FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   after 600 Google reviews, I just realized that anybody can see where I've been... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1905148-after-600-google-reviews-i-just-realized-anybody-can-see-where-ive-been.html)

deniah Apr 24, 2018 2:40 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 29676739)
OP, what exactly is your concern? Someone who wishes to target you can easily use public records / low-cost services and quickly turn up your home address and likely your place of work as well. Yet you're worried about... the chance that they might stake out your favorite burger place for an entire month hoping to bump into you there?

for me i'd rather not have people know where i eat; sleep; travel to; what apps i download and use; what my preferences are; if im picky about the breakfast spread or a sucker for $3 all-you-can-eat Cicis pizza; etc. why broadcast all that stuff when its not necessary?

for OP - it is possible to delete reviews individually. methinks if you delete the google account, all the reviews will persist.

slawecki Apr 24, 2018 9:06 am

delete this post by slawecki

i have deleted this post

Zeeb Apr 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 29665598)
When google changed reviews from anonymous to named - which was some years ago - I deleted the few reviews that I made on that platform.

There's enough metadata floating around to profile me I don't need another vendor capturing even more explicit info

I'm the same. I don't leave public reviews anywhere that requires use of my real name. Somebody could still connect the dots in Tripadvisor or Yelp but at least it would take a bit of effort.

Astaroth Apr 26, 2018 2:39 am

Originally Posted by geometry (Post 29676317)
ok.. I confess... I recently got my very first female stalker. :(

But you'd have posted a happy face if it was a male stalker?

I don't post a review of a place when I'm at it, for one it'll not cover the full experience until I've left, and secondly if I go to a steakhouse every friday I only post 1 review the first/second time I go so any potential "stalker" will have no idea that I've a reservation at 7:15 every friday.

deniah Apr 26, 2018 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Astaroth (Post 29685081)
But you'd have posted a happy face if it was a male stalker?

I don't post a review of a place when I'm at it, for one it'll not cover the full experience until I've left, and secondly if I go to a steakhouse every friday I only post 1 review the first/second time I go so any potential "stalker" will have no idea that I've a reservation at 7:15 every friday.

it's also a bit disturbing to see personalized vendor responses to things like tripadvisor reviews, even when neither the reviewer/complainant's moniker nor remark/comment is specific or easily identifiable.
i understand defending ones business against slander and exaggerations, but sometimes its creepy

i dont leave immediate reviews, whether theyre bad OR good.

darthbimmer Apr 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 29685364)
i dont leave immediate reviews, whether theyre bad OR good.

I delay all my reviews by at least a few days. I figure that allows me to mention specifics in the review without staff at the business connecting those particulars to me individually (I contribute to Yelp where users are identified by First Name Last Initial) and making an issue out of it during a subsequent visit. Mostly that's a precaution for when I write negative reviews though I'm also mindful of a friend who was once harangued by a manager for writing a review that wasn't positive enough.