Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?

Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:28 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by caverunner17
I wish they would have arranged the cabins so that you didnt have people coming and going in the middle of the night and instead have everyone from Munich take the first 3 cabins and then everyone from Salzburg take the next 3
Heh, you'd have loved it back in the 90s. Central and Eastern Europe had opened up, but the long old train routes were still there. However, old habits die hard, and the immigration and customs inspections were harsh. And they happened on the border, in most cases - none of this "give your passports to the sleeper host" or "passport control at the station of origin" or "Schengen agreement" malarkey, back then. I remember several 2am border wake-ups (or, if you were really unlucky, 1:30am as you left one country, then 2am as you entered another, then repeat again as you were only transiting that country for a few hours) to thuds and rattles on doors, shouting men in comedy peaked caps, sniffer dogs and big wooden sticks, being ordered off trains in the border zone (not a station, just a siding) while a carriage was searched... Fun...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.