East Coast shortly after the heart attack. That being the case, it is only necessary for them* to show (if they can) that they did not travel before then. If that is true, it would be trivial for them to prove it by producing a credit/debit card charge made in California just before then, or other evidence of their presence such as a car repair statement or a parking ticket. (If they don't save CC receipts, no problem. Banks have charge records going back forever, though the cardholder Web interface may not be able to access them easily.) The whole travel evidence business is a red herring.

Last edited by Efrem; Apr 29, 2018 at 2:17 pm Reason: Correct minor typo (missing letter)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't handle the truth!!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok, it's confession time!!!

The elderly couple both had a trust. The wife died. Her trust is to take care of the husband until he dies. One provision is that a relative can get some money if they move and help with elderly care and a housing stipend if they are not living in the same city and have to move. The husband had a heart attack when shoveling snow and lost some blood flow to the brain so now is needs help with living. He's not a vegetable but is really slow now and often doesn't make sense talking.

The relative is now claiming that they moved to the city right after the heart attack to help with care. The truth of the matter is that they moved to the city several years ago and do not qualify for the housing stipend.

The back story is that some do not want the improper housing stipend to be let go because that relative is very dishonest. They took advantage of the crippled husband and got him to change his will so that they get all of the money that is not in the trust. In reality, that was not the crippled husband's intention. If the housing stipend can be recovered, that might represent $100,000 to the relatives who are named as residual beneficiaries of the trust.

One way to disallow the housing stipend is to show that the relative did not actually move after the heart attack but was here before then. One way is to say "prove that you moved on such and such day" or at least prove that you flew to this city during the week or day you claim. Another way is to show that they flew a year earlier, particularly if it was a one way trip and they cannot show a return trip.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Ok, it's confession time!!!
Don't screw around with that sort of thing. Get a lawyer and forensic accountant and have it dealt with professionally.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.