Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Parents in F, kids in back?

Parents in F, kids in back?

Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

At those ages, especially if you think they're pretty well behaved and will look after each other, I don't see a problem with it.

No meal, but not a big deal IMO. I know they're teenagers, but they can buy food, bring their own, etc. I'm sure they'll just be glued to an iPad or something the whole time. If you can stick them altogether in one row of 3, there's not much that can happen to them. I wouldn't even feel the need to check on them more than once or twice. But yes, let the FAs know and maybe offer them a box of chocolates at the start of the flight.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you anticipate that the kids will want to buy food during the flight, check whether the airline accepts cash or is credit card only. You might need to plan ahead to get either an additional authorized user card for the oldest one or arrange prepaid cards for them to use.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:40 pm

I don't see any problem with this either. Although it's fairly rare to see parents up front and kids in back these days, I still see it sometimes and I never thought it was that weird. Someone upthread likened it to kids staying in Days Inn and parents at Four Seasons. That would make me question the parents, but that is not analogous to the plane situation at all.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

We would often fly to Hawaii with kids in back. At the hotel, they got the mountain view room and we got the ocean view room (same floor).
Never a problem.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:57 pm

My kids are much younger but I can't imagine ever wanting to be so far that I can't pull out the "Dad stare" on them the second they get out of line.
princeville likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:17 am

Each to their own of course, but I would never dream of dumping the kids in Y while lording it up in the front. When my kids were little, we did things together AS A FAMILY. It's unfair on them and to the passengers around them - irrespective of how well behaved they are.

If cost is the issue, then all the family should travel down the back - or don't have kids.
Fraser and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Lording it up in the front!? What airline is this?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: aeroplan
If your kids are old enough to stay home alone and/or start babysitting other people's kids, I'm not sure what the issue is. If it is allowed by the airline do what you feel is best. There are 3 of them after all. If it was a kid by themselves (even at 17), I would sit with them for company more than anything.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:06 am

My son flies up front with me. Then again it is just him and me flying so finding two J/F award or cheap paid seats is not too difficult. I try to use it as a lesson in working harder and smarter.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by passy777
Each to their own of course, but I would never dream of dumping the kids in Y while lording it up in the front. When my kids were little, we did things together AS A FAMILY. It's unfair on them and to the passengers around them - irrespective of how well behaved they are.
What exactly is unfair about the adults celebrating their anniversary by treating themselves to a bit of luxury while treating their kids to a trip to Hawaii?

And how on earth could it be unfair to the passengers around them? It's not 3 screaming, unattended toddlers, it's three teens/near teen who presumably know how to behave in public.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by passy777

If cost is the issue, then all the family should travel down the back - or don't have kids.
Could you clarify this point? I don't understand how it's unfair to other passengers to have three presumably well-behaved young men eating plane food and watching movies on tablets in an economy cabin with them? The kids will I'm sure be seated together and most likely in a block of 3. They will have no influence or effect on any of the other passengers.

I just don't see the problem here. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. Kids get old safe used cars. Parents get whatever car they want and can afford. Parents go out to nice dinners while kids get babysat at home. Parents get to buy whatever they want from Amazon. Kids have to ask permission. Kids aren't adults. This arrangement seems completely reasonable to me. I flew alone as a young and then older teenager lots of times and I was just fine in coach.

(All assumes that the kids are well behaved and can be trusted to do this - which is something that only the parents can know and I trust the OPs judgement on this.)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by tdfxman
I am sure this is posted somewhere but I was wondering....

It is our 20th anniversary coming up and I think we are going to Maui, ORD-OGG. We might have to take the kids. They will be 17, 14, and 12 when we go. They are pretty mature boys.

Should I use miles and have the Mrs and I up front, row 2 is calling, and leave the kids in back? Is that even allowed? I don't fly enough anymore to know the rules or etiquette. I of course would love it but I don't know if it is right. This forum seems like the perfect place to ask. They travel well and have flown many times before, including ORD-DFW-HNL back in 2012 when they were a lot younger. For that trip the Mrs was up front with one son, I stayed in the back with the other 2.

Anyway, just wondering.
Happy Anniversary(in advance)

I wanted to put in my 2 cents. When I was 18 I used my American miles to upgrade to First Class on a trip with my Mother. I offered my Mother my seat bu she declined. I did other trips in First Class using mileage upgrades. I was the one who taught my Parents about using Frequent Flier miles not the other away around. I must be one of the very few out there who at that age knew how to use my miles for upgrades!

In your situation its your miles your money so by all means do what you want as you say your kids are mature. I think you may want to run it by the airline just to be sure it meets the rules as you say your 17 year old will be with the other kids!

Perhaps you can find a way to get your kids in First Class with you but if not you can be certain they will be fine eating those Buy On Board meals( be sure they have a Credit Card to pay for it) and at least get them the extra legroom seats if possible in the Premium Economy cabin, BTW do your kids know the difference between First Class and Economy Class?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by buckybadger
Could you clarify this point? I don't understand how it's unfair to other passengers to have three presumably well-behaved young men eating plane food and watching movies on tablets in an economy cabin with them? The kids will I'm sure be seated together and most likely in a block of 3. They will have no influence or effect on any of the other passengers.
Oh I've seen adults behave worse than kids on many occasions, so I totally agree. A couple of teenagers aren't going to do any harm if they have IFE and soft drinks.

At these ages (especially 14 and 17) parents likely let their kids go to school by themselves; why wouldn't they be able to sit and watch movies for a couple of hours by themselves, in a controlled environment? If there's something wrong an FA will know and grab the parents if necessary.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
Personally, I think it's a bit tacky.

I grew up in Europe and I never heard of parents flying in the front cabin with the kids in the back but I've lived in the US since 2005 and it seems much more acceptable here, based both on personal experiences and reading online. I flew in all the cabins as a kid (family of 4), most were in J but the odd F and the occasional Y too. If we couldn't all get in F we didn't fly F.

Are you going to live it up at the Four Seasons but put your kids in the Comfort Inn too? Send them to Wendy's whilst you and the wife try to score as many Michelin Stars as you can?
I love your reply. But perhaps the Parents do not have enough miles for all of them to fly in First Class. I use my miles to upgrade to First Class and my Father does not mind it so as a consolation I booked him in Delta Comfort+ with alcoholic beverages included and upgraded snacks over the regular Y. I am not a mean son as I asked him if he wants my seat and he said"no" so the least I could do was upgrade him to Comfort+
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by codex57
At those ages, especially if you think they're pretty well behaved and will look after each other, I don't see a problem with it.

No meal, but not a big deal IMO. I know they're teenagers, but they can buy food, bring their own, etc. I'm sure they'll just be glued to an iPad or something the whole time. If you can stick them altogether in one row of 3, there's not much that can happen to them. I wouldn't even feel the need to check on them more than once or twice. But yes, let the FAs know and maybe offer them a box of chocolates at the start of the flight.
Or get the First Class Flight Attendant to surprise them with the Fruit and Cheese Platter from First Class with their Cokes served in a glass(:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.