Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best way to offload a hotel room in downtown Philly before the Super Bowl parade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to offload a hotel room in downtown Philly before the Super Bowl parade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott

I am new to FT and apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.

I purchased a hotel room on Orbitz in downtown Philadelphia for Wednesday night, well before the Eagles won the SB, before the parade (Thurs AM) was planned, etc. I NEVER book through Orbitz but it was like $150 cheaper to do so and I just decided it would be worth it, stupidly.

Anyway, the hotel is now completely sold out, as is everything else in the city. I have no interest in being there amidst all the SB chaos and am trying to figure out what I can do to recoup the money I spent. Any ideas? I have a room at the Loews for $200, if it matters. Is there anything better than Roomer?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Call the hotel and explain you don't want to be there during the chaos. They may let you out of it and refund your money.

They can get a lot of money for that room now, I'll bet.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Even though I bought from Orbitz?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Very possibly. It can't hurt to call and ask.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:45 am

List it on Craigslist for $500. Check in yourself, then resell it. Then you keep the extra profit instead of the hotel.
That's something I'd do if I were within a few hours drive from Philly
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by nd2010
List it on Craigslist for $500. Check in yourself, then resell it...
...and if the "buyer" drinks his|her way through the minibar, has a party and ends up trashing the hotel room?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
...and if the "buyer" drinks his her way through the minibar, has a party and ends up trashing the hotel room?
Have the 'buyer' meet OP at the check in desk, so that the buyer's credit card can be used as the incidentals and damage card for the room?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: none
Sometimes the situation changes. That's one of the downsides of booking so far in advance.

Good news, you got a good deal at the time. Bad news, it's no longer a good deal. Tough.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't there some website that lets you resell a hotel room to someone who wants it? However, this might just get you part of what you paid for the room and the website service might not have critical mass to provide good odds of a match.

You're taking a risk in having a stranger check in and use a hotel room for which you're responsible, especially is the other person is likely to want the room to celebrate the superbowl.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:59 am

Ask orbitz to check with the hotel if you cancel without charge. This has worked for me several times.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What happened?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Have the 'buyer' meet OP at the check in desk, so that the buyer's credit card can be used as the incidentals and damage card for the room?
Either way, OP remains on the hook. Perhaps jointly with the :buyer" No way does Orbitz or the property let OP off the hook, especially if OP has a nice fat juicy credit limit.

Or worse, the guy sells coke out of the room and gets caught and you wind up spending $50K in legal fees just to explain your way out of the mess.

There are some really bad ideas out there. This is one of them.

OP should just call the property. A cynical manager knows that OP will no show and just resells the room. A less cynical manager might just authorize the refund (through Orbitz).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by erik123
Ask orbitz to check with the hotel if you cancel without charge. This has worked for me several times.
Orbitz would love it to be cancelled. They charged you $200 originally when nothing was on in town and now I am sure they can charge $500 a night. They want you out.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Either way, OP remains on the hook. Perhaps jointly with the :buyer" No way does Orbitz or the property let OP off the hook, especially if OP has a nice fat juicy credit limit.

Or worse, the guy sells coke out of the room and gets caught and you wind up spending $50K in legal fees just to explain your way out of the mess.

There are some really bad ideas out there. This is one of them.

OP should just call the property. A cynical manager knows that OP will no show and just resells the room. A less cynical manager might just authorize the refund (through Orbitz).
Doubtful someone will sell drugs out of the room on the day of the parade. Save all correspondence indicating that you sold the room. Have them put their card on file so they get charged if they trash it.
Their name is on the room so they're responsible for it
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I think a Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl victory parade would more than qualify as a war zone/civil unrest area for credit card trip insurance

/sarcasm
jacobguo and trooper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.