Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm often surprised how many people I know will travel without a little bit of cash and more than one credit card, and also those who pay extortionate roaming fees for their phone (a very Canadian problem). I always have several options for payment and travel with the currency of where I'm going and USD, and get a local SIM.

I like getting to the airport early. Have dodged IRROPS headaches more than once by showing up and "just making" the alternative routing or having more options as a result. I also find it less stressful; hit the lounge for a drink or something to eat, etc. Secondary inspection? No problem, take all the time you need.
rayfes likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:38 am

Pee before boarding. You may be on the plane but that doesn't mean you can take your sweet time in the toilet prior to take-off.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by jrl767

and if your phone inexplicable disappears or dies? paper BP is a pretty good backup
not exactly hard to get another boarding pass.. and I’ve never had a phone inexplicably die in the 10 years that I’ve been using a smartphone.
RI2KH2SU and MiscMel70 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:37 am

1. When booking a multi sector long haul, pay close attention to the layover times for each option. Sometimes the booking engines serve up options that are crazy tight, even if they are technically legal. Eg, 70 minutes at Dubai or 65 at Heathrow.

No way I'll take one of those, your contingency is gone. Give me a 2.5 hour layover.

2. Long haul overnight J. Don't wait until 1 hour from landing to use the loo. When you have a couple of dozen pax all queuing up to change back out of their Pajamas all at once...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 am

I am surprised that people can't:
1. Just sit down and shut up so that others can do the same. Read, put on headphones, but please just sit down and shut up, help the plane depart on time, and help make it less miserable for all of us.
2. Don't download stuff before hand, so that you can access it in airplane mode.
3. Use the bathroom 10-15 minutes before boarding, not tyring to do it while boarding
4. Don't recline your seat, or at least when you are eating a meal, move it back up.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Two immediately come to mind:
- Open passport to photo page when it needs to be checked at the gate
- Step to the side in busy corridors or walkways when you want to stop and chat/ look at something

I'll add myself as another mobile pass only person. I actually rarely have access to computers, and it's a pain in the ... when I need to go print something. Much better to have dynamic access to an up to date boarding pass on my mobile at all times.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:12 am

I can't fly without alcohol. I have this very serious fear of flying. So i need to drink before boarding )
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:02 am

Travel habits depend on context, for work travel I never check in a bag but try going on a skiing holiday without checking a bag.

I never rely on the airplane food even in F and will always eat beforehand, being starving on a plane with hours to go before the destination is pretty miserable and easily avoided.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Tour and travel
sometimes it becomes your habit but i think you should make good habits, checking your bags before any travelling is necessary. yeah sometimes you have any mate that can cause troubles for you.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I am proactive as heck in IRROPS rebooking. I'll get an announcement while I'm awaiting departure at an outstation (ie. no chance of an equipment swap, pretty much everyone's making a connection) and there are times when it seems like 75% of my fellow travelers are just hanging out playing Candy Crush and assuming the airline will take care of everything once they get to Atlanta or Houston.

Which, when the delay was caused by something impacting a lot of flyers like an hourlong ground stop, can send a huge number of flyers chasing after a small number of open seats, and this early kettle can often get far better service recovery than the elite that waits. (Once you get a new seat, the airline has moved you into the Problem Solved column for the day and is reluctant to turn you into a Problem again. I figure there are a handful of very very high value customers that an airline is willing to boot someone from a confirmed seat over, and those VVHVCs are probably not chasing the same seats I am, so I'm good)
CO FF and Zeeb like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Two immediately come to mind:
- Open passport to photo page when it needs to be checked at the gate
- Step to the side in busy corridors or walkways when you want to stop and chat/ look at something

I'll add myself as another mobile pass only person. I actually rarely have access to computers, and it's a pain in the ... when I need to go print something. Much better to have dynamic access to an up to date boarding pass on my mobile at all times.
I'll second this. The complete lack of situational awareness that a lot of people in airports demonstrate just astounds me.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Deadbolt/chain/latch my hotel door so I don't have to post a "walked in on naked" thread.

Not be surprised when I get to the front of a line (check-in, security, etc.) that I actually need BP, ID , etc., and need to start rummaging around my belongings to get what has been needed by every other one of the thousands of people in the exact same situation, and by me every single time I travel.

Realize the "remove your belts, remove your watches" isn't really needed, at least for what I've worn through security hundreds of times.

Move to the right, with my bag in front of or behind me so others can walk up the escalator if needed.

Stand right, walk left.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I am proactive as heck in IRROPS rebooking. I'll get an announcement while I'm awaiting departure at an outstation (ie. no chance of an equipment swap, pretty much everyone's making a connection) and there are times when it seems like 75% of my fellow travelers are just hanging out playing Candy Crush and assuming the airline will take care of everything once they get to Atlanta or Houston.

Which, when the delay was caused by something impacting a lot of flyers like an hourlong ground stop, can send a huge number of flyers chasing after a small number of open seats, and this early kettle can often get far better service recovery than the elite that waits. (Once you get a new seat, the airline has moved you into the Problem Solved column for the day and is reluctant to turn you into a Problem again. I figure there are a handful of very very high value customers that an airline is willing to boot someone from a confirmed seat over, and those VVHVCs are probably not chasing the same seats I am, so I'm good)
This one as well. I have coworkers who travel frequently and never are proactive about IRROPS, or checking seat assignments, or anything really. They just assume that because they have status the airline will do everything for them. And then they get extremely upset any time things don't work out.

They consider travel to be super stressful and they can't figure out why.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by jspira
This random thought crossed my mind

In my case, since I never check bags, I am often shocked when I travel with someone who checks a bag (yes, I admit I simply should be more selective about travel mates). I always have some kind of lounge/sleepwear for bedtime in case the pajamas provided aren't terribly nice (and I'm really shocked when some people say how nice they are, an example being the original AA pajamas), and unless there's a lounge that I really want to spend time in, I tend to arrive at the airport pretty close to departure time (and am dumbstruck when people tell me they are arriving two or three hours prior).

I assume you're a pilot?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I always use paper BP. I do not want something that I hold up to my face to talk into dipped into a petri dish. I also agree on the use of the bathroom prior to boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.