Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Moving quickly, HR is staying late this evening (East Coast time) to get the official paperwork to me. Incredibly nice people that I have dealt with, I cannot wait to get started!
Congratulations, COSPILOT! It's always so exciting when a new and compelling job offer comes together. I am happy for you and also gently envious.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Congratulations, COSPILOT! It's always so exciting when a new and compelling job offer comes together. I am happy for you and also gently envious.
I had nothing whatsoever to contribute to the advice and suggestions but I've enjoyed following the thread and wish you well, COSPILOT!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
+1 Also, my thoughts.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Good luck. You sound like the type of person I would want to be working with or for me.
Is this as good as a Trump endorsement?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like you accepted before seeing all the details in the final offer?
Havent accepted yet.

The base pay is lower than I thought I would be offered. Commission structure is fine, and the overall benefits package is very good. It's a sales position, so I think it's appropriate to see if there is negotiation room. Previous companies have almost always exceeded what I was expecting. I understood that this particular manufacturer pays a little less, but has incredibly loyal employees with little to no turnover. That stability is very important for me, but a 20% pay cut is bothering me a bit.

Specific pay was discussed, but instead I asked what comparable employee were making, to which I responded I was near the high end of that, actually just above. This offer is in the middle. A good friend of mine thinks I should see if there is room to negotiate, as the worst they can is no. That was my plan, but I'm open to what you guys say before I decide.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
It's a sales position, so I think it's appropriate to see if there is negotiation room ... A good friend of mine thinks I should see if there is room to negotiate, as the worst they can is no. That was my plan, but I'm open to what you guys say before I decide.
Are you in sales or order taking - it is sales, right?! So they will be expecting you to negotiate.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Are you in sales or order taking - it is sales, right?! So they will be expecting you to negotiate.
Pure sales, all I've done for the last 16 years.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Apologies if I missed this question - many companies prohibit an employee from keeping miles earned from company paid tickets. Is that important to you?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:06 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Apologies if I missed this question - many companies prohibit an employee from keeping miles earned from company paid tickets. Is that important to you?
What an awful policy
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by S.R
What an awful policy
There will always be that one employee who intentionally buys a more expensive ticket in order to get more miles and ruins it for everyone else.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That would be a huge red flag for me. I've never personally experienced that.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I've only seen such a policy related to government positions and in specific countries with local tax impact and therefore a local norm practice. Unless you live in a country with such laws, where do you find these "many companies"?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason there are so many crossed wires in this thread is that a lot depends on the company's culture, the industry, and the OP's level.

While it is counter-productive to delve into the specifics of policies early on, for a job for someone who is relatively senior and must travel a lot, it is important to know the basic parameters. More important when long-haul travel is involved.

Work life matters. For people who travel constantly, the Red Roof Inn vs. Four Seasons matters. On the other hand, for someone making above minimum wage to be concerned about bottled water reimbursement (other than perhaps on travel to regions lacking the potable sort) does seem foolish.

It also says something about an employer. Those that are unreasonable penny pinchers on travel will nickel and dime you on something else as well.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The reason there are so many crossed wires in this thread is that a lot depends on the company's culture, the industry, and the OP's level.

While it is counter-productive to delve into the specifics of policies early on, for a job for someone who is relatively senior and must travel a lot, it is important to know the basic parameters. More important when long-haul travel is involved.

Work life matters. For people who travel constantly, the Red Roof Inn vs. Four Seasons matters. On the other hand, for someone making above minimum wage to be concerned about bottled water reimbursement (other than perhaps on travel to regions lacking the potable sort) does seem foolish.

It also says something about an employer. Those that are unreasonable penny pinchers on travel will nickel and dime you on something else as well.
Mixed feelings about this.

I was a C-level person at a small company before we got acquired. When my people traveled, I made it clear that all expenses feom door to door were covered. Why? It's the right thing to do. We're asking people to spend time away from families and homes.

That includes the $1 bottle of water and the $1 toll. Small price for some easy goodwill.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN

Mixed feelings about this.

I was a C-level person at a small company before we got acquired. When my people traveled, I made it clear that all expenses feom door to door were covered. Why? It's the right thing to do. We're asking people to spend time away from families and homes.

That includes the $1 bottle of water and the $1 toll. Small price for some easy goodwill.
Agree completely. Good companies do this, bad companies do the opposite, trying to save a buck and then wonder why they have so much turnover...

The other extreme is the boss that wants to attend a nice dinner with the sales guy's clients (even insists on the location) orders two bottles of expensive wine and has the sales guy use his corporate card instead of the boss. $2,000 dinner expense got rejected by the company, and the boss didn't offer to cover the cost, instead the sales guy ended up eating it (pun intended). My personal policy is he who picks the expensive wine and restaurant gets to use their card, not mine. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.