How do you sleep on planes?

Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
eye mask, ear plugs, NO alcohol, Tylenol PM
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:34 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lie flat seat + 2 pillows + 0.5 mg Xanax works well for me
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
So, so even Business class

Ive been flying TPAC for @ a decade. Mostly business class. Ive usually flown. SEA-PVG leaving midday SEA time. Never slept well in the 767 (Delta). Recently Ive started flying SEA-TPE on EVA and their flights leave after midnight SEA time. Even in just Premium Economy I found I could sleep many hours more than I had in Delta Business class.

I assume the the difference is flying during my normal sleep time.

It it also helps to have noise cancelling headphones.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I assume the the difference is flying during my normal sleep time.
It it also helps to have noise cancelling headphones.
I too like the midnight flights to Asia, which arrive in the morning there. You get a very long night of sleep.
To Europe, I prefer the latest possible departure, so that arrival time is not 7/8am (2/3am my body time)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:17 am

I listen to music. I can easily sleep when I'm listening mellow songs.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

I've never been able to sleep on a plane, I've flown to the US about 4 times now and everytime I just can't doze off.

It's mainly because I have sensitive hearing I think, the background noise of the planes air con (An old British airways 777 way beyond it's time!) that keeps me awake.

I bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, but they only stay on when something is being played through them, so I might try finding a long background noise track to see if it helps me fall asleep.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sleeping on flights is something I have struggled with and is one reason I have given up on business class flights.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:50 pm

How do you sleep on a plane? How do you sleep on a plane? When I find out I'll be sure to share.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sleeping on flights is something I have struggled with and is one reason I have given up on business class flights.
Same

My flights to Tampa are actually not to bad, as I wake up at 8am, get to the airport by 9am, get on a plane at 11-11:30am, fly for 10 hours, then by the time I get to Tampa it's 5pm/5:30pm, so I go to sleep a few hours later
It's the trip back that kills me.
Wake up at 9am, get to the airport at 3pm, fly out at 5pm, 8 hours later, arrive at London around 9am, then have a 1 hour train journey home and it's the middle of the day, so I end up sleeping during the day and being awake at night
Then it'll take me a few days to reset my internal sleeping clock and resume regular hours.

I'll never understand why airlines don't use memory foam or latex for seats/beds, they would be much more comfortable than the foam stuff.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by AdamPD
I've never been able to sleep on a plane, I've flown to the US about 4 times now and everytime I just can't doze off.

It's mainly because I have sensitive hearing I think, the background noise of the planes air con (An old British airways 777 way beyond it's time!) that keeps me awake.

I bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, but they only stay on when something is being played through them, so I might try finding a long background noise track to see if it helps me fall asleep.
I'm assuming you have a bluetooth headset. My Bose QC25 doesn't do this (I have heard that the Sonys do this... not sure about the QC35)

There are a few suggestions in the technology forum to resolve this issue. One that I found worked was to record 1 second long of silence and put it on my phone. Play only that (in a cycled of repeat). The only downside is that you will run down battery on the headset as well as the phone.... but if you have an external battery pack, you should be good.

Personally, I have a recording of the airplane engine sound and I use that occasionally (yes, I know it's ironic.... but airplane engine noise doesn't bother me.... the sudden jolt of a baby crying can...with my headset, at least I'm just getting the airplane noise).
Old May 11, 2018, 1:36 am

Sleeping on a Flight

Close your eyes & sleep
Old May 11, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: US Gold
First, I try to be tired.

I find it easier to sleep undisturbed in a window seat though I generally prefer aisle.
Loose, comfortable clothing.
Eat before getting on the plane.
Noise-cancelling in-ear headphones,
A sound track of some sort that masks external noises I might focus on. Typically, I prefer a lot of talk, so long podcasts, talk-heavy movie soundtracks, lectures, even stand-up comedy. Basically, anything with a reasonably consistent voice and volume. Set to loop eternally (because otherwise I wake up when it stops).

I don't drink or use sleeping pills.

wg
Old May 19, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Global Entry WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
When I fly ORD-TYO, I generally somehow manage to fall asleep during the flight's regular flow.
This does cause havoc when the airline recognizes I have a frequent flyer profile that indicates I specify the Kosher Meal. This is a vestige of when I first logged on to an airline's W-WW site back in the 20th Century. One-too-many morning flights from ORD-MCI with the meal being a ham and egg sandwich.
I seemingly have no problem falling asleep sitting in the upright position. I fall asleep on the CTA route #77 Belmont bus, and have slept through my stop. I attribute that to consuming a lot of craft beer.
For the rest of you people, I have no advice. Sleeping is very personal, and I do not know you.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

I can never sleep on a plane i always pick an aisle seat so when i feel like im nodding off my head literally rolls around my shoulders and i wake up with a horrible jolt. Apart from one flight on an A380 i slept solidly for like four hours, never happened since. BUT what i find helps is a xanax, get your blanket or coat and throw it over you so your literally in a little dark ball and pop your headphones in, honestly its amazing you actually forget your on a plane.

Last edited by Chris Ratcha Maltman; May 20, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reason: forgot to add how i get to sleep on a plane haha
Old May 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

our trick is to start synchronizing with European time 2 to 3 days earlier..
I'm a physician and have no problem slightly overdosing on sleeping pills. I do not recommend Ambien because it is too short acting and can cause acute confusional spells where people wind up sleepwalking around the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.