FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1902952-what-things-you-do-when-you-travel-you-surprised-others-do-not-do.html)

Loren Pechtel Apr 9, 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Carnforth (Post 29620858)
Surprised how few people have their own luggage tag with their flight details on their checked baggage.

Given that airline luggage tags come adrift now and again, therefore leading to missing luggage, it can make the difference between the airline printing you a new tag and your luggage accompanying you on the plane; or ending stuck in a corner of the baggage handling shed.

Yup. I have some embroidered with our name. Inside them is both our address and the address we most commonly fly to. They attach with metal rings rather than a piece of string, they're not likely to go missing and they are easy to spot on the carousel.

txflyer77 Apr 9, 2018 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 29621878)
Yup. I have some embroidered with our name. Inside them is both our address and the address we most commonly fly to. They attach with metal rings rather than a piece of string, they're not likely to go missing and they are easy to spot on the carousel.

I love the Red Oxx luggage tags for this. They're made of a thick rubber that's unlikely to ever come loose.

Proudelitist Apr 9, 2018 11:12 pm

Give myself a cushion of time. Usually 30 to 45 minutes. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Too many times I have ended up running because a train cut off my route to the airport, or there was a traffic jam, or the security line was an hour long...that kind of thing.

So when people I know are so casual about it as to plan to arrive at the gate EXACTLY at boarding time, I am amazed at their luck and their sense of risk. It's almost at the level of the old Pa Kettle misconception: "Don't worry, they'll hold the plane for us!"

stut Apr 10, 2018 4:32 am

This might not be Flyertalk-friendly but...

Take a direct flight on a LCC/ULCC rather than an indirect flight to travel on a major airline.

OK, there's a lot of factors and assumptions here (as with many of the points in this thread) but I'd rather be loungeless (I can pay for premium security and seating if I want it) and suffer some minor discomfort for a short time than get home 3 hours later. Miles on short-haul are a joke round here anyway.

The other one, which applies to a lot of colleagues is:

Take a convenient flight to an airport with a simple transfer to the destination instead of an awkward journey to an origin airport with a direct flight to the destination.

That's a little convoluted, I know. But I work next to an airport, and one of our major travel destinations isn't served from the airport next to us. Instead, you have to travel right across London - an awful journey by road, and a long journey with two changes by rail. And that's what nearly everyone does.

Which is odd, as there's plenty flights from the airport next door to locations with an easy, high-speed rail transfer directly from the airport to the destination. I know it's not always easy to navigate public transport in another country, but it's not that hard.

readywhenyouare Apr 10, 2018 5:00 am

I always check my luggage. It makes security and connections so much easier. The only thing that comes past the checkpoint is my backpack. With pre-check I can be through security in seconds if everyone else is cooperative. Oh yes, and I despise those that are not prepared once in the pre-check line.

Badenoch Apr 10, 2018 7:11 am

When in a foreign country I am self-contained meaning I always carry my passport, have more than sufficient cash to get me to the nearest international airport and enough room on my credit cards to walk on to any flight in any class to anywhere.

OTD Apr 10, 2018 7:55 am

I always carry a couple hundred dollars in the local currency (easy to get from my bank) going to a foreign country. I want to at least be able to get to my hotel and be able to get by for a couple days if I can't find an ATM, it eats my card, or whatever.

Proudelitist Apr 10, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29623433)
I always check my luggage. It makes security and connections so much easier. The only thing that comes past the checkpoint is my backpack. With pre-check I can be through security in seconds if everyone else is cooperative. Oh yes, and I despise those that are not prepared once in the pre-check line.

I am a convert to this. I used to be opposed to doing this. To me it was yet another line to stand in on either end of the trip...one to check it, one to pick it up..plus another risk of lost luggage.

However, with the run on bin spaces it seems I don't have to worry about that anymore, and I am in less of a hurry than I used to be anyhow. In my really intense traveling days, when I was flying twice a week for years, my whole obsession was trying to make each journey amazingly efficient. Now, I really have no issue spending an extra 10 mins here and there if it means I don't have to wheel my luggage around and jockey for bin space.

The exception of course, it International travel with multiple connections. I have been stuck abroad with missing luggage one too many times

dulciusexasperis Apr 10, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 29621869)
Some of us tend to walk fast even if we aren't in a hurry.

Obviously, you missed the point Loren Pechtel. It isn't about how fast someone walks, it's about how fast they live their life. I was trying to make a philosophical point but perhaps you and a couple of others who don't seem to have been able to get past physical walking speed, didn't have time to read the link I posted which might have made that clear. That's OK, we all 'march to the beat of a different drummer.'

beachmouse Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29624014)
However, with the run on bin spaces it seems I don't have to worry about that anymore, and I am in less of a hurry than I used to be anyhow. In my really intense traveling days, when I was flying twice a week for years, my whole obsession was trying to make each journey amazingly efficient. Now, I really have no issue spending an extra 10 mins here and there if it means I don't have to wheel my luggage around and jockey for bin space.

Most of my travel is domestic with Delta and at airports where the time from the plane door opening to bags arriving on belt is 17-23 minutes (I stopwatch it for the '20 minutes or 2500 miles guarantee' because I'm cheap like that) And since I fly cattle class, by the time I'm off the plane and have made a stop to empty the bladder, it's typically a five minute or less effective wait for those routes, and the bags often beat me to the carousel.

Mauibaby2008 Apr 10, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 29621869)
Some of us tend to walk fast even if we aren't in a hurry.

I naturally walk pretty fast and do not realize it, until I’m with a slow walker and they ask me why I’m running :D

wetrat0 Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am

1. I politely speak up when someone is in my way at the airport or on the airplane (train station, etc). For example, when people are standing on the moving walkway and they take up the whole width (really, who does this??). I'm on the moving walkway because I want to get where I'm going faster than walking, not slower. If someone is in my way I will say "excuse me, please". I've never had anyone refuse this request. It surprises me that my fellow travelers don't do this and instead just bunch up behind the standers, as if it's a futile situation. Similar situation with gate lice.

2. As soon as a flight cancellation or major delay happens, or I miss my connection, I immediately pull out my phone and call reservations. It surprises me to no end that people will choose to queue up behind 100 people to wait for one or two agents, when they could call and have access literally to hundreds of phone agents. It baffles me even more when the airport agent announces that they have cards printed with the phone number available at the desk, and people still stand in line. Not only that but if you get a good phone agent they can be very creative with options, compared to an airport agent who is in a hurry because they have 100 people in line.

rickg523 Apr 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 (Post 29624570)
1. I politely speak up when someone is in my way at the airport or on the airplane (train station, etc). For example, when people are standing on the moving walkway (really, who does this??) and they take up the whole width. I'm on the moving walkway because I want to get where I'm going faster than walking, not slower. If someone is in my way I will say "excuse me, please". I've never had anyone refuse this request. It surprises me that my fellow travelers don't do this and instead just bunch up behind the standers, as if it's a futile situation. Similar situation with gate lice.

2. As soon as a flight cancellation or major delay happens, or I miss my connection, I immediately pull out my phone and call reservations. It surprises me to no end that people will choose to queue up behind 100 people to wait for one or two agents, when they could call and have access literally to hundreds of phone agents. It baffles me even more when the airport agent announces that they have cards printed with the phone number available at the desk, and people still stand in line. Not only that but if you get a good phone agent they can be very creative with options, compared to an airport agent who is in a hurry because they have 100 people in line.

More than like both of your points, and I also employ them and am bemused that so many don't (esp. #2 ). Though often I'm using the phone while I'm in that line. But I've rarely had to stay in line.
I also find that sm contact can be an efficient alternative in cases where phone isn't.

Whowouldanewman Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist (Post 29624014)
I am a convert to this. I used to be opposed to doing this. To me it was yet another line to stand in on either end of the trip...one to check it, one to pick it up..plus another risk of lost luggage.

The exception of course, it International travel with multiple connections. I have been stuck abroad with missing luggage one too many times

I have also started to check my bag more and more for the same reasons. I do a shuttle from PDX to SEA pretty regularly and even though it is a quick flight, and many of my planes are props with plane-side baggage, I still check it. I just like being free of the bag, plus i get a chance to get my 2500 miles if Alaska takes too long :)

Proudelitist Apr 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 (Post 29624570)

I have done this from my seat on the plane. I remember going from DCA to GRU and while waiting on the ground to push back, the pilot announced a hydraulic problem and that the flight was going to be delayed for hours. I immediately got on the phone and called in, got my connections at GRU sorted and got into a hotel. I passed hundreds of angry pax lined up at the desk on my way out.