Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Old Apr 17, 18, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Gloabal roaming at $500 a minute would stop me.
There is no such thing as "roaming GPS". You can receive a signal from the GPS satellites without any cell phone contract. If you cache map data on your phone (before you leave, or when on wifi) then you can have a GPS map without any roaming fees.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-cache-...r-an-729295083
https://www.imore.com/how-cache-maps...le-maps-20-ios
RobCH likes this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
There is no such thing as "roaming GPS". You can receive a signal from the GPS satellites without any cell phone contract. If you cache map data on your phone (before you leave, or when on wifi) then you can have a GPS map without any roaming fees.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-cache-...r-an-729295083
https://www.imore.com/how-cache-maps...le-maps-20-ios
that becomes a static map (digital version of paper) ... it doesnít update in real time, which I think is what Annalisa12 was referring to
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:28 am

If you sit by the window, you get to choose whether it's up or down. At least that's my theory.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I’ll bite. I am always shocked at the over-entitled people who hog the overhead space with three carry on bags (common in the USA, on UA at least) and who affect to be inconvenienced when I get something or other out of my very small bag on a 11 hour flight.

Also I hate the people who want me to close the window shade on a day flight so that they can watch some mindless drivel on the IFE (often adults watching comics).
My theory has always been that if you sit next to the window, it's your choice whether it's up or down.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

that becomes a static map (digital version of paper) ... it doesnít update in real time, which I think is what Annalisa12 was referring to
I always used cached maps if I'm travelling overseas. Downloaded a day or two in advance and I've never found the lack of real-time updating to be a problem at all. Google Maps offline can update automatically if/whenever you're on wifi, so no roaming charges. You won't get real-time from any printed map, which by the time it hits the street will be six or more month out of date anyway.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:54 am

Not Digital Boarding Pass

I always prefer printed boarding passes.
Since I've been collecting all boardings since 1989, I prefer to have paper boarding, not digital.
In the case of boarding pass printed on thermal paper I make a copy in regular paper when I arrive at home and file together with the others.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:57 am

Bathroom emergencies

Some people have had surgeries or have medical conditions that cause urgency on the bathroom front. Even going to the bathroom right before the flight is no guarantee. It is humiliating to be ďthatĒ person, so please be kind and donít make assumptions.
polarbears, ajGoes and lmashton like this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I'm surprised that so many people don't print out their boarding passes on paper. (At least, this is my assumption based on how many people scan their phone to board.)

FWIW, I also print out my hotel and transportation confirmations for my entire trip, but I consider my boarding pass to be far more important to print out than any of those.
I haven't checked bags for years, and unless there's a delay or cancellation, I bypass the check-in counters. For several years I had phones that weren't smart enough to display a boarding pass (or did, for a year or so and then didn't because the host got an upgraded that gagged the phone) but since I've had a boarding-pass-capable phone for a year or so now, I've been going with that. When I'm leaving from home, I always carry a paper copy of the boarding pass, but when I'm leaving from a hotel, often there isn't a convenient way to print it. Could be that I lead a sheltered life and rarely fly outside the US, but whenever I've not brought a paper boarding pass with me, I've always been able to stop at a kiosk in the check-in area and get a pass in less than a minute.

What does annoy me is that I still have to take my wallet out of my pocket and remove my driver's license from the wallet. That takes more hands than I have to spare when I'm moving, so I always have to stop and put down a bag to get my license out, then I have to put it back - though I usually just stuff it into my shirt pocket and reorganize when I get to the gate.

I also have a printout of hotel and car rental reservations with me since I can do those in advance, and have occasionally had to use on to point out a discrepancy between the rate on my reservation and what they're trying to charge me when I get there.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: AC, LH, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis First
When I'm waiting in line for security, I remove all metal and put them in my carry-on.
This way I go thru security quickly and I'm sure I never forget anything behind in the bin.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
Same here. I'd rather spend an extra hour or two and play it safe, than to risk a miss and waste much more time. Even on the odd chance you make it most of the time, still not worth it to me either.
It is amazingly satisfying when you time it just right and walk straight from the street to your seat though.

Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
Stand right, walk left.
Definitely this.
Unless you are in a stand left, walk right country. 🙂
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by lmashton View Post
I frequently stand on the moving walkway. I'm disabled - invisibly disabled, but disabled nonetheless. Saving my energy means I'll take less time to recover from the flight and I'll be in less pain. It also means my joints will be less likely to dislocate or otherwise cause me damage.
Ten times this. I walk fast myself, but in my family we have variations of what you mentioned (genetic connective tissue disorders) and choosing energy expenditure carefully makes or breaks a trip (and the weeks recovering after).

Itís like on the road, when someone is slow when the light turns green they might just be fiddling with their radio or maybe they are going home after a 12 visit in an emergency room.
lmashton likes this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Offshore171 View Post
1. When booking a multi sector long haul, pay close attention to the layover times for each option. Sometimes the booking engines serve up options that are crazy tight, even if they are technically legal. Eg, 70 minutes at Dubai or 65 at Heathrow.

No way I'll take one of those, your contingency is gone. Give me a 2.5 hour layover.

2. Long haul overnight J. Don't wait until 1 hour from landing to use the loo. When you have a couple of dozen pax all queuing up to change back out of their Pajamas all at once...
Surely people donít really change into pajamas on flights? What is this? A Pulman berth on a 1953 California Zephyr?
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:32 am

A couple of years ago I was in line for so-called customer service. I called United and was disconnected twice before finally finishing a rebooking. But I still had to stand in line to get a hotel voucher.
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:50 am

Sanitizing wipes for the tray tables. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone else actually doing it. Hasn't everyone seen pictures by now of what your fellow flyers are doing on these tables sometimes?
BenA and DaylilyFan like this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
How do you suggest packing so one is not checking a bag for a 6 or 8 week vacation? Please tell my wife, because I think she'd be a bit upset if I was selective about my travel mates based on checked baggage.
Once you exceed about a week, itís time to do laundry rather than to pack more stuff. My wife and I went on an entire three week honeymoon with only a carryon, and it wasnít a problem at all. If youíre gone for that length of time, itís likely at least some of your accommodations will be apartment rentals they have laundry facilities (and if not, you should be able to find a laundromat with minimal effort).

And to preempt the next objection, we spent half the trip in Fiji and half in New Zealand - about as far apart at the time as climates could get. Careful layering is the name of the game for flexible packing. And if you donít get it right, itís usually easy to buy something extra at your destination - I will cop to buying a souvenir All Blacks jacket to cope with Windy Wellington

If you or someone you travel with is having trouble editing down the clothing selection, Iíd recommend ExOfficioís products. They arenít cheap, but unlike most travel outfitters many of their pieces are stealthy enough to cover you from daytime travel to nighttime dinner reservations without a problem. Choosing good footwear is important too - for ladies, in particular, limiting to a max of 1-2 packed pairs that are versatile in addition to wearing your bulkiest on the plane is smart.
thunderlounge likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: