Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with a rolled up scientific poster

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Traveling with a rolled up scientific poster

I will be presenting a scientific poster next month and I have heard that airlines usually allow these in carry-on luggage. Does this mean that the poster counts as my "small personal item" and I will not be able to also bring a carry-on bag and laptop?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:35 pm

One option would be to buy a cardboard tube at the post office and post it ahead. Should only cost a few bucks and saves the hassle of carrying.

Could that work for you?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The poster definitely counts as one of your two allowed items. ...Or it should. Airlines sometimes don't enforce the rule. And assuming it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, it should count as your overhead bin item, not your "small personal item".
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:07 pm

In practice, the poster is a free 3rd carry-on.

Technically, it is not compliant as a carry-on at all, but it takes a lot of misfortune to encounter a gate agent who would force you to check it.
rickg523, wxman22 and KDS777 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Get a poster tube with a strap and throw it over your shoulder - do not consider checking it under any circumstances.
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJexpat
I will be presenting a scientific poster next month and I have heard that airlines usually allow these in carry-on luggage. Does this mean that the poster counts as my "small personal item" and I will not be able to also bring a carry-on bag and laptop?
Whenever I've carried posters it's in addition to the personal item and carry-on bag and nobody has ever said anything. A poster tube is pretty small and will usually fit in an overhead that's otherwise full with bags unless they're all the max possible sized roller. If you're on an RJ it's even easier, particularly when one side is extra small.

If you get your poster done early, consider getting it printed on fabric. Print shops are expensive, but Spoonflower.com is an inexpensive custom printed fabric shop that people have figured out can print posters, too. I first found instructions on some astronomer's site, but now they have them on their own site here. Even if you have to pay for overnight shipping, it's less expensive than a fedex store. If your own department has a big printer that someone else pays for, that may be cheaper or comparable.
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I’ve done 30 or 40 conferences with posters in a tube. Never had a GA or FA even look twice at the tube.
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta, United
We quit printing posters on paper and went to fabric. Not much difference in cost, it gets folded up and goes into the carry on. Also less apt to be forgotten.

That said poster tubes were never an issue as a third item.
GadgetFreak and NJexpat like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
We quit printing posters on paper and went to fabric. Not much difference in cost, it gets folded up and goes into the carry on. Also less apt to be forgotten.
And you can turn it into curtains or a clothing item (like a cape!) after the conference. We always talk about doing that with the fabric ones, but haven't actually done it yet.
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Turntable-Evangelism
Airlines are the worst lately! Be careful and good luck. Mail it if you can!
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
All of the medical conferences I have attended in the last 3 years our posters were submitted electronically which made travel so much easier. But I have never been questioned when carrying a poster tube in the past and the ALWAYS fit just fine in the overhead bins-you just have to make sure you don't leave it behind!
Perhaps the organization should consider moving to electronic poster submission?
Good luck and have a nice presentation!
NJexpat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Perhaps the organization should consider moving to electronic poster submission?
for anything but a small conference where you can check all of the posters for how they printed, if I were a conference organizer I wouldn't want to deal with the tears of the inevitable mixups and misprints.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by davie355
In practice, the poster is a free 3rd carry-on.

Technically, it is not compliant as a carry-on at all, but it takes a lot of misfortune to encounter a gate agent who would force you to check it.
Agreed. I've never had an issue with carrying a poster as an extra carry on.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Took 2 travel fishing rods in a tube which was oversize (about 1metre long x 10cm diameter). Prg Hel Hkg Syd (J) AY, and then Syd Mel (Y) QF. One of 2 carry on items. No problem; just asked the cabin crew to place in the wardrobe on boarding as it may have blocked bigger bags from going into an overhead locker. So hopefuly you shouldnt have a problem.

OF

Last edited by OldFruity; Mar 24, 2018 at 5:52 pm Reason: spellin
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Never had an issue. Recently, though I've started printing at the destination (STAPLES has decent rates - upload online, select when you need it, they'll print it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.