Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Agree completely. Good companies do this, bad companies do the opposite, trying to save a buck and then wonder why they have so much turnover...

The other extreme is the boss that wants to attend a nice dinner with the sales guy's clients (even insists on the location) orders two bottles of expensive wine and has the sales guy use his corporate card instead of the boss. $2,000 dinner expense got rejected by the company, and the boss didn't offer to cover the cost, instead the sales guy ended up eating it (pun intended). My personal policy is he who picks the expensive wine and restaurant gets to use their card, not mine. Period.
that’s why many companies have a policy that the most senior person attending pays.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite

You tried to expense a bottle of water in the mid-afternoon? Why would anyone reimburse that?
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My company would reimburse this without a second thought. I'd approve this without a second thought.

Better question - why is this an unreasonable expense on a business trip?
I would personally not expense a random bottle of water, but I have to admit I'd be pretty annoyed by a travel policy that dictated what time of day I ate. If he'd ordered a legitimate lunch at 3PM because he was in meetings until then, would the company have rejected it?

I try to avoid frivolous tiny expenses on an expense report. The "but they add up" argument doesn't really apply in my case...I literally have one or two of these per trip. A coke out of a coke machine, a random midday coffee, etc. - just seems like a bad look to expense these, even though I'm sure I could without any problems.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

To me, it's a matter of mutual respect between the company and employee. I am lucky enough to work for a company and leaders who respect me enough to trust my judgement (within very reasonable boundaries) on what to expense. If I want to expense a bottle of water, fine, no problem. The company will reimburse without a word. I approve those kinds of expenses for people on my team regularly. Some of them earn much less than I do, others are just very "meticulous" about tracking expenses. Fine, that's their right and I don't mind it one bit. But on the flip side, I also respect the company and tend to not nickel and dime them for small expenses, especially ones that I'd have incurred at home anyway. I figure it's not worth my time or my boss's time to keep track of and approve those little things. They pay me enough that covering a few bucks of incidentals isn't going to hurt me.

I appreciate working for a company that treats us like adults, and accepts that different people have different stances on this stuff. The cost to the company of allowing these kinds of expenses is not remotely material as long as people don't abuse it, and my experience is that people are less likely to abuse it or look for loopholes if you treat them with respect in the first place. Of course there is always one person who will do something to jeopardize it for everyone else, but I prefer to handle those on a one-off basis than punish the entire team with draconian policies.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
A quick follow up/end to this. I officially accepted the position. I leave Sunday and officially start Monday morning. Already spent time on the phone with colleagues this morning, with incredible support and excitement with me joining the team. The more I speak with people in the company, the more I realize I made a good choice.
Cardboard55, OTD and DragonSoul like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
So....are they sending a G-V to come and pick you up or are you going to enjoy Spirit Airlines Buzzballz on Sunday night?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Fraser
So....are they sending a G-V to come and pick you up or are you going to enjoy Spirit Airlines Buzzballz on Sunday night?
I wish! Spirit and Frontier are blacklisted from the company, will be SW, UA, or DL. On a different note, a very good friend of mine travels via his companies G500 for some domestic travel. Lucky guy
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I wish! Spirit and Frontier are blacklisted from the company, will be SW, UA, or DL. On a different note, a very good friend of mine travels via his companies G500 for some domestic travel. Lucky guy
Indeed, I used to work in the banking sector too At my (former) employer there was a fleet of aircraft right up to G-V. If a certain number of you were making the same trip then you could request use of that aircraft. The larger the aircraft the higher up the person signing off on the trip needed to be.

My first trip was from VA to St Louis and I was initially booked on a non-stop AA flight. When the group grew we were eligible for one of the company aircraft so I cancelled the AA flight and we left within 5mins of the AA aircraft and landed right after it I was rather spoiled at the age of 23 with my first business trip being flown privately and staying at the Four Seasons with a per day diem so high I couldn't possible touch it regardless of how reckless I was!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
Indeed, I used to work in the banking sector too At my (former) employer there was a fleet of aircraft right up to G-V. If a certain number of you were making the same trip then you could request use of that aircraft. The larger the aircraft the higher up the person signing off on the trip needed to be.

My first trip was from VA to St Louis and I was initially booked on a non-stop AA flight. When the group grew we were eligible for one of the company aircraft so I cancelled the AA flight and we left within 5mins of the AA aircraft and landed right after it I was rather spoiled at the age of 23 with my first business trip being flown privately and staying at the Four Seasons with a per day diem so high I couldn't possible touch it regardless of how reckless I was!
Don't think I will ever have the privilege of flying in a private jet. The days of traveling in my 182 are likely the best I will ever have.

At best I will get back to 1K, of which I'm fine with.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Mar 7, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.