FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Don't stand, don't stand so close to me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1898355-dont-stand-dont-stand-so-close-me.html)

rumbataz Mar 12, 2018 7:06 am

Don't stand, don't stand so close to me!

Over the past few weeks I've noticed an interesting phenomena at airport check-in and boarding queues. In some parts of the world there is no concept of personal space and some people have no issue pressing up right against you in the queue!

Even as I've moved forward to create a gap, the person behind insists on pressing up against me.

It seems to be a particular issue on my current weekly travel as I've not noticed it in other parts of the world. What are your views on how to handle physical contact in queues where it may be the norm for one person but isn't the norm for you.

EuropeanPete Mar 12, 2018 7:21 am

I've found strategic deployment of my cabin baggage is the best way. People can cosy up to my bags all they want, but I can define what I feel to be reasonable personal space. Of course, this doesn't work if people are at it from more than one side, or if you're in a queue of hundreds of people from all directions. In those situations, I've found it best to try to get to a wall/ one side of the queue.

Redhead Mar 12, 2018 7:33 am

Nothing of value to add, but damn now I have an ear worm

Low Roller Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 29514239)
Nothing of value to add, but damn now I have an ear worm

Me too and I HATE that song (and people who stand too close). I also use carryon baggage to protect my space. Creating a wide stance can also help (feet shoulder width apart, hands on hips).

bo1953 Mar 12, 2018 8:24 am

There are several solutions I can think of, if this is phobia for you:

1) Do not frequent that part of the world, if it is that bothersome, if you work for a company, I Am sure your superiors will understand the reluctance;
2) Find an alternative airport to arrive/depart from where that might not be such an issue for you;
3) Create a force field around your personal space so no one can get close;
4) Find out if there is a VIP area for check in so you would not have to deal with the masses; or
5) Find out if you can video conference to avoid such un-pleasantries...

Have safe travels always!

cblaisd Mar 12, 2018 8:35 am

Many of the people the op describes can also be found here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...e-next-me.html

;)

rosensfole Mar 12, 2018 9:27 am

Happened to me and my (ex-) wife in Brussels a few years ago. My mrs almost gave the woman behind a hefty whack but I just got to her in time. The miscreant just tutted "some people!".

MissJ Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am

I think this is just one of those things that can be really uncomfortable, but you have to learn to deal with it because what is normal to us, is abnormal in other cultures. I definitely will also do the luggage trick and put my bag behind me to create a little bit of space but not be awkward myself by now leaving a gap that everyone in that culture will be bothered by. My other half can be a lot more mouthy about these things and I always have to give him a primer before we go to countries with huge culture differences and explain that he has to not be an ugly American and just relax. Believe me, a person I don't know breathing on my arm is really weird, but you do what you can and get on with your trip. It's not worth getting worked up about something where the other person is just following their cultural norms. I book first (on planes and trains) in places were space is not regarded the same and try to make it comfortable for my standards. It's best to try to self-comfort than to be rude.

The only time I really cannot just relax and be okay with it is elevators. I get extremely claustrophobic if there are a lot of people in one. If I'm in a place where I am generally taller than a lot of the locals, I can just look up the whole time and manage, but in some places I've actually had to wait a bit of time until the crowd died down. I've got a lot of weird looks at a few attractions where huge groups got on and I just stand there shaking my head while they motion for me to get on each time the elevator comes up. Just smile and wait and don't worry about it. Much better than passing out (yes, it happened).

HomerJ Mar 12, 2018 10:45 am

Guess what the world isn't one big homogenous place.
When you have large population densities personal space is not valued as much.
Those same people who "got in your space" may be appalled that you have to tip after a meal, or would be astounded at the levels of tax you have to pay, or might find it horrible you eat pigs...etc etc.
There are some gated communities in America that may appeal to you if homogeniety is your thing.

KDS777 Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

I find it mildly amusing that economy class fliers would have a problem with personal space issues in airport lines.

:D

Peoriaman1 Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am

The opposite side of this coin are the people who stand in line as far back as they possibly can behind the person in front of them. I see this a lot in 7-11-type convenience stores. Three people like this in line can stretch the line back halfway to the rear wall of the store if they don't want to step up where they belong. Makes for all kinds of confusion when someone walks in and doesn't immediately realize the line ends back there 100 feet behind a man who looks like he's just daydreaming.

dulciusexasperis Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

The answer is simple, don't travel outside your own comfort zone. ie. your home country. ;)

If you think lineups are bad, what about the places where people do not stand in line but instead form one large mass with everyone pushing and shoving their way to the front! Queues are positevely civilized by comparison when they exist.

You're complaining about this: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...0335888528.jpg

Try no lines at all, like this: https://oliversegovia.files.wordpres...2/img_3869.jpg

Queen B Mar 12, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz (Post 29514147)
Over the past few weeks I've noticed an interesting phenomena at airport check-in and boarding queues. In some parts of the world there is no concept of personal space and some people have no issue pressing up right against you in the queue!

Even as I've moved forward to create a gap, the person behind insists on pressing up against me.

It seems to be a particular issue on my current weekly travel as I've not noticed it in other parts of the world. What are your views on how to handle physical contact in queues where it may be the norm for one person but isn't the norm for you.

Think of it as a compliment
Perhaps you smell irresistible?

Steve Weagant Mar 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I dislike the day dreamers 10 feet back.

I walked into a doubletree to check in. Two women standing 10 feet back talking toeach other. 3 agents and 2 customers checking in. 1 of the customers were leaning on the counter and 2 agents standing there. 1 was just watching. So i walked up, gave my name and was on my way with my cookies and room key in less than two minutes. The two ladies were oblivious.

mapleg Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Flatulence can be used to your advantage if required. Just be aware you may start some kind on one upsmanship contest in some locales.

kdonnel Mar 12, 2018 1:52 pm

I went to the Worlds Fair in Lisbon Portugal in 1998. It was my first introduction into how different nationalities see personal space.

While standing in a forever long snaking line that was roped off on both sides of the line my wife and I tried to keep a gap between us and the people directly in front of us. This really pissed off the guy behind us who was constantly pushing past us to fill in the one person sized gap only to have his family pull him back behind us.

Many of the shows included a preshow area where they packed in people before sending us into the main theater with seating for everyone. In each instance I remember that 25% of the preshow room ended up holding 90% of the people. In the back were the Americans, Germans, British, Canadian, Irish, and some Spanish speaking. Packed insanely tightly together for no particular reason was everyone else.

paolo64 Mar 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Similar issue when waiting at luggage carousels. I always wait behind the yellow line but it’s inevitable that someone will see vacant space in front of me and push into it ( perhaps not understanding the likelihood that those first to the carousel are going to have their priority tagged bags come out first). I have noted that these ‘pushers-in’ are quite content to get into the most intimate of body contact just to ensure their 2 second time advantage. I don’t hesitate to give them a very sharp shove when I see my bag approaching.

AStarr Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29515213)
The answer is simple, don't travel outside your own comfort zone. ie. your home country. ;)

If you think lineups are bad, what about the places where people do not stand in line but instead form one large mass with everyone pushing and shoving their way to the front! Queues are positevely civilized by comparison when they exist.

You're complaining about this:

Try no lines at all, like this:

I have not experienced this. I suspect at some point in my life I will experience this and I am mildly anxious of that day. But rest assured, I would hopefully be locating a large glass of something alcoholic on the other side after treating it like any other crowded bar environment only this time filled with confused sober people rather than a drunken horde. It would certainly be an adventure... and hopefully I would laugh at the experience later. I do prefer a well defined queue.

CarolynUK Mar 12, 2018 3:38 pm

I trail my cabin bag behind me..... push past that limit and you get called

Badenoch Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Someone too close behind you? Turn 90 degrees. Nearest foot lands on person's instep. Apologies. Sooooo clumsy. :D

Gino Troian Mar 12, 2018 4:19 pm

simple: turn around and tell them to give you some space.

greggarious Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Have you tried farting OP?

djjaguar64 Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Try India, boy oh boy, they really try to feel you up. That's just the culture. I was in a bank line and I had to tell the dude behind me to back off.

DeltaFlyer IntrepidClass Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Two words: Liquid A$$
https://liquidass.com/
:D

datexan Mar 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Some times, I do my shoe laces up and sometimes I put my hands on my hips and spin around as though doing some stretches. oops sorry.....

bacchus85 Mar 13, 2018 1:38 am

If that happens my elbow always sticks out..

"Whoops, I didn't even see you!"

rumbataz Mar 13, 2018 2:24 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29515213)

That's a panic attack for me!!!

rumbataz Mar 13, 2018 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Queen B (Post 29515244)
Think of it as a compliment
Perhaps you smell irresistible?

You are indeed correct. I do smell and look irresistible! :)

rumbataz Mar 13, 2018 2:27 am

Originally Posted by datexan (Post 29517296)
Some times, I do my shoe laces up and sometimes I put my hands on my hips and spin around as though doing some stretches. oops sorry.....

Last week I reached down to grab my phone from my bag and inadvertently shoved someone who was pressed up against me in the groin region. They apologised profusely.

ft101 Mar 13, 2018 3:19 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK (Post 29516596)
I trail my cabin bag behind me..... push past that limit and you get called

I think in a few of the places mentioned you would find yourself carrying the handle, with the bag and it's contents being scattered underfoot no matter how much "calling" you were doing.

It would be easier to accept you will encounter different cultures with different values when you travel. They're not right or wrong any more than you or I.

Annalisa12 Mar 13, 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by bo1953 (Post 29514436)
There are several solutions I can think of, if this is phobia for you:

1) Do not frequent that part of the world, if it is that bothersome, if you work for a company, I Am sure your superiors will understand the reluctance;
2)s!

They do that to me in the bank queue and it drives me nuts. Back off and don't stand so close. This is my own country.

EuropeanPete Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 29518326)
I think in a few of the places mentioned you would find yourself carrying the handle, with the bag and it's contents being scattered underfoot no matter how much "calling" you were doing.

Indeed. I certainly wouldn't be supportive of people here who suggest that they would seek to inflict physical violence on people when they're visiting their countries because their social norms are different to what they're used to back home.

Snuggs Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29518330)
They do that to me in the bank queue and it drives me nuts. Back off and don't stand so close. This is my own country.

Oh boy. And it drives me nuts when a line stretches 20 feet for 3 people in line at the ATM....

Zobieee Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am

I used to work in Europe and quickly noticed that some cultures had no tradition of queues/lines, etc. When I asked one of my European colleagues how "waiting your turn" was handled, she said that instinctively, when she enters a place with lines (like a bakery), she notes who was already there when she arrived. Thus, she knows that she goes after all of those people. I guess it's a different skill set that she has, because I'm more in my head in public places and prefer a formal line, because with a line, I only have to keep track of one person in front of me. With the photo shared above, I don't know how she would handle keeping track of all of those people ahead of her...maybe in that case, it's just an "every wo/man for himself" scenario. :-)

HMPS Mar 13, 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 29514947)
I think this is just one of those things that can be really uncomfortable, but you have to learn to deal with it because what is normal to us, is abnormal in other cultures. I definitely will also do the luggage trick and put my bag behind me to create a little bit of space but not be awkward myself by now leaving a gap that everyone in that culture will be bothered by. My other half can be a lot more mouthy about these things and I always have to give him a primer before we go to countries with huge culture differences and explain that he has to not be an ugly American and just relax. Believe me, a person I don't know breathing on my arm is really weird, but you do what you can and get on with your trip. It's not worth getting worked up about something where the other person is just following their cultural norms. I book first (on planes and trains) in places were space is not regarded the same and try to make it comfortable for my standards. It's best to try to self-comfort than to be rude.

The only time I really cannot just relax and be okay with it is elevators. I get extremely claustrophobic if there are a lot of people in one. If I'm in a place where I am generally taller than a lot of the locals, I can just look up the whole time and manage, but in some places I've actually had to wait a bit of time until the crowd died down. I've got a lot of weird looks at a few attractions where huge groups got on and I just stand there shaking my head while they motion for me to get on each time the elevator comes up. Just smile and wait and don't worry about it. Much better than passing out (yes, it happened).

Highlight in red by me....Doesn't the reverse apply also ?

invisible Mar 13, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry to my countrymen, but despite a mild effort to warn that one should NOT be classical case of 'Ugly American' (or Brit, Ozman, whatever - you put your own nation here) seems number of people (AKA keyboard warriors) are OK to go with fistfight and physical violence if things are not there 'their way'.

Well, fine, go ahead, 'teach them a lesson', but let me tell you that 'some other cultures' also have different understanding what is fair to win fight when it breaks out. And above mentioned machos will end up suddenly facing 10 and more opponents while the mob will use anything can be used as a weapon at their disposal, including rebars and broken bottles to make their point thru. And when you hit ground (you are not Chuck Norris or Steven Segal) the mob is not going to stop.

And if for some reason you stay alive and not end up crippled for rest of your life - good luck seeking justice afterwards.

This was your long public service announcement. Have a good flight.

Bear4Asian Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I’m on the introverted side of things, but have found if I don’t adapt to local standards I’m in trouble. e.g. In a subway in Shanghai if you wait for space in the line you are left behind in the dust. So I’m up there emulating the little old ladies, shoving, pushing, and not giving way out of “politeness”. They don’t understand that.

MissJ Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 29519827)
Highlight in red by me....Doesn't the reverse apply also ?

Well yeah, of course. I don't think I said anything to the contrary.

HMPS Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29518330)

That is true but times they are changing...the borders, culture, living , mixing of totally different Nationalities etc spell the end of " my own country". Two more generations and you will see a sea change. Look at the "compositions" of EU countries, UK, USA,, Canada.....For fun but what is coming at us all is:

pgary Mar 13, 2018 2:15 pm

And then there are pickpockets.