Commoners guide to avoid those mess-ups...er...faux pas, when travelling in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Commoners guide to avoid those mess-ups...er...faux pas, when travelling in F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce Laurent Perrier Grande Seicle (I have trouble spelling it, too!) so I just ask for champagne...
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Fillet has two t’s and is pronounced fill-let, Americans use the British spelling but pronounce it the French way fill-lay, therefore they should also use the French spelling, filet.
Americans spell filet with one l and think they are French by calling it a filet mignon, but then they insist on calling a pain au chocolat as a Chocolate croissant even when it is not in a crescent shape.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Ignoring the Mexican "stuff" in Phoenix??? ¡Ay ay ay! Tex-Mex and true Mexican cooking are the BEST. I love it. Try Pollo en Mole (chicken). That will change your life. I had some huevos rancheros (ranch style eggs) last weekend in Port Hueneme, CA, that were heavenly.

(However, I have yet to have good Mexican food in Europe.)

Furthermore, skeptics, "fillet" should be pronounced without the "t". Fi-LAY.
I think Uncle T just meant besides Mexican food.

London has actually started to get some passable Mexican food the past few years, and the most precisely prepared Mexican food I’ve ever had was actually in Tokyo! On average though we are spoiled with choice for Mexican food options in Phoenix.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tiffywren
I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce Laurent Perrier Grande Seicle (I have trouble spelling it, too!) so I just ask for champagne...
Same here... I always say See-Ackle. Not that I've had it for ages!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by dylanks

Americans spell filet with one l and think they are French by calling it a filet mignon, but then they insist on calling a pain au chocolat as a Chocolate croissant even when it is not in a crescent shape.
Yes I realised that after posting and edited it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by headingwest
Back to the First cabin, what is the correct way of saying Taittinger?
We don't really have the necessary phonemes in English, but here goes.

Tay tahn zhay

The "g" in the last syllable "ger" (which I've approximated as "zh") is pronounced like the "g" in "beige". The "ng" is pronounced similar to the "ng" in "orange" in the French pronunciation. The French pronunciation for "orange" would be "orahnge", as opposed to the American pronunciation of "orringe".
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dylanks

I think Uncle T just meant besides Mexican food.

London has actually started to get some passable Mexican food the past few years, and the most precisely prepared Mexican food I’ve ever had was actually in Tokyo! On average though we are spoiled with choice for Mexican food options in Phoenix.
Thanks for the quick defence/defense, my AZ buddy!! It’s just that Mexican food requires intensive training to understand (although i have discovered I don’t really like refried beans!). And I really enjoyed something Mex in Tortilla Flat, AZ, but I have no recollection of what it was called! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26975002-post2.html
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I asked about the Paul Rodger once...
Pol Roger.....?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Or you could just ask for LPGS - that works too, and is way easier to pronounce
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Loh-rahn Peh-ree-ay Gr-ahnd See-eck-luh
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
And what is this MarryOTT hotel of which Americans speak so highly ?

Is it any relation to our slighty grotty trouser-pressy MARRriut ?
JAXBA likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The one that virtually everyone gets wrong - passengers, staff, First class, cattle class - is brusCHetta.

It’s a ‘k’ sound in Italian, not a ‘sh’.

But you all knew that of course.
One of Mr. Fink’s (Italian born and raised) biggest pet peeves. It makes him crazy when he hears it pronounced bruSHetta in an Italian restaurant.

As for me, when we first moved to Italy, my Italian was not quite as perfect as I thought it was. We were having dinner with his parents and talking about wine giving me a headache. However rather than saying it gave me a ‘mal di testa’, I said ‘testa di cazzo’, which means a head of a different sort (think male anatomy or Richardhead).

Or when I went into a store looking for a heart-shaped leather box after having been coached by Mr. Fink in precisely what to ask for. Instead of asking for a ‘scatola a fatto in cuoio, a forma di cuore’ I asked for a ‘scoreggia’. The very polite salesperson just smiled and showed me where the leather farts were.
itsmeitisss and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerub
Well, in the vein of helping you say things right when travelling: Australian right coast city names:

Brisbane: bris-bun
Sydney: hard to get wrong, you probably say it fine.
Canberra: Can-bruh
Melbourne: Mel-bun
Cairns: Cans

​​​​​And a bonus one, for anyone who takes the ferry back from Rotterdam: the port it goes to is Harwich, which I once said : Hare-which. Don't say it like that. I believe its "harrich" but it's hard to tell when someone's making fun of you.
​​​​
​​​
Aussies always like to get Kiwis to say Six Decks.

I had a funny moment with a Qantas member of staff that was based in Sydney, but was a Kiwi. I was speaking to her from my Auckland hotel room and my bags had failed to make the plane in Johannesburg. She asked me for my room number when she repeated it back to me - 366, I could hear laughter in the room behind her. (to remove any doubt, she pronounced it Free Sex Sex)
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Finkface
One of Mr. Fink’s (Italian born and raised) biggest pet peeves. It makes him crazy when he hears it pronounced bruSHetta in an Italian restaurant.
He's not alone. It sounds so wrong... as with cappuccino spelled with just one c or p
At the same time, sometimes my English pronunciation is just awful and my french conversation barely functional... :d Luckily a lot of french food terms are pronounced the same as in italian, so I can manage
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
One word to say VERY carefully in Italian is penne. You have to sound both 'n's and put the emphasis on the vowel following the double consonant. Fail to sound both 'n's and you are ordering Bolognese male appendage. Similar mistakes can be made with the word for pain - pena. Pena in testa, can sound like something head....and yes , early on in my Italian studies in Northern Italy, I did make that mistake as I had forgotten the phrase 'mal di testa' for a headache. I'd attempted to say pain in head, and put an e on the end instead of an a. Much mirth was had at my expense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.