FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What kind of entertainment do you take on long haul flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1900001-what-kind-entertainment-do-you-take-long-haul-flights.html)

soliloquy Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm

What kind of entertainment do you take on long haul flights?

We have a 12 hour flight coming up in a few days. Last time we flew to Germany and Israel, the time was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and the entertainment on board the plane was lacking. There were videos but the audio was always iffy.

I found out you can download certains shows/movies from Netflix app (via Windows Store) and watch them from your device without streaming. What other services are available to replace the lack of movie options on board? Thanks!

cmn.jcs Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Books. In particular, I personally go for Tom Clancy-esque novels. Nothing fancy, just something that keeps my attention for a few hours at a time.

soliloquy Mar 21, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm bringing a few novels (just can't bring myself to do ebooks).

QueenOfCoach Mar 21, 2018 8:13 pm

I never rely on airline IFE. I go on 10-hour flights LAX-LHR and back without even turning it on.

I bring:

iPod with audiobooks, current podcasts, my own headphones and my entire music library (no worries about downloading anything while in flight)
iPad with Kindle books and Los Angeles Times already downloaded before the flight
Paperback Killer Sudoku book with Deadly and Extra-Deadly puzzles, mechanical pencil and eraser in a little zipper pouch.
Zipper pouch of chargers, cords, etc.

FlyerWx Mar 21, 2018 8:29 pm

I just love to talk to my seatmate for 12 hours straight. It'll get pretty entertaining after a while :p

But I usually settle for books -- they are the only thing that can keep me interested for hours at a time. Or I just plug my headphones into my phone and take a nap.

ALWAYS bring a phone/tablet/iPod/etc charger. Trying to buy one at the airport will cost you a lot of money.

mvoight Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

I just love listening to the crying babies in first or business class..........Oh, sorry, wrong thread.
I try to catch up on sleep. I haven't had any problem finding something to watch in what is offered in the onboard entertainment, either streaming or AVOD.

jerryss Mar 21, 2018 9:09 pm

You can cache movies with the Netflix and Amazon prime video apps

danbrew Mar 21, 2018 9:16 pm

a. Girlfriend.
b. iPad with the Kindle & Netflix apps.

The iPad is great as I can download a ton of music and I've probably got 50+ movies downloaded from NetFlix. I've hit their "theoretical" download limit and been told I have to delete something before I can download more. lol. Now I do have to open the app when I have connectivity from time to time and refresh the download period. Maybe, as a spare, I'll also bring a Kindle device as well - I've got a fairly compact version.

cmn.jcs Mar 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by danbrew (Post 29552947)
I've hit their "theoretical" download limit and been told I have to delete something before I can download more.

Is the app saying you have a limit on the number of shows you can download, or are you just running out of storage space on the device?

marnold3 Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I always take my Kindle Oasis and load it with books such as The Late Show by Michael Connelly and Dark Matter: A Novel by Blake Crouch. Start reading one of these and before you know it, the flight will be over.

OskiBear Mar 21, 2018 11:41 pm

1. Eyeshade & Ear Plugs
2. Bose noise cancelling headphones
3. iPad with:
4. Books on it
5. Games on it
6. Netflix content downloaded
7. Amazon Prime content downloaded

Even with all the preparation, I frequently don't get past #1 :-)

JY1024 Mar 22, 2018 2:32 am

Moving to the TravelBuzz forum, as this topic is not specific to AA nor the AAdvantage program. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator

bstv69 Mar 22, 2018 8:08 am

Netflix always has some good documentaries, ive found that documentaries are great to pass time for me, so I download those for offline and then i have an extensive Vudu library so I download a ton of my movies and shows and watch those.

KDS777 Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Soliliquy
What kind of entertainment do you take on long haul flights?

Zopiclone.

t325 Mar 22, 2018 9:09 am

I always assume that IFE will be broken, so I load up my iPad with movies. Thankfully it's a lot easier now that Netflix allows offline downloading of all of their original content and some other movies and TV shows. I used to have to plunder the seven seas of the internet to obtain movies and TV shows to put on my iPad.

Even if the IFE works, often the selection is crap. Or it's censored, which just bugs the hell out of me. Blur out nudity? Okay, I get it. But when I'm watching an R rated movie with headphones, it makes no sense to bleep out the f-word or replace it with "freak". It completely ruins it for me. I'm a big boy, I can handle a few swear words.