SURVEY: The Decline of International First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SURVEY: The Decline of International First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

By decline, I mean in terms of fewer airlines offering first class...either doing away with it or scaling back.

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I've just completed your survey as well. F is still very much alive and well in Asia, Europe and the Middle East; however, extremely lacking in North and South America.
Particularly so in Asia... I'm hoping to see

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 17, 2018 at 12:54 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
There's also the question of preferences as rosenfole stated up thread re the Air France La Premiere offerings. As a couple Mrs L and I always choose the 380 cabin when possible because we both like open cabin feel rather than the more cramped 777 with only 4 seats. So my judgement, when I filled in the Questionnaire, was slanted with that in mind. It seems fine if you wanted subjective answers, but then I suppose that's all you are going to get here the way the questions are framed. Be good to hear what conclusions you come to based on them however.
Gregory Downes likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gregory Downes
By decline, I mean in terms of fewer airlines offering first class...either doing away with it or scaling back.
OTOH, at least on the leading airlines, international business class is now vastly superior to what 1st class cabins offered in the 1990s. Most weren't even lie flat and had 2-2-2 seating. Or even 2-3-2, as I remember from EK on their A310s ca. 2002.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You might find William Stadiem's Book
<u>Jet Set: The People, the Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years</u> Jet Set: The People, the Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years
interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I just ordered that book. Thanks for the link.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll be sure to check it out

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
OTOH, at least on the leading airlines, international business class is now vastly superior to what 1st class cabins offered in the 1990s. Most weren't even lie flat and had 2-2-2 seating. Or even 2-3-2, as I remember from EK on their A310s ca. 2002.
Although I guess you still get the odd carrier like BA who have an awful 2-4-2 config in business

Originally Posted by lloydah
There's also the question of preferences as rosenfole stated up thread re the Air France La Premiere offerings. As a couple Mrs L and I always choose the 380 cabin when possible because we both like open cabin feel rather than the more cramped 777 with only 4 seats. So my judgement, when I filled in the Questionnaire, was slanted with that in mind. It seems fine if you wanted subjective answers, but then I suppose that's all you are going to get here the way the questions are framed. Be good to hear what conclusions you come to based on them however.
You make a very valid point. Perhaps I should have incorporated this somehow. Even when I have previously flown, I always check to see the a/c type before making the booking.

Originally Posted by rosensfole
Indeed that's true and those of us lucky enough to be able to fly F (rarley in my case) experience something more exclusive as a result. I see Air France's La Premiere in the 777 (4 seats) as a truly premium product yet the product in the A380 (9 seats in an open cabin) is pretty ordinary. Prices are similar for both yet the 777 is far better value.

I'm not sure what conclusions you're expecting to get from the questions in your survey by the way. Are you trying to determine if fewer people are flying first by their own choices or are you trying to determine if airlines are making it more difficult to do so?
Based on what I've read, I also found the cabin that is expected to be upscaled most is premium economy... fyi

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 20, 2018 at 5:30 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts - please use multi-quote function
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I guess you still get the odd carrier like BA who have an awful 2-4-2 config in business
Oh, I know BA Club World only too well. Only really nice in a few seats on the 747 upper deck - and often referred to as "economy suites".
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:21 am

Filled it out (and Alumni ).

You may also find this article of use, if you haven't already seen it; https://www.ft.com/content/6fbfe642-...8-7a9fb7d6163e

You should have access by signing up using your University credentials.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Oh, I know BA Club World only too well. Only really nice in a few seats on the 747 upper deck - and often referred to as "economy suites".
Not a great product by any means
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a great product by any means
Wasn't bad whenit was introduced. Lie flat business seats were almost unheard of back then. The genius Lufthansa managers thought that that feature should be reserved for 1st class only for years to come and considered it a stupid move.

But now it's high time to introduce a new version.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sad that Int'l F seems to be on the way out. UA is getting rid of it, DL already has and AA offers it on very few routes. None of the S.American carriers offer it, I don't think any African carriers do either. We're left with mediocre BA and AF, LX and LH (declining # of F routes) in Europe, Qantas and the ME and Asian carriers. Even in Asia it seems odd to me that airlines like CX don't have F to Oz and they've slashed intra-Asia F options like BKK-HKG or HKG-MNL.

Yes a lot of business is 1-2-1 and spacious and comfortable and gets you there rested, but it makes traveling comfortable and functional, not a pleasure like top tier F.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Recondite
Filled it out (and Alumni ).

You may also find this article of use, if you haven't already seen it; https://www.ft.com/content/6fbfe642-...8-7a9fb7d6163e

You should have access by signing up using your University credentials.
Thank you so much! Ah wow-what did you study? btw I'll be sure to check this out
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sad that Int'l F seems to be on the way out. UA is getting rid of it, DL already has and AA offers it on very few routes. None of the S.American carriers offer it, I don't think any African carriers do either. We're left with mediocre BA and AF, LX and LH (declining # of F routes) in Europe, Qantas and the ME and Asian carriers. Even in Asia it seems odd to me that airlines like CX don't have F to Oz and they've slashed intra-Asia F options like BKK-HKG or HKG-MNL.

Yes a lot of business is 1-2-1 and spacious and comfortable and gets you there rested, but it makes traveling comfortable and functional, not a pleasure like top tier F.
DT at least does have first class
Flying TAAG Angola?s New 777 First Class - One Mile at a Time
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

I cant speak as someone who's flown first but in relation to your point and regarding the North American carriers, I have flown business on AC and I gotta say I was really impressed with their most premium product.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Wasn't bad whenit was introduced. Lie flat business seats were almost unheard of back then. The genius Lufthansa managers thought that that feature should be reserved for 1st class only for years to come and considered it a stupid move.

But now it's high time to introduce a new version.
Haha... I did an internship with Lufthansa. It's interesting though because I know they plan to do away with first class on their upcoming 777X fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.