Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

after 600 Google reviews, I just realized that anybody can see where I've been...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

after 600 Google reviews, I just realized that anybody can see where I've been...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

In the past couple of years, I've been posting Google reviews about places that I visit without thinking. (restaurants, hotels, dentist, doctors, tourist attractions, airports, airport lounges) Basically anywhere that I travel to that's worth reviewing.

I currently have a little over 600 reviews and these places are in 18 countries. I've never actually gone back and read my own reviews, until yesterday. My flight was delayed for 4 hours due to weather issues. I got bored and started reading my own reviews.

The more I read, the more paranoid I became. My reviews are like a detailed guide for my stalker or angry scorned lover to find me in 5 minutes.(don't either one currently, thankfully)

Am I better off just deleting or editing some of my travel reviews just so nobody can find me? I actually considered the more drastic action of deleting my Gmail account associated with the reviews, although I'm not sure if that will make all the past reviews disappear?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: *G
When google changed reviews from anonymous to named - which was some years ago - I deleted the few reviews that I made on that platform.

There's enough metadata floating around to profile me I don't need another vendor capturing even more explicit info
Zeeb likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
It might be a good to delete the places you go currently, but those in the past shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:58 pm

throw them off the scent

what i will do from now, wherever i am, i will look for a landmass nearest the antipode.

find some random chip shop there and give a review.

who am i kidding, whoever wants to find me can just turn on the chip in my brain anyway.

i have a lot of free time.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Use a pen name (like I do on Yelp). Problem solved.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
what i will do from now, wherever i am, i will look for a landmass nearest the antipode.

The antipodes of most inhabited landmasses are in the ocean. So you'll be visiting a lot of chip shops in Chile, Argentina, Spain, New Zealand and Indonesia.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:01 am

not a bad idea

....to actually make a quest of doing exactly that.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric

who am i kidding, whoever wants to find me can just turn on the chip in my brain anyway.

i have a lot of free time.
how does that work in my case? My reviews from the last couple of years include Germany, Greece, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, UK, France, Croatia, Russia, Iceland, Australia, Tonga, South Korea... plus 27 U.S. states(including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as Puerto Rico)...

I guess I shoudl start deleting the reviews of places that are within miles of where I actually live. (like my church, dentist, primary doctor, nearest McDonald, gas station, HOA office, etc?)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
It might be a good to delete the places you go currently, but those in the past shouldn't be a problem.
Agreed. I normally avoid posting anything indicating I'm out of town but once I'm back, so what?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricH
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

Moses: Yeah, I was gonna put that on the stone tablets as the 11th Commandment, but I ran out of space, so I said "f*** it, 10 is a nice round number anyway!"

Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:49 pm

Years of posting hundreds of reviews and no one has cared - really think this is an issue?

Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelark
Years of posting hundreds of reviews and no one has cared - really think this is an issue?

ok.. I confess... I recently got my very first female stalker.

Last edited by geometry; Apr 23, 2018 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, what exactly is your concern? Someone who wishes to target you can easily use public records / low-cost services and quickly turn up your home address and likely your place of work as well. Yet you're worried about... the chance that they might stake out your favorite burger place for an entire month hoping to bump into you there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.