Wiki Posts
Search

Use my US Passport to fly domestically after October 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dmo580
Is there a reason to refuse to get Real ID? Are they going to continue non-Real ID cards even after 2020? I'm kinda curious....
California issues special driver's licenses to people who can't prove their identity but those specifically say that they're not intended to be used as ID. Other states may have something similar.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Deleted
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:00 am

Is there a reason to refuse to get Real ID? Are they going to continue non-Real ID cards even after 2020? I'm kinda curious....
To use an example of why one might refuse despite being able to obtain a Real ID compliant license, Arizona "standard" driving licenses issued to people aged 21-60 expire on the holder's 65th birthday. The Real ID compliant license (called a "voluntary travel ID" by ADOT) is only valid for 8 years, costs the same, requires extra documentation, and is still optional. If you have a passport anyway, why hassle with it?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
I would think that many people from American Samoa would already have a passport, but they will now need to use a passport for "domestic" (i.e., to the US mainland) travel in addition to foreign travel. There is a certain hassle factor involved with carrying a passport around when flying domestically.
True, but I would imagine that flights from American Samoa to the mainland (or even Hawaii) represent a small percentage of total trips taken by American Samoans.

I'm not too familiar with it, but wouldn't the overwhelming majority of flights taken be to (independent) Samoa? The question would then be whether Samoa lets Americans in without a passport, the way many North American / Caribbean countries used to do 10-20 years ago.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

I have no intention of getting a REAL ID when mine expires next year, even though there is no extra cost in my state. My GE card can fill in when necessary. But my guess is that the feds will blink again.
On the flip side, for those of us who spend enough time in federal facilities, doing so would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. I'd gladly pay extra for a Real ID compliant license, and I'm thankful I don't have to. It would be a massive PITA to carry my passport everywhere.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The REAL ID Act was passed in 2005 and supposed to take effect in 2008. It has been postponed and delayed too many times to count. States have been granted extension after extension, sometimes without even asking. The feds are now attempting to show they are serious by not accepting licenses from one jurisdiction - American Samoa.

Even if this latest deadline doesn't get delayed, I don't think TSA will be able to enforce the requirements since it will create mass chaos at airports. Maybe they will issue another "extension", or maybe they will deal with it informally.

I have no intention of getting a REAL ID when mine expires next year, even though there is no extra cost in my state. My GE card can fill in when necessary. But my guess is that the feds will blink again.
October 1 2020 is just 5 weeks prior to a Presidential and Congressional election day. There's no way the incumbents will let a bunch of voters come to the polls newly pissed off at the government. Whatever the final cutover date is, look for it to be in an odd-numbered year.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
California issues special driver's licenses to people who can't prove their identity but those specifically say that they're not intended to be used as ID. Other states may have something similar.
Correct but how long will that last? Forever? I wouldn't be surprised if in 2025 they say "Hey it's time now to get over to a Real ID," here's what you need to do to get your paperwork in order. My point is that the current measure is probably so that people don't get all angry that they have only 2 years to sort things out, especially if their license expires after the RealID cutoff date.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
To use an example of why one might refuse despite being able to obtain a Real ID compliant license, Arizona "standard" driving licenses issued to people aged 21-60 expire on the holder's 65th birthday. The Real ID compliant license (called a "voluntary travel ID" by ADOT) is only valid for 8 years, costs the same, requires extra documentation, and is still optional. If you have a passport anyway, why hassle with it?
Wait so if one gets a license at 21 in AZ, it doesn't expire til they're 65? You can use the same card for 44 years? If so that might make sense, but in my experience in CA you get a new card every 5 years or so.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:06 pm

Also just got my RealID in CA, and for whatever reason it expires in 2020 on my birthday, which was when my original DL expires. That's kinda annoying. I thought they'd start a new fresh 5 year clock.

We have to pay up each time to renew right? I guess this state needs more money....
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Correct but how long will that last? Forever? I wouldn't be surprised if in 2025 they say "Hey it's time now to get over to a Real ID," here's what you need to do to get your paperwork in order. My point is that the current measure is probably so that people don't get all angry that they have only 2 years to sort things out, especially if their license expires after the RealID cutoff date.
Yes, I think it will last forever. Some people simply don't have the paperwork needed for a REAL ID, such as the elderly who can no longer locate their birth certificate. California also issues licenses to undocumented immigrants who would not be eligible for REAL ID, and has done so for several years.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Because the big, bad gov'mint will find out stuff about me and oppress the people. (LINK)

( guess I need to insert (LINK) when there's a link as FT seems to the think the blue font/underline convention to show a hyperlink, which has existed since the dawn of the internet, is passé)

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 28, 2018 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:16 am

Wait so if one gets a license at 21 in AZ, it doesn't expire til they're 65? You can use the same card for 44 years? If so that might make sense, but in my experience in CA you get a new card every 5 years or so.
Correct. You're "requested" to get a new photo every 12 years (and pay only for a duplicate card, not a renewal), but there's no penalty for not doing it. It used to be 18-65, but everyone got a new one at 21 anyway because the under-21 ID was vertical so you'd have trouble buying beer even after turning 21.

Another issue with Real ID is that you're required to show proof of address in that state. Not all states' laws restrict driving license issuance to their own residents, and of those that do, not all of them required proof of address. If your living situation is irregular (say, you rent a room informally so you have neither lease nor utility bill) or you're living temporarily overseas, you don't necessarily have enough documentation to prove your address, but that doesn't affect your ability to drive safely.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I think it's not so much a reason to refuse getting a RealID, it's that states are in no hurry to provide them, and states that do provide them are in some cases charging more.
Given that Passport book, passport card, GE, Nexus, and Sentri cards are all RealID compliant, there is much less impetus for any regular flyer to bother with a state RealID.

Also, some states' DMVs are a thing to be avoided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.