Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Were you a victim ?

Class Action filed against, among others, Marriott

https://www.eturbonews.com/180714/co...tt-and-wyndham
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Until the lawsuit is settled, nobody is a victim.

The way this is described, it's appears to be a very stupid attempt for some class-action attornies to get millions of undeserved dollars. They're claiming when someone specifically searches for a given brand, the fact that other brands don't show up is somehow a problem? Personally, I'd be pissed if other brands did show up, because that's not what I searched for.

I hode these lawyers get hit with massive court fees.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Any Plaintiff in a Civil Suit, whether individually or as a member of a “class” (therefore not including DEC actions) is alleging that they were the “victim” of the Defendants wrongful acts and are demanding financial compensation

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Until the lawsuit is settled, nobody is a victim.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This lawsuit will not survive FRCP 12(b)(6) motion.

Assuming all the allegations are true, there is no direct allegation saying that consumers are harmed because of the agreements. Just because the hotels have been engaging the alleged practice, it does not mean consumers are harmed by the agreements.

In that case, the plaintiff lacks standing to bring suit.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
This lawsuit will not survive FRCP 12(b)(6) motion.

Assuming all the allegations are true, there is no direct allegation saying that consumers are harmed because of the agreements. Just because the hotels have been engaging the alleged practice, it does not mean consumers are harmed by the agreements.

In that case, the plaintiff lacks standing to bring suit.
Plaintiffs allege consumers are harmed by higher prices than would exist without this agreement.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
CNN keeps telling me that targeted advertising is bad. Now targeted nonadvertising is also bad.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Any Plaintiff in a Civil Suit, whether individually or as a member of a “class” (therefore not including DEC actions) is alleging that they were the “victim” of the Defendants wrongful acts and are demanding financial compensation
Alleging that they are a victim does not make them a victim.

No more than filing a lawsuit "uncovers" an anti-trust scheme, as claimed in the (poorly written) article.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EricH
CNN keeps telling me that targeted advertising is bad. Now targeted nonadvertising is also bad.
To be clear, it is bad when the information they use to target you was illegally obtained without your knowledge or consent. Not bad in and of itself.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Awesome title!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is it ironic or amusing that while reading this, all I had were targeted ads for hotels that I've recently searched?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Unless they were a victim (a damaged party) they would be bounced out of Court for “lack of standing”

Originally Posted by CPRich
Alleging that they are a victim does not make them a victim.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by getagb
Plaintiffs allege consumers are harmed by higher prices than would exist without this agreement.
To make this simple - I believe the lawyer failed to plead causation between the agreement and the alleged damages.

Specifically, taking the allegations as true, the lawyers need to prove that the said agreements actually impacted the hotel prices, which I don't see the nexus.

Perhaps someone sees that?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
To be clear, it is bad when the information they use to target you was illegally obtained without your knowledge or consent. Not bad in and of itself.
Which has nothing to do with this suit.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srisarin
[left]Unless they were a victim (a damaged party) they would be bounced out of Court for “lack of standing”
Do you believe it's impossible to *file* a lawsuit without standing? Sending a document to a court with a check is all they've done. You really believe that de facto makes them "victims"?

Besides - having standing doesn't mean a decision that damages occurred/a party was a victim. That's what the entire trial is for. Do you believe that having standing and then losing the trial/no damages means you're still a "victim"?

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 21, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:53 pm

Not sure what difference it will make. Assuming the class is certified, the defendant will settle, attorneys will get at least a couple hundred $K, and the "class" will each get a coupon for something like 15 cents off of your next purchase of $375 or more.

Remember the GM pickups lawsuit back in the 90's? I had one of the affected trucks. As a member of the class, I was awarded a $200 discount on the purchase of a new GM pickup (which as I recall was $25k$30K at the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.