Wiki Posts
Search

Parents in F, kids in back?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by will2288
I'm pretty sure this is allowed by the airlines, but I won't claim to be sure of every airline's policy. ....
The policy is airline specific, but most require 1 parent to sit in the same cabin with kids below a certain age, generally 12. In some countries this is governed by law (but not yet in USA). The flig side is requirement to provide adjacent seating for kids traveling with adults, again varies by airline and route. It should be simpler, but yoiu can't please everyone.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Double check with the airline's policies that the 12 year old doesn't need someone over 18 with them.

Beyond that, I'm with the majority: It should be fine.
windscar likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
What you may want to consider is booking all of you on a mixed cabin itinerary with points in which all of you fly out in J and then back in Y. Even if you don't have enough miles right now for that, you can purchase on AA right now which is running a promo.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser

Are you going to live it up at the Four Seasons but put your kids in the Comfort Inn too? Send them to Wendy's whilst you and the wife try to score as many Michelin Stars as you can?
Sorry but this analogy doesn't make any sense. However yes, i will take a larger bedroom and put them in a smaller one in a hotel and order from adult menu for myself and from kids' one for them. I suspect most would do the same.

Furthermore having flown extensively with now 7 year olds i can tell you that they will buckle up put on the headphones and completely disconnect with ipad or ife for the duration of the flight in any class of service. Any interruption from my end they see as an annoyance.
CDTraveler, windscar and Lost like this.

Last edited by azepine00; Feb 27, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Putting aside all of the social judgments from people who do not know, OP, the kids, or their circumstances, the answer is that OP has stated that this is a US domestic trip.

What OP proposes is "allowed", e.g., it is not prohibited. The 17 YOA can be the responsible person for the 12 YOA and that is the end of it. This ticketing arrangement is perfectly fine.
trooper and SFO777 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tdfxman
I am sure this is posted somewhere but I was wondering....

It is our 20th anniversary coming up and I think we are going to Maui, ORD-OGG. We might have to take the kids. They will be 17, 14, and 12 when we go. They are pretty mature boys.

Should I use miles and have the Mrs and I up front, row 2 is calling, and leave the kids in back? Is that even allowed? I don't fly enough anymore to know the rules or etiquette. I of course would love it but I don't know if it is right. This forum seems like the perfect place to ask. They travel well and have flown many times before, including ORD-DFW-HNL back in 2012 when they were a lot younger. For that trip the Mrs was up front with one son, I stayed in the back with the other 2.

Anyway, just wondering.
It's your anniversary. I say of course you and your wife have the right to treat yourselves to F while the kids fly coach. My parents made it clear to us kids that not everything adults did was a privilege that extended to kids. You're taking them to Maui, remind them to be grateful for the trip to Hawaii, and don't tolerate any whining about flying coach. (yes, I am a parent of a teenager, and we operate on a "privileges are earned" policy at my house). As for if they are old enough to sit without a parent, if kids of 17, 14, and 12 can't behave themselves for the duration of a flight, that's whole 'nother issue.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Seems fine to me, only because of the ages. If you had said they were 8 & 11, I would've said no way. But as long as you put the 17 y/o in charge then sure.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The 12 year old I could see being a little young but you know them best! Remember that the rules are that they aren't supposed to be wandering between the classes of service.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Are you going to live it up at the Four Seasons but put your kids in the Comfort Inn too? Send them to Wendy's whilst you and the wife try to score as many Michelin Stars as you can?
I would say that it's a different, more like parents who get a suite and put the kids in a nearby standard room. I also don't see the issue with the kids eating fast food while the parents are fine-dining.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I know this is not the popular opinion, but this now seems to be a family vacation with an added celebration of the anniversary. I'd travel together in the same class and then do something special for the anniversary if you feel the need to do something separate.

But for those people saying that the 'kids' will be fine ordering off the kiddie menu and fine in coach - remember these are all boys, the oldest of whom is 17. That's nearly an adult in both size and appetite. The other two sons could already have a bit of an appetite as well.

Long story short - kids grow up fast these days. Make it a family excursion since you're all together.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:45 pm

As others said, shouldn't be an issue if well behaved.The discussion about keeping the family together vs providing some independence is all up to the family itself and the values you believe in.

Personally i'm just waiting for the thread about "Should kids be allowed to visit their parents in F"
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:43 am

Well, the McCallister Family tried that too and we all know how that played out...
Lost likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The kids are old enough to travel by themselves. Just don't go back and forth between cabins (in either direction) and loiter. That annoys everyone.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know people who do this and I don't see any problem with it
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
OP, I think your arrangement is just fine. The children are both old enough, and fortunate enough that their parents are taking them to Hawaii on what is their anniversary trip. Which would have been far cheaper to leave them at home with grandparents or other relatives.

those who suggest what you are doing is wrong, or tacky- are crazy..
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I'm young, and don't have kids, but if I were in your position I would put the kids in Y and fly upfront with the Mrs.

Kids are small and are mostly comfortable in an economy seat, and if there's in-seat entertainment, they'll be distracted for hours. Additionally, kid cannot enjoy premium alcohol nor finer foods (especially if flying F internationally.)
The issue is IMO less a question of whether kids can savour the perks of J/F but rather whether it is safe/considerate to leave them alone in the back. The answer to that IMO depends on how well behaved the kids are. Furthermore, even if the kids are extremely well behaved, it will nonetheless require you to check in on them.

PS: Avoid booking one parent in J/F and one with the kids in Y and constantly swapping the J seat. That's really tacky and is likely to annoy fellow passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.