Parents in F, kids in back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parents in F, kids in back?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Or get the First Class Flight Attendant to surprise them with the Fruit and Cheese Platter from First Class with their Cokes served in a glass(:
Oh man, if I were a kid, I woulda loved that.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Or get the First Class Flight Attendant to surprise them with the Fruit and Cheese Platter from First Class with their Cokes served in a glass(:
As an adult I don't want a cheese plater. Give us and the kids cake!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
When I’ve been upgraded to F, I’ve sent back my ice cream sundae to my kid in Y. She liked it.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:51 am

We used to do a lot of youth travel hockey. When it was just ours we would upgrade him with us. The first time we took two other teen boys (they paid and parents weren't about to spend for J) we had ours sit in Y with them. He was very funny - said "we have to sit with random people?". Anyway, I went back to check on them and was complimented on how well behaved they were. I used to send ours alone on flights to visit relatives after that and he was just fine with it.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by tdfxman
I am sure this is posted somewhere but I was wondering....

It is our 20th anniversary coming up and I think we are going to Maui, ORD-OGG. We might have to take the kids. They will be 17, 14, and 12 when we go. They are pretty mature boys.

Should I use miles and have the Mrs and I up front, row 2 is calling, and leave the kids in back? Is that even allowed? I don't fly enough anymore to know the rules or etiquette. I of course would love it but I don't know if it is right. This forum seems like the perfect place to ask. They travel well and have flown many times before, including ORD-DFW-HNL back in 2012 when they were a lot younger. For that trip the Mrs was up front with one son, I stayed in the back with the other 2.

Anyway, just wondering.
You know your children better than I do, but it might create some resentment or ill feelings.

I'd just put everyone in Premium Economy.

In my family (parents plus me and other adult children), we children do not allow our parents to travel in coach, but in turn they probably wouldn't allow us to be in coach if we were on the same flight; everyone wants the best for everyone else, so I don't know how this would turn out in my family, except that we'd end up in the same class of travel.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My kids are only 9 and 12, but they already know the day is coming that when they are older, they will fly in E+ on my dime, while my wife and I fly up front. Even at 9 and 12, they would be fine in back, but I'll wait a few years before I start this. I see nothing wrong with what the OP is suggesting, and given the ages and experience I wouldn't think twice about it. I didn't realize how bad I had spoiled my kids until my youngest realized the difference between domestic first and international business on UA. I grew up in a middle seat near the back of the airplane, while my parents on the same flight weren't in first, but always closer to the front. Your kids will be fine.

As an alternative, I drive a Range Rover, but that doesn't mean my kids will have one as their first car. At best they should feel grateful if I buy them a Subaru Outback, used, not new.
Boraxo and CDTraveler like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
The worst that can happen is one of the kids misbehaves. In that case, you swap out the best behaving child with the worst behaving adult for the remainder of the flight.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I'm sure Gordon Ramsey said that on family holidays him and his wife turn left and the kids turn right. He said they can have F when they've earned it for themselves.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The parents are paying for the trip and taking the kids on an anniversary trip. Lots of people would leave the kids at home for an anniversary. I think they have some leeway here about what seats the kids get. I think the hotel comparison is not fair. It's not like the parents are flying first and making the kids take a Greyhound bus. It would be more accurate to say the parents get the honeymoon suite (one king bed) and the kids get the standard room or a sleeper sofa.

My children would never consider themselves second class citizens in the family, but, like a comedian once said, it's OUR money, not theirs. WE have money, they, sadly, do not. What ever I decide to spend it on, whether for me or them, is my choice. Both of our kids are now in college, and we have just booked/paid for another dream type vacation, this one to Marrakesh for the 4 of us. All in coach. But if seats in front had been available, make no mistake, I'd have grabbed them and not had any regrets about it.

That said, on family trips, so far, we've all been in coach. I simply don't think that traveling in Business class has the same impact on them as it does for me. They are young, thin, healthy and flexible. They don't get stiff like I do. They haven't seen as many places as we have. They like pizza as much as a fine dining, or more. They have mastery of their electronic devices, and I do not. Some things need to be earned, and I think luxury travel is one of them. Just to travel the world at a youthful age is an amazing thing in itself. I don't want our children to feel a sense of entitlement. I want them to develop a sense of values and treasure the things that are important to them.

We gave our son a bicycle and a trip to Dublin with some pocket cash for his HS graduation present. He provided the energy and the backpack and bicycled to Zurich. It took him about 15 weeks. He left a boy, and came back a man. I think this made far more of an impression than nice hotels and fancy plane seats.

When I travel solo or with my girlfriends, we aim for the front of the plane. Mr. San Diego can sleep anywhere, at any time, and has always been more inclined to rough it than I do, so I frequently travel in coach when we go together anywhere. I might alter my plans to get seats in the front, but he will not, and we wouldn't wait for 4 seats and alter our dates for it. In short, I love a nice plane seat, but it's the destination that matters most to us. And the time spent together exploring and having adventures.
obscure2k, Boraxo and CDTraveler like this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Mar 6, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: additional thoughts
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
My god the kids are getting a trip to Hawaii. Put them underneath with the pets and they should still be happy!

Kids need to learn that life just simply doesn't start in J. You earn J. Put them in the back and enjoy your champagne up front!
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Happy Anniversary(in advance)

I wanted to put in my 2 cents. When I was 18 I used my American miles to upgrade to First Class on a trip with my Mother. I offered my Mother my seat bu she declined. I did other trips in First Class using mileage upgrades. I was the one who taught my Parents about using Frequent Flier miles not the other away around. I must be one of the very few out there who at that age knew how to use my miles for upgrades!

In your situation its your miles your money so by all means do what you want as you say your kids are mature. I think you may want to run it by the airline just to be sure it meets the rules as you say your 17 year old will be with the other kids!

Perhaps you can find a way to get your kids in First Class with you but if not you can be certain they will be fine eating those Buy On Board meals( be sure they have a Credit Card to pay for it) and at least get them the extra legroom seats if possible in the Premium Economy cabin, BTW do your kids know the difference between First Class and Economy Class?
Thanks (in advance).

yes they know the difference. Brother is a pilot for UA, 737, and sister worked for Boeing. We, and they, are into planes. One son flew first ORD_DFW, another flew first DFW-HNL in 2012. They totally get the difference. I was thinking of 5 E+ seats.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's how I grew up. My parents flew First or Business, my siblings and I sat in coach. We turned out fine and I think there's nothing wrong with it.

Last month my dad and I were flying to New York and I was #1 on the upgrade list and him #2 (I had status, he was a companion). I was hoping to hit him with some sweet revenge but no seats opened up.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thinking about doing this for a paid UA flight from SFO-CUN because I'm only seeing 2 F seats in the super-cheap bucket. My kids (15 & 12) are both experienced travelers so I'm not too concerned if they are a couple of rows behind us in E+

My primary concern is having a split rez with IRROPS, or more likely that UA's defective IT will boot them from E+ to E- as the kids don't have status. Also don't want any trouble with UM status (of course we will all checkin at the same time).

I suppose one way to solve this problem would be to put one adult on each reservation and then switch with one of the kids. But they will throw a fit (yes this happened last time when we only got 2/4 upgrades LOL)
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BOSOGG

I see no problem with this split seating at these ages. Ask your boys’ opinions. They would likely prefer to lose mom & dad for the duration of the flight.
17 year old will say hell yeah!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by roberino
I'm sure Gordon Ramsey said that on family holidays him and his wife turn left and the kids turn right. He said they can have F when they've earned it for themselves.
but he didn't mind paying the tuition to send them to private school
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.