Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
$1000 bills? Which currency are we talking about?
S$1000 or a typo when it should have been 100?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

It's always amusing when people think everyone else is coming from the same background as themselves. No the $1000 was not a typo, Although to be fair, the Canadian $1000 bill is now being phased out, so he will have to carry more $500 bills. For everyday walking around money, $100s and $50s come in handy. Anything else is, 'keep the change'. After all, how much change can there be from a $50 if you have lunch in a decent restaurant.

If you take 5 friends to dinner in a good downtown Toronto restaurant, how much change do you think you get from $1000 if you have a couple of bottles of decent wine? Answer, not much.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
It's always amusing when people think everyone else is coming from the same background as themselves. No the $1000 was not a typo, Although to be fair, the Canadian $1000 bill is now being phased out, so he will have to carry more $500 bills. For everyday walking around money, $100s and $50s come in handy. Anything else is, 'keep the change'. After all, how much change can there be from a $50 if you have lunch in a decent restaurant.

If you take 5 friends to dinner in a good downtown Toronto restaurant, how much change do you think you get from $1000 if you have a couple of bottles of decent wine? Answer, not much.
Wasn’t the Canadian $1000 note pulled around the year 2000?
Old May 1, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Wasn’t the Canadian $1000 note pulled around the year 2000?
$1000 note withdrawal

Yes, but existing notes are still legal tender. That time is very limited, though.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Miles and More
Zimbabwean Dollar
Old May 1, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

There is still $735 million in $1000 bills in circulation. It takes quite a while from when they stop producing new bills to when all existing bills disappear from circulation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bank...bill-1.4554758
Old May 7, 2018, 8:15 am

VND, it is nice to be a millionaire for a few days.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Actually, it's even nicer to be a millionaire on all days ROCAT.

Like I said, It's always amusing when people think everyone else is coming from the same background as themselves.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Governments and others spying upon targets (i.e., individuals, groups, communities, a country) via electronics financial transactions isn’t post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

Governments and others trying to control people via cutting off a target’s electronic financial transactions is also neither post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

An economic hit or other economic-related problems due to being cut off from electronic financial transactions is also neither post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

Governments and others spying upon targets (i.e., individuals, groups, communities, a country) via loyalty program transactions isn’t post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory; but targets being controlled or otherwise restricted via loyalty program points isn’t as easily and broadly effective as targets being cut off from electronic financial transaction facilities.

But since this is about hotels going cashless, one of the implications of hotels going cashless is that it may become harder to get all the hotel points for at-property spend than used to be the case. Note that for some hotels, hotels going cashless may mean that hotel restaurant meals and some other on-site services previously chargeable to the guest room may no longer be added to the hotel room folio. And yes, I would want those transactions to still as easily result in hotel points for me as they used to do before some of these properties went cash-less.
I must be seriously stupid, because I don't understand how going cashless means, or could mean, the hotel not allowing meals etc to be charged to the room. If anything going cashless would in my view make it more likely the hotel permitts such charging. I realize my failure to understand is on me, but I do, indeed, fail to understand.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:30 pm

Just thought, I'd like to see any of these hotel chains try to go cashless in Japan. Add sushi to the live game being accepted as payment...
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis

#humblebrag
Old May 7, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
Just thought, I'd like to see any of these hotel chains try to go cashless in Japan. Add sushi to the live game being accepted as payment...
If they went cashless you would end up paying with a Suica card, which would need to be topped up with cash.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
I must be seriously stupid, because I don't understand how going cashless means, or could mean, the hotel not allowing meals etc to be charged to the room. If anything going cashless would in my view make it more likely the hotel permitts such charging. I realize my failure to understand is on me, but I do, indeed, fail to understand.
It has meant that (ie must pay at restaurant and no longer being able to charge meals to room) at some hotels, surprised me as it has too.

The move to cashless status for hotels has sometimes resulted in some hotel restaurants no longer accepting billing the restaurant charges to the room; but I haven’t received a confirmed, consistent explanation of why it has resulted in that in some hotels that went cashless. And it’s even more perplexing given it has not resulted in that at all hotels that went cashless (even if looking at one hotel brand with multiple properties in a single market). One hotel restaurant had staff that even told me this was an “experiment”, but some prior explanations from the same hotel restaurant indicated, for example, IT system/communication-related limitations.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
$500, $1000, $5000 and $10000 US currency notes are legal tender. However, if you plan to use them to pay your hotel bill, could you please give me a note, I'd be happy to exchange them to crisp, new $100 notes and take you (very old) currency notes away.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ROCAT
If they went cashless you would end up paying with a Suica card, which would need to be topped up with cash.
Incorrect. You can have electronic Suica card topped up with a credit card using Apple Pay. And if you have a one particular credit card issued by Citibank Singapore, when using Apple Pay until end of July this year you will earn 8 miles per SGD $1 spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.