FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Don't stand, don't stand so close to me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1898355-dont-stand-dont-stand-so-close-me.html)

Annalisa12 Mar 13, 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by bo1953 (Post 29514436)
There are several solutions I can think of, if this is phobia for you:

1) Do not frequent that part of the world, if it is that bothersome, if you work for a company, I Am sure your superiors will understand the reluctance;
2)s!

They do that to me in the bank queue and it drives me nuts. Back off and don't stand so close. This is my own country.

EuropeanPete Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 29518326)
I think in a few of the places mentioned you would find yourself carrying the handle, with the bag and it's contents being scattered underfoot no matter how much "calling" you were doing.

Indeed. I certainly wouldn't be supportive of people here who suggest that they would seek to inflict physical violence on people when they're visiting their countries because their social norms are different to what they're used to back home.

Snuggs Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29518330)
They do that to me in the bank queue and it drives me nuts. Back off and don't stand so close. This is my own country.

Oh boy. And it drives me nuts when a line stretches 20 feet for 3 people in line at the ATM....

Zobieee Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am

I used to work in Europe and quickly noticed that some cultures had no tradition of queues/lines, etc. When I asked one of my European colleagues how "waiting your turn" was handled, she said that instinctively, when she enters a place with lines (like a bakery), she notes who was already there when she arrived. Thus, she knows that she goes after all of those people. I guess it's a different skill set that she has, because I'm more in my head in public places and prefer a formal line, because with a line, I only have to keep track of one person in front of me. With the photo shared above, I don't know how she would handle keeping track of all of those people ahead of her...maybe in that case, it's just an "every wo/man for himself" scenario. :-)

HMPS Mar 13, 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 29514947)
I think this is just one of those things that can be really uncomfortable, but you have to learn to deal with it because what is normal to us, is abnormal in other cultures. I definitely will also do the luggage trick and put my bag behind me to create a little bit of space but not be awkward myself by now leaving a gap that everyone in that culture will be bothered by. My other half can be a lot more mouthy about these things and I always have to give him a primer before we go to countries with huge culture differences and explain that he has to not be an ugly American and just relax. Believe me, a person I don't know breathing on my arm is really weird, but you do what you can and get on with your trip. It's not worth getting worked up about something where the other person is just following their cultural norms. I book first (on planes and trains) in places were space is not regarded the same and try to make it comfortable for my standards. It's best to try to self-comfort than to be rude.

The only time I really cannot just relax and be okay with it is elevators. I get extremely claustrophobic if there are a lot of people in one. If I'm in a place where I am generally taller than a lot of the locals, I can just look up the whole time and manage, but in some places I've actually had to wait a bit of time until the crowd died down. I've got a lot of weird looks at a few attractions where huge groups got on and I just stand there shaking my head while they motion for me to get on each time the elevator comes up. Just smile and wait and don't worry about it. Much better than passing out (yes, it happened).

Highlight in red by me....Doesn't the reverse apply also ?

invisible Mar 13, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry to my countrymen, but despite a mild effort to warn that one should NOT be classical case of 'Ugly American' (or Brit, Ozman, whatever - you put your own nation here) seems number of people (AKA keyboard warriors) are OK to go with fistfight and physical violence if things are not there 'their way'.

Well, fine, go ahead, 'teach them a lesson', but let me tell you that 'some other cultures' also have different understanding what is fair to win fight when it breaks out. And above mentioned machos will end up suddenly facing 10 and more opponents while the mob will use anything can be used as a weapon at their disposal, including rebars and broken bottles to make their point thru. And when you hit ground (you are not Chuck Norris or Steven Segal) the mob is not going to stop.

And if for some reason you stay alive and not end up crippled for rest of your life - good luck seeking justice afterwards.

This was your long public service announcement. Have a good flight.

Bear4Asian Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I’m on the introverted side of things, but have found if I don’t adapt to local standards I’m in trouble. e.g. In a subway in Shanghai if you wait for space in the line you are left behind in the dust. So I’m up there emulating the little old ladies, shoving, pushing, and not giving way out of “politeness”. They don’t understand that.

MissJ Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 29519827)
Highlight in red by me....Doesn't the reverse apply also ?

Well yeah, of course. I don't think I said anything to the contrary.

HMPS Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 29518330)

That is true but times they are changing...the borders, culture, living , mixing of totally different Nationalities etc spell the end of " my own country". Two more generations and you will see a sea change. Look at the "compositions" of EU countries, UK, USA,, Canada.....For fun but what is coming at us all is:

pgary Mar 13, 2018 2:15 pm

And then there are pickpockets.

lhrsfo Mar 13, 2018 5:05 pm

When I was young, everyone in London queued in a neat and orderly fashion for the bus. Now, people cluster anywhere and there's an unseemly scrum as the bus arrives. And, yes, you need sharp elbows if you want to board first. Cultures do change.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 29514206)
I've found strategic deployment of my cabin baggage is the best way. People can cosy up to my bags all they want, but I can define what I feel to be reasonable personal space.

The strategic deployment of my cabin baggage whilst getting off of a plane had a woman was basically humping my back pack trying to get me to move. That is was I would call an unreasonable encroachment in to my personal space. Not to mention my back pack.

Babaduck Mar 14, 2018 2:03 am

I was in AMS last year, queuing in one of the airport stores to buy a bottle of water - my colleague was in front of me also queuing. Next of all, the gentleman behind me decides to rest his Starbucks cup IN MY HAIR! He was also closer to me than a lot of dates I've been on... European, middle aged and definitely should have known better. I turned and asked him if he'd mind removing the cup and staying just a little bit behind me. Apparently "it has been a very long day and I'm tired". I really didn't give a crap at this stage, having had a 3am alarm call for another glamorous daytrip and suggested that an elbow's length of space would work marvellously...

Colleague nearly fell into the counter laughing and still thinks I was rude to call him out on it. Little does she know...

stut Mar 14, 2018 3:18 am

It's something I find irritating, but you just have to live and let live. The best cure is avoiding places you have to queue...

rumbataz Mar 14, 2018 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Babaduck (Post 29522657)
I was in AMS last year, queuing in one of the airport stores to buy a bottle of water - my colleague was in front of me also queuing. Next of all, the gentleman behind me decides to rest his Starbucks cup IN MY HAIR! He was also closer to me than a lot of dates I've been on... European, middle aged and definitely should have known better.

Not a coffee cup, but I've had a newspaper resting on the back of my head and shoulders several times. The most sickly feeling is when they cough or sneeze into the back of your head!