Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I being dollar rich,penny poor or is this a good deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

I'm going to Germany, Austria, and Naples in Italy (been to Italy many times, just want to spend a few days in Naples).Naturally i can only travel from the 2nd week of June until the July 3 before I go back to work. I've been using Momondo, Skiplagged, Kayak, Google Flights, etc. to try to find the cheapest seat possible where I get to choose the seat and check in 1 piece of luggage. Alitalia ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought, as did Wow! and Norwegian.

Sunday evening I found a flight that I thought was reasonable with American. LAX to LHR, just a 90 minute layover and then LHR to ZURICH. This included the seat assignment and luggage for $595 (If I took the flight a day earlier it would have been $530 but I would have had to have missed a day at work and don't want to cause problems for my employer since I'm fairly new).

I would then catch a flight to Naples which costs $58 plus $30-$45 for luggage. I know I could start in Germany, Austria, then fly to Naples and then fly to Zurich, but I would rather go to Naples while it isn't that hot.

I have a few hours where I could cancel the flight right now (should have posted this yesterday).

Not sure if I should cancel and just keep searching. Ideally I would have liked to have arrived in Rome or Naples and flown out of Berlin however it seemed extremely expensive for the flying out of 2 different airports. I looked into booking 2 separate one way tickets as well.

Should I buy this ticket or cancel?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If the price is satisfactory to you, I'd say stick with it.
mromalley likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

90 minutes can be problematic for a transfer at LHR, but if it is all on one ticket, hopefully you would be protected on the next flight if something goes wrong.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JustineG
Yes given the constraint you have.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
With budget a concern, an possibility you could rethink the checked luggage and get by with just carry-on? Many people here do that (including me). There are other advantages besides financial like not having to wait for it to arrive, no chance of it getting lost, no porter or cart fees, etc..
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You Americans are spoiled $600 return from LAX-ZRH isn't an amazing price, but for peak summer travel that's pretty damn good. Cheapest price with flexible dates around then from up here at YVR...$862 USD.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:15 am

I'm going to Germany, Austria, and Naples in Italy (been to Italy many times, just want to spend a few days in Naples).Naturally i can only travel from the 2nd week of June until the July 3 before I go back to work. I've been using Momondo, Skiplagged, Kayak, Google Flights, etc. to try to find the cheapest seat possible where I get to choose the seat and check in 1 piece of luggage. Alitalia ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought, as did Wow! and Norwegian.

Sunday evening I found a flight that I thought was reasonable with American. LAX to LHR, just a 90 minute layover and then LHR to ZURICH. This included the seat assignment and luggage for $595 (If I took the flight a day earlier it would have been $530 but I would have had to have missed a day at work and don't want to cause problems for my employer since I'm fairly new).

I would then catch a flight to Naples which costs $58 plus $30-$45 for luggage. I know I could start in Germany, Austria, then fly to Naples and then fly to Zurich, but I would rather go to Naples while it isn't that hot.

I have a few hours where I could cancel the flight right now (should have posted this yesterday).

Not sure if I should cancel and just keep searching. Ideally I would have liked to have arrived in Rome or Naples and flown out of Berlin however it seemed extremely expensive for the flying out of 2 different airports. I looked into booking 2 separate one way tickets as well.

I advise you to buy it.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
90 minutes can be problematic for a transfer at LHR, but if it is all on one ticket, hopefully you would be protected on the next flight if something goes wrong.
That "all on one ticket" point is critical. If not, if anything goes wrong, you will not be protected should you not be able to make your next flight (maybe if in the same alliance, but that is at their discretion).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Price seems right, and AA is certainly better than Norwegian. The only concern I would have is that 90 minute layover. That's tight. Especially at LHR. If you split itineraries you will be out of luck if you miss your connection. Besides, that's a LONG haul. Do you have to do it in the same day?

Were I in your shoes, I would take the LAX-LHR and sleep at a hotel in London for the night, then get a flight out the following day. I am a long haul flyer, and after flights longer than 8 hours I am pretty much a zombie by the time I get there. I couldn't imagine having to face more flying time and a connection. Maybe I am just old.

But the other advantage would be for reducing the risk of missing the flight due to that 90 minute window and having split carriers who are not responsible to compensate you if you miss it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.