Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

after 600 Google reviews, I just realized that anybody can see where I've been...

after 600 Google reviews, I just realized that anybody can see where I've been...

Old Apr 24, 18, 3:40 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
OP, what exactly is your concern? Someone who wishes to target you can easily use public records / low-cost services and quickly turn up your home address and likely your place of work as well. Yet you're worried about... the chance that they might stake out your favorite burger place for an entire month hoping to bump into you there?
for me i'd rather not have people know where i eat; sleep; travel to; what apps i download and use; what my preferences are; if im picky about the breakfast spread or a sucker for $3 all-you-can-eat Cicis pizza; etc. why broadcast all that stuff when its not necessary?

for OP - it is possible to delete reviews individually. methinks if you delete the google account, all the reviews will persist.
Old Apr 24, 18, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete this post by slawecki

i have deleted this post

Last edited by slawecki; Apr 25, 18 at 1:51 am Reason: un nice post
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by deniah View Post
When google changed reviews from anonymous to named - which was some years ago - I deleted the few reviews that I made on that platform.

There's enough metadata floating around to profile me I don't need another vendor capturing even more explicit info
I'm the same. I don't leave public reviews anywhere that requires use of my real name. Somebody could still connect the dots in Tripadvisor or Yelp but at least it would take a bit of effort.
Old Apr 26, 18, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by geometry View Post
ok.. I confess... I recently got my very first female stalker.
But you'd have posted a happy face if it was a male stalker?

I don't post a review of a place when I'm at it, for one it'll not cover the full experience until I've left, and secondly if I go to a steakhouse every friday I only post 1 review the first/second time I go so any potential "stalker" will have no idea that I've a reservation at 7:15 every friday.
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:14 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
But you'd have posted a happy face if it was a male stalker?

I don't post a review of a place when I'm at it, for one it'll not cover the full experience until I've left, and secondly if I go to a steakhouse every friday I only post 1 review the first/second time I go so any potential "stalker" will have no idea that I've a reservation at 7:15 every friday.
it's also a bit disturbing to see personalized vendor responses to things like tripadvisor reviews, even when neither the reviewer/complainant's moniker nor remark/comment is specific or easily identifiable.
i understand defending ones business against slander and exaggerations, but sometimes its creepy

i dont leave immediate reviews, whether theyre bad OR good.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by deniah View Post
i dont leave immediate reviews, whether theyre bad OR good.
I delay all my reviews by at least a few days. I figure that allows me to mention specifics in the review without staff at the business connecting those particulars to me individually (I contribute to Yelp where users are identified by First Name Last Initial) and making an issue out of it during a subsequent visit. Mostly that's a precaution for when I write negative reviews though I'm also mindful of a friend who was once harangued by a manager for writing a review that wasn't positive enough.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: