Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What kind of entertainment do you take on long haul flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of entertainment do you take on long haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by JY1024
Moving to the TravelBuzz forum, as this topic is not specific to AA nor the AAdvantage program. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator
Well, it needs to be said that AAs 767s or old configuration three-class 772s (what OP was likely traveling on their last flight where the entertainment was lacking) are/weren't offering a decent IFE system. This would be a non-issue on most if not all other airlines with transatlantic service.
As AA does not fly 767s on 12-hour routes, and all the (refurbished) 777s as well as the 787s and A350s have a state-of-the-art entertainment system now, relying on the IFE for movies with non-iffy audio is possible even on AA.... I don't take out my laptop for movies anymore on new or refurbished aircraft as I find the IFE offers more than adequate.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I just love to talk to my seatmate for 12 hours straight. It'll get pretty entertaining after a while

Oh! You're that guy.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:28 am

Books on my tablet, games on my laptop. If it's a long flight direct from my home airport (SEA), I might consume a few edibles before clearing security
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by t325
I always assume that IFE will be broken, so I load up my iPad with movies. Thankfully it's a lot easier now that Netflix allows offline downloading of all of their original content and some other movies and TV shows. I used to have to plunder the seven seas of the internet to obtain movies and TV shows to put on my iPad..
Keep in mind that with some Netflix-downloaded shows you can run into regional blocking issues. For example, I recently travelled YVR - IAH - ATL. At home (Vancouver, Canada) I downloaded "Dirk Gently's Detective Agency" onto my Android device. It "airs" on Netflix Canada. Once I arrived in the USA, I couldn't watch the cached downloads any more as my device detected I was no longer in Canada, and blocked the playback. Once I got back to Canada I could play them again.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I never travel without my Kindle. For longhaul I have a tablet with some movies, and usually an audiobook on my phone. But honestly if I can use the IFE I will, it's at eye level.

Check with your public library to see if they participate in Hoopla or Overdrive -free books and audiobooks.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
An iPad loaded with:
  • TV shows from Amazon Prime, Showtime and/or Apple - often prefer to start a one how TV show at various times during a flight rather than a longer movie.
  • A couple movies - usually movies I didn't want to pay $12+ to see in a theater, documentaries or older movies I want see again
  • Podcasts - to "rest my eyes"
  • Lots of music
  • A couple books
  • Some games
Basically variety, so I have a selection of entertainment to get me through long flights.
I will generally check the IFE if one is available for anything I might want to watch too.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Is the app saying you have a limit on the number of shows you can download, or are you just running out of storage space on the device?
The former. Got a 512GB ipad. And with all that stuff on it, I've currently got 443 gigs free. I don't recall what the limit is - it is definitely quantity related more so than size related as I would download multiple seasons of Netflix Originals and then delete a 45 minute movie and I could download another 2+ hour movie.

I think it was either 50 or 100 - don't recall and too lazy to go check. I'd essentially sit around when I had connectivity and peruse through the available download movies and download anything that looked interesting. I rarely watch movies on the iPad - unless I'm sitting on a plane on the way to Asia. Then, yeah, I like my movies more so than American's movies.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Bose noise canceling headphones and my iPad, which has about 20 movies and several hundred books loaded. And magazines.

I never buy magazines except at an airport, just kind of a ritual. I enjoy airports that are clean, modern and have lots of stuff to look at.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:01 am

Rx

prescription benzos
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum
A copy of New Scientist for the start of the journey and any magazine about politics to send me to sleep. IFE never switched on. I've already seen all the films I want to watch ta.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM
Instapaper and Texture on my iPad. I download magazines from Texture for offline reading on the plane, and when I come across lengthy articles on the web that I'd like to read when I have more time, I save them to Instapaper for offline reading. At the lounge before boarding I also save current news articles to Instapaper and make sure I've given the IP app time to download everything before I lose wifi. This is great for when my ADD attention span overtakes me or I've just had enough of my book for awhile.

I've found paying for wifi on a plane is like owning a vacation house. Once you've bought it, you feel obligated to use it. Instead I download news articles, magazines movies/tv from Netflix, Amazon, Mubi, etc., before I leave home. I sometimes even watch the movies/tv, but mostly I just like knowing they're there. I like the idea of watching movies and tv more than I like watching movies and tv.

Between my downloaded Kindle books, podcasts, magazines, Instapaper collection, movies, etc. I'm good until that 3rd (+?) glass of wine has kicked in and it's time to listen to music and fall asleep.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:49 am

I used to bring tons of stuff movies, music, etc. But, somehow I went 180 and now I go minimal. My approach is:

1) I bring my nice in-ear monitors and plug into the IFE system. Even if the movies are crap, I don't really care that much. I have watched plenty of crap movies!

2) I have my kindle with me and at least 2 books that actually want to read.

That's pretty much it. The kindle is pretty reliable, so if the IFE is out I can just read. I'm not sure if this is a 'reduced expectations' approach but my stress level is way down with nothing much to carry and no worries about whether the entertainment will be good!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:30 pm

Dancing boys. Scantily clad dancing boys.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

LOL, time was when there was only one answer to this question, books. They are still the best answer today in my opinion.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:09 am

I love to read ebooks on my tablet (just switched from iPad to Galaxy tab). My wife is still stuck on paper books, but I like the tablet because I can select a larger font to ease the eye strain from several hours of continuous reading. Sometimes I blow it up enough that I can read without my glasses, but that requires lots of page turning. The tablet also allows me to adjust the brightness based on cabin conditions. With a paper book, the reading light may be misaligned, and sometimes it can seem very bright in a dark cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.