Wiki Posts
Search

"Flights" that aren't actually on aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yup, but you cannot ride the bus if you do not ride the train.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by WorldLux
LH has IIRC 'flights' operated by buses.
The Strasbourg-Frankfurt bus. Used to be a lot more useful before there were high-speed cross-border trains!

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Lufthansa-Express-Bus

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Years ago when I used to ski in Switzerland, Swissair allowed you to check your baggage right through to your hotel in whichever resort you were going to, and would pick up your suitcases from your hotel on the return, delivering them at Heathrow baggage claim. I don’t know whether they sold the train ticket.
Yup, Swiss and SBB still have an impressive network that still do that:

https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-servic...omparison.html

Mind you, Japan:

Traveling to Japan | YAMATO TRANSPORT GLOBAL
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
LH has codeshare options with Deutsche Bahn between FRA and Stuttgart (and I think Cologne and Düsseldorf).

UA also connects at EWR to Amtrak trains to Philadelphia.

There is also a bus service between Dubai city centre and AUH, which I think can be booked as an EY codeshare.

When searching Kayak for flights to/from BHX, results sometimes include a National Express bus sector between BHX and LHR.
In the 1980s, LH operated special fancy trains about five times a day in each direction between FRA, Bonn, Koln, and DUS. It was about a $20 add on to a TWA TATL ticket. For departures, your bags were checked on the train, but you needed to deliver them to big trolleys on the platform of the FRA train station. You also supposedly checked in on the train, but I don't remember whether you also needed to go to the counter at FRA. (Obviously this was way back in history before OLCI.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum; TK Elite+; IHG Spire Elite
KLM are still running "flights" to Antwerp from Amsterdam..............on the train. A specific train, not any one of the many that go that way......
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by BendyTrendy
KLM are still running "flights" to Antwerp from Amsterdam..............on the train. A specific train, not any one of the many that go that way......
KL/AF also books to a bus from YOW (well, XDS?) to YUL for flight connections
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the 1980s, LH operated special fancy trains about five times a day in each direction between FRA, Bonn, Koln, and DUS. It was about a $20 add on to a TWA TATL ticket. For departures, your bags were checked on the train, but you needed to deliver them to big trolleys on the platform of the FRA train station. You also supposedly checked in on the train, but I don't remember whether you also needed to go to the counter at FRA. (Obviously this was way back in history before OLCI.)
I remember these trains. I may still have a printed schedule somewhere....
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If you have ever done the Rio to Sao Paulo to US thing, you get a single itinerary with a flight from GIG to CGH, and then have to make your way across the city to GRU for the flight out of Brazil. BTW..make sure you have HOURS. It is a slow drive. There is a shuttle bus, but I think a taxi is probably quicker. Or a helicopter. I looked into the helicopter..it about 500 dollars.
Yeah I've done that a lot coming and going.

If it's not rush hour, or raining badly, you're OK though, as it is about 45 minutes by the airport shuttle bus which cost about R$15 back then. But otherwise I think it took me 4 hours once in a taxi while navigating rush hour "and" in a rainstorm !! Thankfully I only had 1-2 flight choices from SDU-CGH and they were early afternoon so I had the time to spare.

$500 US sounds brutal though, as you can go from the helipad on one high rise to another for $150 US in downtown GRU.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Emirates at one point (maybe they still do) sold tickets with the YVR-SEA segment on a bus.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:25 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
A pretty small-time example--but Kenmore Airlines operates out of Boeing Field in Seattle, yet sell tickets to SeaTac with a van connection.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by yytleisure
KL/AF also books to a bus from YOW (well, XDS?) to YUL for flight connections
Yup, and it counts towards elite qualification. First year I made gold, I would have missed it if those bus legs hadn't have counted.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:32 pm

I almost booked a BA flight connecting through LHR to BHX, until I realized that the last leg was a three hour National Express bus trip, after a few hour layover. Train would have been faster and less painful.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC UA or AA (legacy US) runs buses between Allentown PA and PHL, but I think there's talk of discontinuing this service.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We have local fog problems here in winter, and I've seen airlines handle IRROPS by flying into an airport that isn't fogged in followed by a charter bus to the passengers' ticketed destination. The airline's CoC says they'll try to get you where you're supposed to go, but it doesn't guarantee it will be by airplane.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
From the title I thought perhaps this thread was going to be about recreational drug use

I'd heard of a couple of these but didn't know how many such instances were out there. Pretty interesting!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Surprisingly it doesn't work that way in California. I don't know if the rules are different by state, but if you search for a bus from Sacramento to Stockton there is none available, but if you book from somewhere else (like Emeryville) it will show you an option taking a train to Sacramento then connecting to a bus (a direct bus Sacramento to Stockton).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.