Wiki Posts
Search

Commoners guide to avoid those mess-ups...er...faux pas, when travelling in F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by headingwest
Speaking or learning other languages always has its pitfalls. 10 years ago I bought a house in a village in Slovakia as a holiday home, and there were grapevines growing along the side of the house. I'll never forget the time I asked one of my neighbours what I could do with my many grapes. Unfortunately, I got my ''hrozno'' and ''hovno'' mixed up. Hrozno = grapes, hovno = excrement (the impolite way of saying it) The expression on his face will stay with my forever!

Back to the First cabin, what is the correct way of saying Taittinger?
Most non French speakers say Tat in jer where as the French say Tet ay shay.
T8191 and headingwest like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The one that virtually everyone gets wrong - passengers, staff, First class, cattle class - is brusCHetta.

It’s a ‘k’ sound in Italian, not a ‘sh’.

But you all knew that of course.
Goes with another favourite of mine, the machiato. Remember the K sound in that as well.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not normally too bad in correct pronunciation, but I do have a major problem with understanding what the hell the words mean.

I have a flight to SE Asia in F later in the year and was recently looking through the CCR menu thread. Didn't have a clue what they were talking about. In my part of the world if its brown and runny and you pour it over your roast beef it's called gravy.
endoman likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Most non French speakers say Tat in jer where as the French say Tet ay shay.
I don’t think there’s much Tat in JER
Cris L likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After the F purser on the GRU-EZE leg found out I was a fellow Glaswegian she came to my seat with the drinks tray and said 'fancy a wee swally?''
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I once asked for the Spanish red in F (can't remember what it actually was, and I was op-up scum anyway).

Got a very apolgetic cabin crew member, who brought me what I'd asked for, saying that they'd loaded the same grape variety, but it was French. As it turned out, the bottle was in Catalan.

I'm still not sure if he was more embarrassed than I was.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:46 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by T8191
e.g. The Happisburgh lighthouse is, as any fule no, pronounced Hazeboro.
Uncle T, you need to practice more. Here in Norfolk, we pronounce it Haze-bruh.

It is, however, fortunate you didn’t use some other local dialect. The coastal villages of Weybourne and Stiffkey - often overflown on exercise - become Web-ben and Stookey, which might well have caused mass confusion with the USAF.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest

Back to the First cabin, what is the correct way of saying Taittinger?
LPGS?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Well, I find the whole topic a little funny.

Half the time (or more) I will have to repeat myself in Frenglish when ordering something with the proper pronunciation. Whether it is a Grand Cru, or a Pain au Chocolat, it seems like no one understands me when I don't englicize the words.

So, all in all, you can mangle the words half-way or all the way. I wouldn't feel bad about being on the latter side, it's all weird anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
Well, I find the whole topic a little funny.

Half the time (or more) I will have to repeat myself in Frenglish when ordering something with the proper pronunciation. Whether it is a Grand Cru, or a Pain au Chocolat, it seems like no one understands me when I don't englicize the words.This,

So, all in all, you can mangle the words a little or a lot. I wouldn't feel bad on the occasions where one mangles them a lot.
I think this is the bigger problem. Bruschetta, for example, is possibly well-enough established in English (as is chorizo, though people seem confused as to the language it comes from) that there's a very fine balance between looking pretentious (no one is ever going to say that they're travelling to Muenchen unless they're either German, or speaking the language, or even using the fricative ch sound) and uncultured (pronouncing Munich as Moon-itch, for instance).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Uncle T, you need to practice more. Here in Norfolk, we pronounce it Haze-bruh.
You are, of course, correct. I knew that, but my phonetic typing was inaccurate!

It’s a long time since my years at Wottun in Naarfuk in the 70s
NWIFlyer likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Apr 21, 2018 at 7:02 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Reminds me of home... where Belvoir is Bea-ver, Sproxton is Spro-son and Croxton is Cro-son.

Down the back the wine is 'red' or 'white', while in WT+ it's 2 red or 2 white with labels too small to read and crew who don't know which is which anyway, so pointy fingers are a must. Moving up into CW (or even F) is best avoided.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
One of the benefits of boarding early on a long haul flight is getting the menu early, so there is sufficient time to use Google to understand some of the descriptions. While this has become easier over the years, ten years ago I was pretty lost in understanding the food options! I’ll blame American English and our reduced food vocabulary for this challenge.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
What about a train ticket from Milngavie to Ardgay?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice admission, dylanks ... ignoring the Mexican stuff in PHX, the vocabulary seems to be “BBQ, Pizza, Burger, and ‘You want fries with that?’ “

I’ve been looking at our eating options for June, and reckon we will be cooking for ourselves most of the time!!
dylanks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.